Lord's Prayer Doxology

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 5, 2012
I have tried to find out where did this doxology came from. Some research have shown me this is not in the original scriptures, and some bible translations do not have it written following the Lord's Prayer. Does any one have good research on this? Or knows how it came to be!

For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours, now and for ever

God Bless you all.

Nov 29, 2012
"Another familiar doxology is the one often added at the end of the Lord's Prayer: "For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever and ever, Amen." This is found in manuscripts representative of the Byzantine text of Matthew 6:13, but not in the most ancient manuscripts. Most scholars do not consider it part of the original text of Matthew, and modern translations do not include it, mentioning it only in footnotes. The same doxology, in the form "For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours, now and for ever", is used in the Roman Rite of the Mass, after the Embolism. The Catholic Encyclopedia (1914) states that this doxology "appears in the Greek textus receptus and has been adopted in the later editions of the Book of Common Prayer, [and] is undoubtedly an interpolation."

Source: Doxology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not in Luke btw (Luke 11: 2-4)

Dec 5, 2012
That is your only source wikipedia. any one else?

L

Laodicea

Matthew 6:13 KJV
(13) And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Dec 5, 2012
(13) And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
So where did it came from if it is not in original scripture?

Dec 5, 2012
The doxology is not in the original scriptures. That is the question. I know it is some bibles. But it is not in the originals. If your claim is that it was on older scriptures then why was it added is my question. Besides we have two forms if the Our Father written in the bible.

L

Laodicea

The doxology is not in the original scriptures. That is the question. I know it is some bibles. But it is not in the originals. If your claim is that it was on older scriptures then why was it added is my question. Besides we have two forms if the Our Father written in the bible.

Read the info from the site.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
does it matter? i mean its not like it changes the meaning of the lords prayer. So lets just say people wanteda nice way to end it. also it is in the

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.'

Holman Christian Standard Bible (©2009)
And do not bring us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.

Dec 5, 2012
Read the info from the site.
Yea! a website that glorifies one bible over every one else's, to me it is not a reliable source. Too bias in my opinion.
come on 1611 King James Bible dot com.

From the website you want me to trust.

"Therefore, when you hear or read of someone "correcting" the King James Bible with "older" or "more authoritative" manuscripts, you are simply hearing someone trying to use a corrupted, pagan, gnostic, ecumenical, Roman Catholic text to overthrow the God-honored text of the Protestant Reformation and the great revivals."

L

Laodicea

Yea! a website that glorifies one bible over every one else's, to me it is not a reliable source. Too bias in my opinion.
come on 1611 King James Bible dot com.

From the website you want me to trust.

"Therefore, when you hear or read of someone "correcting" the King James Bible with "older" or "more authoritative" manuscripts, you are simply hearing someone trying to use a corrupted, pagan, gnostic, ecumenical, Roman Catholic text to overthrow the God-honored text of the Protestant Reformation and the great revivals."
The KJV is translated from the majority text which is over 95% of ancient manuscripts, while other versions are translated from the minority text which is only about 5% and which contradict each other.

L

Laodicea

I have tried to find out where did this doxology came from. Some research have shown me this is not in the original scriptures, and some bible translations do not have it written following the Lord's Prayer. Does any one have good research on this? Or knows how it came to be!

For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours, now and for ever

God Bless you all.
This is found in the KJV

The KJV is as explained from the majority text.

Dec 5, 2012
This is found in the KJV

The KJV is as explained from the majority text.
We have been trough this on other threads where you keep repeating the same over and over, and round and round we go. I am trying to get a pleasant discussion here and you are turning the subject to a different route. You will not convince me of the purity of the KJV., there is already a thread for that. This thread is intended for the history of the Doxology in the Lords prayer. How did it came to be, and noticed I said it is not in earlier texts.