MAKE WAR!

• Thread starter tyleratnewspring
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
N

niha2009

O yaa we have to fight against sin. If so, the most important thing we should focus on is dealing with our flesh (carnal being ) b/c it is our major enemy.
Bless you

C

Cako53

well the bible does say to stone certain people aswell and you have like a guide to slavery yes that was in the old testament but does it say in the new testament you cant do these things?
No one really answered you, so I will. The stoning of people was a cultural thing in that time period. Just like men being better than woman was a cultural thing. You should look back into the societies back then to understand it better.

Red_Tory

Jan 26, 2010
No one really answered you, so I will. The stoning of people was a cultural thing in that time period. Just like men being better than woman was a cultural thing. You should look back into the societies back then to understand it better.

So are you asserting that the Bible is subject to moral and cultural relativism?

If you apply relativism to the Bible, then you invalidate a lot of what it says. What parts of the Bible are products of the societies back then? Is homosexuality or adultery no longer considered a sin because it is not considered bad by the cultural standards of the modern world?

What parts are the "will/word of God" and what parts are a result of cultural norms? How does one tell the difference?

C

Cako53

So are you asserting that the Bible is subject to moral and cultural relativism?

If you apply relativism to the Bible, then you invalidate a lot of what it says. What parts of the Bible are products of the societies back then? Is homosexuality or adultery no longer considered a sin because it is not considered bad by the cultural standards of the modern world?

What parts are the "will/word of God" and what parts are a result of cultural norms? How does one tell the difference?
I never said anything about morals, that is a totally different topic. Cultural yes. Culture play a big part in the Old Testament, you can even see the change between the Old and the New Testament. If you can't see that, then you need to give the bible a closer read.

Red_Tory

Jan 26, 2010
I never said anything about morals, that is a totally different topic. Cultural yes. Culture play a big part in the Old Testament, you can even see the change between the Old and the New Testament. If you can't see that, then you need to give the bible a closer read.

You're right... Instead of morals, I should have said values.

Alright... So take, for instance, the command to put to death anyone who curses their parents. Is this the "will of God", or is it simply part of the culture?

To me, this begs a question...

Did God define the culture in question through the laws/commandments/guidelines etc. that he established, or did the people's cultural values alter their perception of God? Did God establish the policy of killing those who curse their parents, or was it the culture of the time?

Again, if it it simply "a cultural thing" and seemingly no longer advocated, then what is to stop someone from standing up and saying "Oh no, adultery is perfectly alright; laws regarding adultery are a cultural thing."

Supposedly it isn't just a "cultural thing" - the Bible is the "word of God", no? So does the "word of God" define the culture and values of a group, or does the culture itself define the "word of God" (which, at a glance, seemingly invalidates it... But I haven't heard anyone else on this)?

J

jesus_be4_religion

well the bible does say to stone certain people aswell and you have like a guide to slavery yes that was in the old testament but does it say in the new testament you cant do these things?
Yes the new testament says pray for your enemy and that means dont stone them lol. As for slavery it says if you are able to free yourself from slavery do so. It does not condemn it, because God knows there will be all sorts of slavery, even if the terms are not used, till he returns.The work force can be slavery and schools and marriages sometimes etc.