love songs. Human reciprocal adoration?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 14, 2021
In my lifetime I have never heard a single love song that doesn't contain expressions that should be used only towards God, but are directed to men/women instead. "Can't live without you", "you're everything to me", "you give me the strenght to live on", and so on. I callenge you to share any love song you'd like and we'll be able to find some kind of human adoration in it. If so, have we accepted to live, at least in certain point of our lives, in a form of idolatry?

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
In my lifetime I have never heard a single love song that doesn't contain expressions that should be used only towards God, but are directed to men/women instead. "Can't live without you", "you're everything to me", "you give me the strenght to live on", and so on. I callenge you to share any love song you'd like and we'll be able to find some kind of human adoration in it. If so, have we accepted to live, at least in certain point of our lives, in a form of idolatry?
Song writing is often not intended to be literal. "Poetic license" js all about understanding the non-literal intent of words in a song. Obviously people usually don't die without their partners love. And people understand this. The purpose of romantic songs is to express a depth of emotion, not a theological debate.
And since most love songs are written by non-Christians holding them to a standard set by God is pointless. Pointing at the words of non-Christians and saying "that's bad" takes zero insight, intellect or deep spiritual maturity. It's more like shooting fish in a barrel.
Threads created with the point of finding fault in the topic seem rather fruitless. And, to me, suggest a lack of spiritual maturity in its own right.

May 14, 2021
Song writing is often not intended to be literal. "Poetic license" js all about understanding the non-literal intent of words in a song. Obviously people usually don't die without their partners love. And people understand this. The purpose of romantic songs is to express a depth of emotion, not a theological debate.
And since most love songs are written by non-Christians holding them to a standard set by God is pointless. Pointing at the words of non-Christians and saying "that's bad" takes zero insight, intellect or deep spiritual maturity. It's more like shooting fish in a barrel.
Threads created with the point of finding fault in the topic seem rather fruitless. And, to me, suggest a lack of spiritual maturity in its own right.
Christ may bless you. I believe it is worthy for young people to have more insight on the call for the remewal of our minds, which involves to progressively leave behind our old self, and everything that opposses to this process. I am aware that the phrases I quoted are not to be taken literally, but they have an impact on people's souls, including christians. My message is for believers in Christ, inlcuding myself, which may have been succeptible to be strongly influenced by music.

Proverbs 4:23
23 Above all else, guard your heart,
for everything you do flows from it.

Romans 12:2
2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Colossians 3:17
17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Galatians 2:20
20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Christ may bless you. I believe it is worthy for young people to have more insight on the call for the remewal of our minds, which involves to progressively leave behind our old self, and everything that opposses to this process. I am aware that the phrases I quoted are not to be taken literally, but they have an impact on people's souls, including christians. My message is for believers in Christ, inlcuding myself, which may have been succeptible to be strongly influenced by music.

Proverbs 4:23
23 Above all else, guard your heart,
for everything you do flows from it.

Romans 12:2
2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Colossians 3:17
17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Galatians 2:20
20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
So your response is "I know, but I'm ignoring that" I'm sensing a theme in how you choose to view things. Ignore anything, even scripture, that contradicts your statements.

May 14, 2021
I think many believers in Christ, including me, have a strong battle against giving too much attention at finding a romantic partner.
Since our Lord called us to the renewal of our minds, I believe it's good being careful about how this world feeds our minds, the things we accept as just normal but can distort our vision of a healthy relationship.
This was the reason of a post I created in the Christian Young Adults Forum, titled: "love songs, human reciprocal adoration?" This may seem exaggerated, but when people are facing loneliness our feelings and minds can be easily influenced and directed in the wrong way, so the content of the music we hear could lead us even into depressive and misleading thoughts, making us focus too much in finding a partner, believing that when we find that person our life will get a dramatic turn for the better. Even though, we christians have the truth in our side. We know that the only one who can give significative changes to our lives is our Lord Jesus Christ. Our Lord may bless you all in all of your battles, and give you the final victory at His coming.

Funkus

May 20, 2020
i think i get what your saying over time more and more of the pieces of things i was looking for in a human relationship have been replaced by Jesus. especially after actually being in some relationships that process accelerated even faster, it's not funny. (actually it's not funny but i do things the hard way) i'm actually happier now and strangely i feel more attractive somehow generally. it hardly makes sense but Jesus has done it. i feel this is easier for Christian women to emotionally find Jesus meeting their needs but it works for guys too or i wouldn't be writing this. so the love songs can say what they say, the finest expressions of love are not found in them really even the best ones that are few and far between (especially in 2021 i'm talking 80's music!). The Odes in my sig are far superior to almost any of them

May 14, 2021
more of the pieces of things i was looking for in a human relationship have been replaced by Jesus
May our connection with our Lord grow stronger, for He is the source of what we really need, His boundless love and precious peace.

Romans 8:38-39
38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

John 15:10
10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love.

Funkus

May 20, 2020
Amen to that !
these are the best loves songs, from the 1st Christian song book the Odes
"He has caused to dwell in me His immortal life, and permitted me to proclaim the fruit of His peace "
"And His circumcising became my salvation, and I ran in the Way, in His peace, in the way of truth "
"The gentle showers of the Lord overshadowed me with serenity, and they caused a cloud of peace to rise over my head "
"As the wind glides through the harp and the strings speak So the Spirit of the Lord speaks through my members, and I speak through His love"

May 14, 2021
"He has caused to dwell in me His immortal life, and permitted me to proclaim the fruit of His peace "
"And His circumcising became my salvation, and I ran in the Way, in His peace, in the way of truth "
"The gentle showers of the Lord overshadowed me with serenity, and they caused a cloud of peace to rise over my head "
"As the wind glides through the harp and the strings speak So the Spirit of the Lord speaks through my members, and I speak through His love"
How beautiful. You're blessed, since the lord is giving you a heart wich appreciates true beauty, which can be unvelied and admired only by praising our Lord Jesus.

Psalm 51:10
10 Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.