Lord have mercy on me...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 12, 2009
Is it possible to have belief with out having faith? I think it is, why, because I don't doubt that there is a God out there. However, how can someone ask me to have faith in a God that might come through for me. I believe that preparation is more important than faith. I don't think that God will provide for me all the time and I wouldn't count on him to. A lot of people always pull up the verse or verses that talk about God doing what is best for you, and I am just like really, are you sure? Because I remember looking and reading in the history books about Christians getting drug off and fed to hungry lions, dogs, and other creatures. Did God really protect them, it nice that we all have this nice little lesson about humility because they died, but I would much rather stay alive and you can keep the lesson.

If you are still wondering why I find it hard to put faith in God, because when I was a kid, my mom used to say that sometimes God says yes and sometimes God says no. Ok, thats cool, but don't ask me to have faith him. Faith is coming through, and so far God has about as much incentive to come through for me as he has not to.

If you ask a police officer why they use the Glock 17 as their service pistol they will say that it is reliable and they know that in a life and death situation when they pull that trigger the gun will fire. That is how I am about faith, I want to know when I put my faith in something I isn't gonna jam on me in the middle of a life and death situation.

How can you ask me to put my faith in something or someone that isn't promising me that they will help out. I would rather be prepared and know the chances that I have that roll the dice and have a 50/50 that God is gonna help me out.

Jan 31, 2009
Wow, I was not sure about you, before now, But let me see if I can help,
Mr 6:4But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.Mr 6:5And he could there do no mighty work, save that he laid his hands upon a few sick folk, and healed them.Mr 6:6And he marvelled because of their unbelief. And he went round about the villages, teaching.

Jesus here could only heal a few sick folk, because Of their unbelief. this is the part I struggle with on faith, Christians trust God for their salvation( well most Christians) the teaching of walking or falling from your salvation is a teaching of lack of faith also. It is God that saves you and keeps you saved. not yourself at least you could boast I KEPT MYSELF SAVED. but those that trust God to save and keep saved struggle with their day to day faith. faith That God can keep them unspotted

Jude 1:24Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,Jude 1:25To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and for ever. Amen.

Faith that can keep them out of temptations,

2pe 2:9The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of TEMPTATIONS, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:

and so on and so on,

Jas 2:19Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

Heb 11:6But WITHOUT FAITH it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

see just to believe that there is a God is not good enough.
Ro 10:8But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;Ro 10:9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.Ro 10:10For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.Ro 10:11For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.Ro 10:12For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.Ro 10:13For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

this is not a confession of your sins, but to confess Him as Lord, and believe that God raised Him from the dead. Just because God says no to your prayers doesn't mean that He is not who He said He is. for He never promised you, your ever request He did promise us our needs If you have made Him Lord, then you should know That when He says know it is in your best intertest.

S

Slepsog4

We live in a fallen world where everyone is going to die and most will go to hell.

God allowed miracles to show people glimpses of what can be. But none of that was permanent. Only in the resurrection will we be forever removed from the evils of this life.

God is not nearly as concerned about our physical circumstances as he is the spiritual. He is even willing to sacrifice the one on behalf of the other.

Jan 31, 2009
I want to share a story, there are many stories that could help,

There was once a man whose job was to let the bridge up when boats came through the gulf, often times he allowed his young son to go with him and his son played along the water's edge. One day Just as a passenger ship was appoaching, The man heard a faint cry for help. He looked and saw that his son had gotten his foot caught in the rocks and had fallen into the water, unable to free himself, if the man went to rescue his son, he wouldn't be able to raise the bridge to allow the ship to past, the ship would cursh into the bridge possible killing many people. and if he raised the bridged first then went to help His son he might not get there in time. He had a discision. He Chose to rasied the Bridge, His son died.

we might think That he made the right decision, he saved many people, over His own son's life. but we don't see like faith, here we can not see the big picture in our life we can not look into the future to see if our prayer request is the best thing for us , But God can and that is where faith comes in, to trust God even when we think He is wrong, or to trust God to never be wrong.
for what if the man's son would had been the one God had blessed with the cure of cancer, or if he was supposed to be the next Billy Graham
How many lives could this young man saved or make a difference to. many more than was on that ship that day. we can never Know, But God does know.

I also wanted to say in my posting that you are focused too much on this life, it is the life after this life, that God is concern about . God does not look at life or death as we do, you see death is not a penalty but rather a step closer to God.
Ec 7:1A good name is better than precious ointment; and the day of death than the day of one's birth.

here is another web site that teaches us about faith hope you enjoy it

http://www.ticz.com/homes/users/bob/The-Rope/The-Rope.htm

Jan 12, 2009
We live in a fallen world where everyone is going to die and most will go to hell.

God allowed miracles to show people glimpses of what can be. But none of that was permanent. Only in the resurrection will we be forever removed from the evils of this life.

