Luke 12:47 does this mean we'll be beaten in heaven?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Paran

Feb 25, 2023
“The servant who knows the master’s will and does not get ready or does not do what the master wants will be beaten with many blows. Luke 12:47

Christians are not servants.

Christians are SONs/Daughter's of God, who serve.

Big difference.

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
ueah I’d rather be real with you in the hopes you might try to observe your own behavior and change it rather than trying to be careful with your emotions Christian’s need to learn that offense is something we take it isn’t always something someone else is giving

you seem to me to be a believer in Jesus and not a false prophet , was the main point I just don’t think you quite understand everything you appear to be convinced you understand and you seem to have a high mind and look down on others when you interact with them

there’s no harm in considering and reflecting maybe an old fool still can notice some things that could be useful if we aren’t too busy whining and crying that everyone’s always mean to us

lol the last part I was just poking fun no offense
Or did you sit on a rose bush? :p
take the plank out of your own eye befor you look to take the plank out of someone's elses eye

I Took part in this thread to help.

SO goaway

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
Biggest bunch of twisted contradicting mean spirited bullies I have ever had the pleasure to meet here

JohnB

Jul 31, 2022
Calif
Yes, that's right JohnB. I am sure that you and I are both hoping to be among those who did help those who needed help. I really like the verse where it talks about the King saying that as much as the servant did good to the least of these he did it unto the king.
I tell Christians, it's not enough to give them a bible verse or say I'll pray for you, you have to help them. Even in small ways like a meal or a soda.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
this is no apology just another abusive sarcastic comment with no intent of sincerity what so ever.

You know fine well you've offended me and you couldn't care less for my feelings, which makes you a person who is not willing to share in your brother's suffering and you are quite freely trying to hurt me further, with total disregard for my feelings.

Which is totally goes against what Jesus tells you to do when a brother tells you your hurting there feelings

So I don't think you care for the true word of God

What you've done is what other people do here which is jumping on the bandwagon to attack people. Only intent on attacking people.

You've Even witnessed me being attacked befor you have decided to attacked me further which is the behaviour of bully and sombody who could care less for there brother only themselves

Your twisted to apologize the way you have

And I really not in least bit hurt by your comments no more you've proved your not my brother or my friend.

The reason why I was hurt was because I thought you where my friend.

And you will say I'm only correcting you or I am only basing my observation based on how other bullies being my friend one minute only to attack me next have responded to me.

So you can shove your apology where the sun doesn't shine you Hypocrite
😂 yeah I suppose , but anyways I’m going to move on to discuss the Bible with people

God bless and keep you and may you grow in understanding without trial or tribulation brother

May 29, 2023
Planet Earth
No, this is about the coming of the Son of God, the Lord Jesus Christ, and he will come indeed. The faithless servants do not believe the master will come back, therefore do they beat upon the faithful servants and work evil. But one day the master will come back and he will cut the evil servants to pieces and throw them into the Lake of Fire. Those that were foolish and did not regard that the Lord would return and were neglectfully evil even though they knew better will be beaten with severe blows. And the ignorant fools who though they worked evil were obviously worked it more out of ignorance, with less blows. Blessed are the faithful servants that when the master returns he will see they kept the faith. None of it will happen to them in heaven, it will all be done right here on Earth, at least towards the end of it and then the hereafter.
Agreed; Scripture tells us:

"Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death. For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, and those who are in the flesh cannot please God." (Romans 8:1-8, NASB, emphasis mine)

I think people read too deeply into the term "servant", not realizing what the entire parable entails is that in the it, all the servants are subject to their master and cannot escape it. In likewise stead, all mankind is subject to the Lord Jesus Christ and cannot escape His judgment. And with that in mind, the Lord is letting folks know that punishment for those who rebelled against Him is not going to be "one size fits all"; after all, righteousness and justice are the foundation of God's throne (Ps. 89:14), and to punish everyone with the exact same level when their offenses and knowledge vary would not be just.

God is not some vindictive tyrant waiting to beat a human being to a bloody pulp and then raise His foot to smash them into the tiled floor of His Throne room; that's not the God of the Bible. Otherwise, Christ's blood didn't save anyone from sin. Is the Lord Jesus serious at the Bema Seat when He judges us? Yes, He is, and we will receive or lose rewards as He deems.

But He's not going to pummel us into ground beef; that's Satan whispering in our ears, trying to make us all doubt the Lord's mercy, grace and love.

-Sojo414

May 24, 2023
Agreed; Scripture tells us:

"Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death. For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, and those who are in the flesh cannot please God." (Romans 8:1-8, NASB, emphasis mine)

I think people read too deeply into the term "servant", not realizing what the entire parable entails is that in the it, all the servants are subject to their master and cannot escape it. In likewise stead, all mankind is subject to the Lord Jesus Christ and cannot escape His judgment. And with that in mind, the Lord is letting folks know that punishment is not going to be "one size fits all"; after all, righteousness and justice are the foundation of God's throne (Ps. 89:14), and to punish everyone with the exact same level when their offenses and knowledge vary would not be just.

God is not some vindictive tyrant waiting to beat a human being to a bloody pulp and then raise His foot to smash them into the tiled floor of His Throne room; that's not the God of the Bible. Otherwise, Christ's blood didn't save anyone from sin. Is the Lord Jesus serious at the Bema Seat when He judges us? Yes, He is, and we will receive or lose rewards as He deems.

