Magnesium Gel

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
During a visit to a chiropractor, I asked if there was anything I could do to stop the terrible evening cramps I get in my very deformed feet. He recommended a magnesium gel, and let me sample it.

For the first time that night, in literally years, I did not get the charley horses in my feet. The next night they came back because I didn't have any to use. So I bought some at the Health Food Store, since I was not planning on going back to that chiro, after he took my lower back from no pain ever to constant pain. And didn't fix my first rib, saying I was too fragile and damaged, even though he admitted my xrays (which I got through the medical system, fortunately) were actually really good.

So I have been using the magnesium gel every night when I lie down and I have not had any cramps since. I am not a person who can be fooled by placebo effect, especially since I thought it would not work.

So that problem solved!

Tonight, when I put the gel on my feet, a lot got on my left hand. After about 1/2 hour, I noticed that hand was feeling much better than the right one. Almost pain free. So I gelled up both hands, and a lot of the pain in both hands from the RA damage was feeling better. My hands are quite deformed, and do have a lot of damage, so this was great to find something that helps that doesn't require taking prescribed pain killers.

So I am going to continue using it, and I am going to add it in the morning, and probably again in the middle of the day.

My question is, "Has anyone else had good results (or not!) with magnesium gel?" And on that note, does anyone know why it works?

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I've been googling and I found out this very interesting info. I've been on prednisone (cortisone) almost continually since February this year. I have also been on large doses for long periods many times in the past.

"Magnesium gel may also serve to benefit psychological health, as regular applications may help to reduce and prevent depression, according to the Magnesium Website Online Library. Cortisol is a hormone produced by the adrenal glands and helps to regulate blood sugar levels. Adrenal glands tend to overproduce cortisol during stressful situations, resulting in a reduction of the body's ability to preserve magnesium. Regular magnesium gel applications on the skin may help to keep the adrenal glands and cortisol hormones in balance, thus reducing stress and preventing associated depression. The mineral's ability to support adrenal function gives it an antidepressant effect, which may help to reduce and prevent hyperactivity, nervousness and mental confusion."

The Benefits of Magnesium Gels | LIVESTRONG.COM

So apparently magnesium is not just about bones, but has a lot to do with the adrenal system. I am not nervous or anxious or even very depressed, but I did experience adrenal insufficiency only last week when coming off prednisone to see my rheumatologist. That means total exhaustion, plus headaches and heart palpitations.

Plus, about 4 years, ago, I went into severe adrenal insufficiency, when the biologic infusion I was on had to be pre-dosed with 100 mg of prednisone, two weeks apart.

If anyone else knows anything else about magnesium, I would love for you to share.

Jan 25, 2015
What a blessing if it works for you.

Can you give me a name? My mother might want to use it :D if it is available in South Africa...

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
The kind I bought is called "Ancient Minerals: Magnesium Gel." It is imported into Canada from the US. But the actual magnesium seems to come from deep in the earth (1600-2000 m) in the Ancient Zechstein Seabed in Europe. It does say in a few places that Ancient Minerals is the best brand, but that could be self advertising. I just bought it because that is what was available!

So your guess is as good as mine as to whether you would find this brand in SA. I know that usually Canadian health food brands are totally different than American ones.

Probably search for it at a health food store, and preferably get the kind that comes from The Zechstein Seabeds. Others might work, of course, but I just know this one is working for me!

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Not familiar w/ the gel or know if available here, but doesnt it work just lke epsom salt used as foot soaks. Long ago i was trying to read but dont remember details now(!) just that Mg depletion in body could greatly be remedied by these products absorbed thru skin instead of in tab form? They give relief for overexertion and stiffness, etc. and we've actually used this only fairly recently. Of course its not just Mg but other trace minerals that are needed, like they explain with concentrated mineral drop products.

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
I take magnesium supplements every day, and I get muscle cramps if I don't. It's also harder to sleep if I don't take it. I know that magnesium citrate is more easily absorbed than magnesium oxide, which is usually cheaper. I use citrate, but last time I got the cheap brand and it doesn't seem to be working for me!

I have never tried or even heard of the topical gel, but it's very interesting and I'm glad it's working for you.

Utah

Banned
Dec 1, 2014
Angela, I rejoice learning you have found an effective measure against your pain. God answers prayers in extraordinary ways. Is Magnesium Gel over the counter or prescription?

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Utah, I bought it in a health food store, and my chiropractor also sold it.

Mar, I googled Epsom salts and they are made of magnesium! Very interesting medicine has dropped these simple and easy ways to absorb minerals, which they are missing from the average diet!

O

oldthennew

Angela,

ty so much for sharing this remedy.

we went to HF store and found some in the form of a 'SPRAY'....
so far we have had good results and are anxious to see how it works in the long-run...

again, Thank you.
:):)

M

Miri

Hi people might want to know that cramps in the fingers, toes and calf muscles
which are the most common, can also be due to low blood calcium levels.
I found this out the hard way due to a medical condition I have.

In fact it can be caused by any deficiency of electrolytes in the body
ie calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, salts etc as
electrolytes regulate the nerve and muscle function of the body.