God is not nearly as concerned about our physical circumstances as he is the spiritual. He is even willing to sacrifice the one on behalf of the other.

Ends justifies the means???

Mar 11, 2009
peace be to you

Quot;I remember looking and reading in the history books about Christians getting drug off and fed to hungry lions, dogs, and other creatures. Did God really protect them, it nice that we all have this nice little lesson about humility because they died, but I would much rather stay alive and you can keep the lesson.

There is nothing that is being done in this World that God cant undo.Belief in God is a start which all us took.Then what ya do is start doing some stuff God tells you to do.He will walks toward ya if ya start.

God Almight quot;
For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye.
As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die.

God wants them men to turn from there ways and stop feeding us to animals.He is longsuffering to them wanting them to turn and live .We have life after death.God is who we want to be with.If we die we get to be in a better place.

quot;How can you ask me to put my faith in something or someone that isn't promising me that they will help out. I would rather be prepared and know the chances that I have that roll the dice and have a 50/50 that God is gonna help me out.

He does promise us and he does deliever.He promises what you do for people now in his name(like love thy nieghber like you love yourself) he will return 7 times fold in this lifetime and the next.He is with me now Chopsui.He tells me its okay.

Ask him chopsui

Love a friend in God

G

Gwennifer

I'm with you here! I think it's wrong to sit and let life go by because god will make your decisions. Saying "god will fine me my husband" or "god will give me an A on my test" is just as silly as saying "I don't need to set an alarm, because god will wake me up". You can't spend your life relying on someone bigger than you to solve your problems, you have to get out there and do it yourself. If you were talking spiritually, sure, that's when you turn to god. But having blind faith that he will provide the opportunities is an insult.
It's just as bad to make a decision then say it wasn't yours, it was god's. I think saying "I didn't choose to raise the bridge and leave my child, god did" is just making an excuse for your own decision. I could also say "I didn't study for my exam because god guided me not to" or I could say "I didn't study because my favourite show was on." Both are making excuses, but which is the truth?

Jan 12, 2009
peace be to you

Quot;I remember looking and reading in the history books about Christians getting drug off and fed to hungry lions, dogs, and other creatures. Did God really protect them, it nice that we all have this nice little lesson about humility because they died, but I would much rather stay alive and you can keep the lesson.

There is nothing that is being done in this World that God cant undo.Belief in God is a start which all us took.Then what ya do is start doing some stuff God tells you to do.He will walks toward ya if ya start.

God Almight quot;
For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye.
As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die.

God wants them men to turn from there ways and stop feeding us to animals.He is longsuffering to them wanting them to turn and live .We have life after death.God is who we want to be with.If we die we get to be in a better place.

quot;How can you ask me to put my faith in something or someone that isn't promising me that they will help out. I would rather be prepared and know the chances that I have that roll the dice and have a 50/50 that God is gonna help me out.

He does promise us and he does deliever.He promises what you do for people now in his name(like love thy nieghber like you love yourself) he will return 7 times fold in this lifetime and the next.He is with me now Chopsui.He tells me its okay.

Ask him chopsui

Love a friend in God

Does God not say that he will protect us and will be a rock and a fortress to us...yet some how sometimes we still get wasted. If God says he is gonna help me, how I want to know that he is gonna help me 100% of the time...not just when its convenient for him or when he is in the mood. If I can only count on God 50% of the time and I don't know which 50% it is...then he can't complain that I am gonna put faith in myself 100% of the time and if he jumps in then good for him. But if I can't rely on him 100% to help me, then I really can't be excepted to rely on him at anytime.

I think that all things are possible if you are willing to do what it takes.

Jan 12, 2009
If someone is coming to kill me or hurt me, I am not waiting to see if God is gonna have a divine miracle and save me, I'm grabbin my strap and blasting him. You can call me little faith, and that God always provides but history teaches us that there are a lot of dead Christians who had your train of thought and they are dead. that is just how I am, I am doer, and I don't have strong motivation not to unless I have a clear cut path about whats gonna happen and details and so far God has vague promises that once we read the fine print we find he has plenty of wiggle room to squeeze out.

Sorry if this offends people but no where in the bible does it say God is gonna help you. It says he might, or he can if he feels like it. Look at all the dead Christians not much good it did them. So if God won't help you, who is gonna help you...obviously you are....

B

Baptistrw

27 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, 28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you. 29 And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also. 30 Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again. 31 And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. 32 For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. 33 And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same. 34 And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again. 35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. 36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. Luke 6:27-36 (KJV)

88keys

Hey Chops!

I'm so glad you shared your feelings here. I hope I can help a little.

You said, "Is it possible to have belief with out having faith?" I agree with you that it is. The bible even agrees with you! It says that the devils also believe, and tremble. So belief in God is very different from having faith in God. From reading your posts I encourage you to move from just belief to saving faith.

