Love and marriage part 1, Intrada

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

toinena

A wise guy said to me that a Biblical marriage is when the husband loves his wife and the wife respects the husband.

As I have lived in a marriage that I failed, I wanted to watch it in the view of that simple statement.

I want to make this into a series of entries, and I don't want to sound like I have the answer. It is more a travel through my own thoughts, experiences and hopefully I will mature as the series evolve.

I would love to hear your input but as this is a blog, I don't expect it to be crowded.

But let's first play with the difference of love and being in love.

Some say being in love is a chemical reaction that can last up to 2 years. And it is normal to daydream and construct visions of the greatness of a life together during that time.

Can a marriage be so that you fall in love over and over again? Will that be a constructive way of being together?

Should you get married before the two years of being in love have passed? And with that get married when you are still under the influence of a substance that blurs your mind?

I got married to my husband just before 2 years had gone. Did I love him? I am not really sure! I knew it was heading for disaster and I got married out of a sense of duty. What would people think if we cancelled our wedding? Do we have to return our engagement presents? What about the fact we had lived together 1.5 years already? It would be better to go through with it, my year old head concluded.

That being said. I do love being in love. The energy I get, makes me feel strong and invincible. I remember once I was in love with the sweetest man I have ever met. I could swim twice the distance I normally could. I slept a third of what I normally did. I ate a fourth as I normally would.

This has happened many times in my life. Sometimes stronger than others. It transforms me and makes me absolutely silly. Trying to concentrate on other things is almost impossible, but the sense of being superior somehow compensates for that.

Is being in love a good foundation for marriage? Is it so that the chance for succeeding corresponds with the intensity of the chemical reaction? I am afraid it is rather the opposite.