But He's not going to pummel us into ground beef; that's Satan whispering in our ears, trying to make us all doubt the Lord's mercy, grace and love.

-Sojo414
Well, yes, though I am looking at it more like the whole chapter. If the OP would care for to expand the subject to the whole chapter, it would maybe answer it more fully. Nevertheless to be brief. The chapter is basically about seeking and then holding on to the faith in Jesus until the end when Jesus returns (for remember Jesus is the Word of God born of the Virgin, Lived, Ministered, Crucified, Resurrected, and very improtantly, Ascended Into Heaven. Well he will return. Jesus expounds on this much all the chapter bringing us to the portion about the various types of evil servants after Peter asks Jesus if he is speaking in parables to them. Jesus concludes with his purpose in being sent by God both at that time and when he returns at the End of Days to kill Satan and his whole army by the power of his Almighty and Glistering Sword, in Jesus name, amen!

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
“The servant who knows the master’s will and does not get ready or does not do what the master wants will be beaten with many blows. Luke 12:47
The Jews knew because they had His Word. They were to reach the other nations, yet the leaders were lost unbelievers. They were worthy of greater punishment than the unbelieving gentiles.

This is God's salvation to all.

"And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.”
John 6

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Did we miss your birthday? .:eek::cry::unsure:

:D
well It was a few months ago now but thank you for that panel that’s a very celebratory one !! Like Fourth of July almost

Ill probly be claiming to just be entering my seventies , until at least seventy five or seventy six i figger lol if the lord hasn’t brung me home yet

“These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, ( ive heard and believe the promises too like you have ) and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country. But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭11:13-14, 16‬ ‭

on one hand getting old is sad on the other it’s exciting to know sometime soon maybe in the next few years ll I’ve heard in scripture and believe will be put to the test

“but ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, to the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, and to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭12:22-24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Those things the Bible says about the end of our earthly life is a bit scary as you know your approaching it inevitably but also a lot exciting because of some things I do believe will happen that day

a lol sorry birthday talk gets me thinking of mortality haha I got issues sister

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
well It was a few months ago now but thank you for that panel that’s a very celebratory one !! Like Fourth of July almost

Ill probly be claiming to just be entering my seventies , until at least seventy five or seventy six i figger lol if the lord hasn’t brung me home yet

“These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, ( ive heard and believe the promises too like you have ) and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country. But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.”

on one hand getting old is sad on the other it’s exciting to know sometime soon maybe in the next few years ll I’ve heard in scripture and believe will be put to the test

“but ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, to the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, and to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.”

Those things the Bible says about the end of our earthly life is a bit scary as you know your approaching it inevitably but also a lot exciting because of some things I do believe will happen that day

a lol sorry birthday talk gets me thinking of mortality haha I got issues sister
Oh, no! No need to apologize, as I think it is pretty normal to realistically start facing our mortality more
and more as we age, and I am no stranger to that either, especially after a dear friend of mine passed away
just over a month ago. She and I had some very similar serious health issues, though she was not as willing
to do follow ups and keep appointments, and I am not entirely sure why that is, and wonder if it was simply
because she did not drive, but that cannot be it, either. We spoke fairly often on the phone, as we were
thousands of miles apart geographically, and I am still in touch with her younger sister, who was my
best friend through most of high school! I am fairly certain their mom prayed for my salvation for
decades, and I did make a point after I was saved to visit with her when I was back at some point,
just to let her know that that miracle had finally happened in my life
.:)

birdie

Sep 16, 2014
I tell Christians, it's not enough to give them a bible verse or say I'll pray for you, you have to help them. Even in small ways like a meal or a soda.
Thanks JohnB. That reminds me of the verse: "And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noonday:" it is very good to help people in small ways and it is amazing to see how little things like that can have wonderful results! It is also good to remember that people need spiritual food and drink ultimately. Jesus said: "Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again: But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." When we look at the statement "For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me." we see that it is describing more than only physical things. For example, by sharing the gospel a person may hear it and be converted, whereas once they were naked (meaning not clothed with Christ's righteousness) they can now become clothed with Christ because of what he did for them. Similarly, those who are thirsty for salvation may drink of the gospel, the waters of life :"Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price."

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
It should be clear by now to anyone paying attention why you help the homeless.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016

fully understand.... I'm right behind you... I'll be 69 in July... three score and ten doesn't sound as old as it used to... :cool:

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
A look at the previous verse shows that this "servant" will be treated as an unbeliever. A portion of this parable indicates that there are degrees of punishment in Hell. It has nothing to do with Heaven.
The Israelites were called the Lord’s servants, but they were not all saved:

Isaiah 43:10 - "You are My witnesses, says the Lord," And My servant whom I have chosen, That you may know and believe Me, And understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God formed, Nor shall there be after Me. (Israel vs. 1)

Leviticus 25:55 - For the children of Israel are servants to Me; they are My servants whom I brought out of the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God. *Yet God later destroyed those who did not believe. (Jude 1:5)

Nehemiah 1:6 - please let Your ear be attentive and Your eyes open, that You may hear the prayer of Your servant which I pray before You now, day and night, for the children of Israel Your servants, and confess the sins of the children of Israel which we have sinned against You.

May 24, 2023
Jesus said to build up treasures in heaven.
Yes, blessed are the good servants that keep the faith. Slain and beaten be the evil servants. Praise Jesus he shall come again and repay with interest all those talents saved up.