Lets just get real here...Chops you are going to die. It may be old age, a disease, car wreck, gunshot, drowning, etc. but you will die; the question is "when" and then"where" will you spend eternity. The disciple John who walked with Jesus on this earth 2000 years ago was beheaded. Also the disciple Peter was crucified upside down, so being a Christian obviously doesn't always protect you from danger or death. Job in the bible was a good, rich, and righteous man but God allowed satan to take his wealth, his health, and his family (but God did bless Job's latter life even more than the beginning). Even when Job's wife told him to curse God and die Job told her that she spoke like a foolish woman! Job also said "even though He slay me yet will I trust Him"! Most recently remember Columbine? The shooters asked a teenage girl if she was a Christian and she said yes - they shot her dead. She could have easily said no and lived. Often times God does devinely protect us such as when the three Hebrew children were thrown in the fire because they would not bow to the king's gods nor worship the golden image which the king commanded - Not one of their hairs were singed. But they said even if the God we serve doesn't deliver us we still will not bow to your gods. These are just a few examples of what real faith in Christ is.

God NEVER promised that his children would not endure hardships, disappointments, and even death but He did say he would be with us through them. Our life here on earth is like a single grain of sand in the entire sea compaired to eternity. We seem to be able to trust Him with the sea but not our little grain. Chops, God has a plan for your life because He already knows the details of what is to come. You can't know what will happen in the next minute. We have to do the best we can and prepare for what we know but we must place the unknown in God's hands. If God is who He says He is then it would be ludicrous of us not to trust Him. Even when it doesn't seem to add up. It is all about belief with faith and trust in Jesus.

You won't understand it fully until you ask Him to come into your heart and fill you with His love. joy, peace, and understanding. Second step - faith comes by hearing and reading the word of God.

Take care my brother.

A

Abing

chop chop - i agree that you have to do something to save yourself when it comes to tough situations and things like that, its the same thing with God. you will NEVER have faith in Him if you don't get to know Him.. and thats a decision YOU make.

and the most important thing that most people dont get is that..... its NOT ABOUT YOU/ME. its about God.
first things first.. We were made for HIM. HE wasn't made for us... until you get to realize that you will NEVER have faith in Him.

J

juspekatzus

Our father does not make deals. For all our depts and sins were paid in full on the cross. However, he does want to reason with you, for he's knocking ever so gently at your heart, for he knows all thats been sown there. He wants to come in and sup with you. He is a loving father, who wants you to have whats best for you, not what you may think right now is best. For he is very protective over you, and wants to keep you from the all the hurts in this world. Let him in, he's waiting for you.
keep in his word

Jan 12, 2009
chop chop - i agree that you have to do something to save yourself when it comes to tough situations and things like that, its the same thing with God. you will NEVER have faith in Him if you don't get to know Him.. and thats a decision YOU make.

and the most important thing that most people dont get is that..... its NOT ABOUT YOU/ME. its about God.
first things first.. We were made for HIM. HE wasn't made for us... until you get to realize that you will NEVER have faith in Him.

But, if he gives us the freedom to choose...doesn't he need some kind of incentive to help us choose him...i just can't imagine putting my faith into someone who might come through or might not....

B

Baptistrw

But, if he gives us the freedom to choose...doesn't he need some kind of incentive to help us choose him...i just can't imagine putting my faith into someone who might come through or might not....
God will always come through, just in ways we can't imagine. His will is greater than our will. Our earthly fathers sometimes put us through things to teach us and help us grow even if they are difficult, our Heavenly Father does likewise.

A

Abing

i used to think that way before..... well.. um, actually, ive always thought that, thats why in the bible it's said, it's the narrow way. lol, its never easy to just put your faith into something, without understanding what it really is.. , hehe, but i thought to myself, if i were to live only once, then let me give my everything to my God who promised me so many things and shown me miracles i couldn't even explain., coz I myself couldn't promise me that lol. so yeah i took the challenge and the Lord had mercy on me

A

angelsweet

Faith as an existential act is a risk. A submission. Obedience.

Satan believes too and trembles. But he has no faith.

"Without faith, it is impossible to please God."

D

dane_g87

Chop you are too set on the physical realm of things. You read verses saying God is there to protect His people and be a "fortress" for them, and believe this means He will protect you 100% physically. The problem here is that God is not speaking about the same thing that you are thinking of. God is speaking about spiritual security and well being. You are repeating the same error that the disciples of Christ had before His resurrection. What did they do? They fled away in fear because they were concerned for their physical well-being. They fled from the soldiers at Jesus' arrest, and they even denied knowing Him for fear of the authorities. However, after the resurrection of Christ, these same disciples never once regarded their lives, their physical welfare, for the truth of Jesus Christ. Because they witnessed His resurrection and knew first hand the reality of eternal life...things which they did not understand prior. What happens in this world is nothing compared to the world to come. Jesus declared that we are not to "fear those which can only kill the body" (Matt 10:28). You are worried about the physical aspect of things, and your concern for your physical welfare has clouded your mind and caused you to doubt even the promise and word of God. God doesn't say He protects His people for a reason. The protection He speaks of is spiritually oriented. Our physical welfare is not guaranteed. How could it be, in a world of sin? Something bad happening is inevitable.

