Looking for a good read.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

jimmydiggs

Okay, So I like reading. Typically I read non-fiction. I like facts. Recently I read Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. I am thinking of reading 1984 by George Orwell.

Any suggestions?

W

wwjd_kilden

facts as in books based on true stories in general, or as in history books?

Song for a Raggy Boy- Patrick Galvin (I've only seen the movie for that tone, but I bet the book is better)
Angela's ashes - Frank McCourt (book far better than the movie that was released)

Both of those take place in Ireland

J

jimmydiggs

The facts can be a true story, history, or say 'everything you'd want to know about subject X".

A

AnandaHya

I'm reading "My Life" by Bill Clinton. its kind of funny he writes like a good ole southern boy in the way he tells his stories of his life.

Snackersmom

May 10, 2011
I read "1984", I liked the first couple of chapters, but the middle was sorta dry. "Animal Farm" (also by Orwel) was a bit faster-paced, with a similar message, and more interesting, I.M.H.Opinion, but maybe that says more about my attention span than it does about Orwel's writing :p

Corrie Ten Boom's books are really good, "The Hiding Place" was my favorite.

"Adventures in Two Worlds" is one of my favorites, it's a collection of real-life short stories by a doctor named A.J Cronin. It made me laugh, cry, and think, all signs of a good book in my opinion.

"The Cross and The Switchblade" Really interesting, read it twice.

"How to Live Like a King's Kid" by Harold Hill, amusingly written lighthearted account of the author's growth in Christ.

"The Persecutor" by Sergei Kourdakov, a fascinating true story about persecution in the U.S.S.R in the 60's & 70's, written by a guy who was on the squad in charge of breaking up underground churches. The author fled to America, got saved, wrote the book, and was killed shortly thereafter, presumably by Russian operatives :(

I can't really say that any of these books contain a lot of facts, but they are all well-written accounts of the human experience, which is the kind of book I tend to like. Hope this helps! :)

U

Ugly

I thought 1984 and would totally recommend it. Awesome book start to finish.

S

Steve4U

"In literature and our choice of wife, we surprise our closest friends". It's a little hard to know your tastes, Mr diggs. I haven't watched TV these 20 years so I've read over1000 books. -- Non-fiction, I hardly read fiction. English, Scots and American history, travel, sociology, Christian testimony, psycology, economics and biography.

I am an innocent and sunshiney man. What appeals to me may not appeal to you. So in, say, biography I enjoyed "As I Walked Out One Summer's Morning" by Laurie Lee, and "A Fortunate Life" by A.B.Facey, young men rising up through hardship to a simple, happy life. I did read all the great Victorian adventure novels once, and "Quentin Durward" and "Westward Ho" would be the pick of them, although in that they didn't get off to the pirate seas until p300-plus. Westerns: "The Homesman" and "Riders of the Purple Sage" (were not simple). Sci-fi: "Herio's Journey", gosh, there's no end is there.

H

HeIsNowHere

Okay, So I like reading. Typically I read non-fiction. I like facts. Recently I read Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. I am thinking of reading 1984 by George Orwell.

Any suggestions?
Read the book Heaven by Randy Alcorn. He spent 35 years reaching this subject. It is well written. Then read, "Heaven is for Real" a book about a 4 year old who dies and went to heaven. It is amazing.

They to fill your mind by seeking who God is and you will be rewarded.

A

AgeofKnowledge

Like Steve, I too have read a great deal of books over my life. I've read out public libraries in sizably populated areas and used to go to used bookstores and buy them by the box when I was younger. However, since public integration to the Internet I read less than I once did.

Here's a book I found challenging after about the midway point:

Dec 19, 2009

Any suggestions?
Willa Cather, Conrad Richter, and Mildred Walker are my favorite fiction writers.