Life of a Christian

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 27, 2022
The point of this thread is to have a debate on what life as a Christian is suppose to be like. When Jesus was on this earth, there were verses in the bible saying that we should sell all that we have and follow him. IMO this is a controversial statement as that all but guarantees you'll never have anything in this life.

Enter into the straight gate, for broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many go to it. Enter into the narrow gate, for narrow is the way and few will find it.

Some of Jesus' teachings seem, at first glance, unreasonable. It seems like God doesn't want us to have anything on this earth, and expects us to be (or live) a certain while we are suffering. Christians being persecuted around the world for nothing but expressing their faith. Hatred directed at Christians making it nearly impossible to make friends with anyone other then a fellow Christian (understandable though), etc.
All these things make feel that God can be unfair, but that's not really my question. My question is mostly a confirmation. Are we suppose to just "drop it all" and forget about marriage and children? To forget about working and setting one's self for success? And to expect constant suffering with little to no breaks, while serving God (nothing wrong with that) and waiting for some unknown date for him to return?
God told Abraham to get thee out of thy country unto a land that I will show thee. By faith Abraham listened to the Lord and did as instructed and was abundantly blessed all through his life. All thorough the ages God has blessed those that follow him and expects them to be happy, to live a good life and to raise a family that reverences God. You may suffer persecution in this world for trusting and believing in God. That's ok. If they persecuted Jesus, they will also persecute you. Understand that you must be willing to leave all your worldly goods behind to follow God's instructions should he call you for a purpose. The works of God are more important than anything we can imagine to do. Some are too tied down in the things of the world and find it hard to let go of their possessions in order to do the works of God. Our rewards are in heaven, not in this earth age.

lonelysummer

Nov 30, 2022
The point of this thread is to have a debate on what life as a Christian is suppose to be like. When Jesus was on this earth, there were verses in the bible saying that we should sell all that we have and follow him. IMO this is a controversial statement as that all but guarantees you'll never have anything in this life.

Enter into the straight gate, for broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many go to it. Enter into the narrow gate, for narrow is the way and few will find it.

Some of Jesus' teachings seem, at first glance, unreasonable. It seems like God doesn't want us to have anything on this earth, and expects us to be (or live) a certain while we are suffering. Christians being persecuted around the world for nothing but expressing their faith. Hatred directed at Christians making it nearly impossible to make friends with anyone other then a fellow Christian (understandable though), etc.
All these things make feel that God can be unfair, but that's not really my question. My question is mostly a confirmation. Are we suppose to just "drop it all" and forget about marriage and children? To forget about working and setting one's self for success? And to expect constant suffering with little to no breaks, while serving God (nothing wrong with that) and waiting for some unknown date for him to return?
I've been asking the same questions lately. Yes, there are verses that imply the thing to do is "give up all you own, all of your comforts, and just roam the world preaching the gospel to every creature".
Okay, so I give up the apartment I am living in. I give my car away; i give up all my possessions - and I don't own a lot - and just live on the street, in the same clothes every day, I don't have a place to live, and I have to depend on the kindness of strangers for food, because I've given away all my money; oh, and I have to carry a cross with me everywhere I go. I start to become a burden on others, because I am always sleeping on THEIR doorway, and I gross people out because I have to place to shower or bathe.
Yeah, it doesn't sound like much of a life. It's certainly not a life I want. Maybe I'm selfish.
I've stopped taking Jesus' words literally. If I did, I'd be walking around with my eyes gouged out because I couldn't stop noticing the pretty girls passing by; I cut off my arms because they were causing me to sin as well.
That way might be the right way for some, but I don't know anyone living like that.