The apostle Paul was persecuted plenty times. In fact, he lists all the things that happened to him, as a result of being a faithful Christian and preaching the gospel: Paul received many stripes (strokes from a whip), was beaten with rods, was stoned by a crowd and left for dead, shipwrecked 3 times, been lost at sea, suffered from extended journeys, treacherous waters while at sea, suffered from robbers, suffered from conflicts with his own countrymen as well as foreigners, persecution in the cities as well as outside the cities, persecution from non-Christians; he was weary and restless, hungry and thirsty for the longest of times (2 Corinthians 11:24-28). The ministers of God during the time around 2000 years ago suffered from the same fate - tribulations, distresses, stripes/floggings, even imprisonments, tumults, labors, and restlessness (2 Corinthians 6:4-5).

As a Christian, our physical welfare is not guaranteed nor should it be regarded above our spiritual welfare. As a matter of fact, the Bible explicitly PROMISES us that we will suffer persecution:

(2 Timothy 3:12) Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.

It has been granted to us, on behalf of Christ, for us to not only believe in Him but to suffer for His sake (Philippians 1:29). Why must Christians suffer? For being faithful to Christ amidst a world that hates Christ. If the world hates Christ, how is it a surprise if it hates those who follow Christ? We suffer for speaking the truth about Christ that the world doesn't want to hear. This suffering is promised and expected as a Christian. You have absolutely no grounds to complain about your suffering that you may have experienced, in the face of all the suffering the apostle Paul (and others) went through. Apart from the other things, understand that Paul was stoned by a large and furious crowd. Perhaps you don't understand the nature of this. These aren't small pebbles you pick up on the side of the road. When stonings occured, they involved large brick-like objects, hurling them at the person being stoned. Paul experienced this for being a true Christian, and was left for dead. Yet despite this, and the rest of his persecutions, Paul remained one of the most faithful of Christ's ministers. Those who claim to be Christian but don't suffer in this life, concerning physical welfare, are not truly Christian because the Bible has clearly promised that "those who desire to live godly in Christ" will suffer persecution. And those who desire to be Christian apart from having to deal with such persecution, need to rethink this decision because to be a Christian involves and requires the suffering for the sake of Christ.

K

KingdomGeneration

Is it possible to have belief with out having faith? I think it is, why, because I don't doubt that there is a God out there. However, how can someone ask me to have faith in a God that might come through for me. I believe that preparation is more important than faith. I don't think that God will provide for me all the time and I wouldn't count on him to. A lot of people always pull up the verse or verses that talk about God doing what is best for you, and I am just like really, are you sure? Because I remember looking and reading in the history books about Christians getting drug off and fed to hungry lions, dogs, and other creatures. Did God really protect them, it nice that we all have this nice little lesson about humility because they died, but I would much rather stay alive and you can keep the lesson.

If you are still wondering why I find it hard to put faith in God, because when I was a kid, my mom used to say that sometimes God says yes and sometimes God says no. Ok, thats cool, but don't ask me to have faith him. Faith is coming through, and so far God has about as much incentive to come through for me as he has not to.

If you ask a police officer why they use the Glock 17 as their service pistol they will say that it is reliable and they know that in a life and death situation when they pull that trigger the gun will fire. That is how I am about faith, I want to know when I put my faith in something I isn't gonna jam on me in the middle of a life and death situation.

How can you ask me to put my faith in something or someone that isn't promising me that they will help out. I would rather be prepared and know the chances that I have that roll the dice and have a 50/50 that God is gonna help me out.
Faith and believing are basically the same however faith takes things a step further by requiring that we act upon our belief. That is why the bible tells us that when we became saved we are supposed to confess / share our salvation to / with others.

The bible tells us that it is impossible to please God without faith. Scripture also tells how one can grow in faith and also warns us about neglecting faith. While everyone has there own struggles that they must deal and sometimes wrestle with, I personally believe that if we allow our faith to dwindle down to nothing, we can and sometimes do find ourselves in a back slidden state.

Anyways, it sounds as if you may be doing some serious soul searching. If so, I know exactly where you are coming from. I have to keep reminding myself that despite the fact that I may be struggling over certain issues, God knows what's best for me and that all good things happen in due (His) time.

Status
Not open for further replies.