Malachi on my mind

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jullianna

We've had several threads about dating non-christians. A conversation with some associates at lunch today helped me understand even more why it's a bad idea to date them, so I wanted to share it.

One of the guys is getting married soon. Another guy slapped him on the back and told him that his fiancee "would do for a FIRST wife".

I'm sure he meant it as a joke (I HOPE), but it isn't really, is it? It just reinforced for me how lightly the world takes marriage. This scripture immediately came to mind:

MALACHI 2: 10 Do we not all have one Father[b]? Did not one God create us? Why do we profane the covenant of our ancestors by being unfaithful to one another?

11 Judah has been unfaithful. A detestable thing has been committed in Israel and in Jerusalem: Judah has desecrated the sanctuary the LORD loves by marrying women who worship a foreign god. 12 As for the man who does this, whoever he may be, may the LORD remove him from the tents of Jacob[c]—even though he brings an offering to the LORD Almighty.
13 Another thing you do: You flood the LORD’s altar with tears. You weep and wail because he no longer looks with favor on your offerings or accepts them with pleasure from your hands. 14 You ask, “Why?” It is because the LORD is the witness between you and the wife of your youth. You have been unfaithful to her, though she is your partner, the wife of your marriage covenant.
15 Has not the one God made you? You belong to him in body and spirit. And what does the one God seek? Godly offspring.[d] So be on your guard, and do not be unfaithful to the wife of your youth.
16 “The man who hates and divorces his wife,” says the LORD, the God of Israel, “does violence to the one he should protect,”[e] says the LORD Almighty. So be on your guard, and do not be unfaithful.

I realize that he was speaking to the priests in this passage, but, guess what?

I PETER 2:9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

It suddenly wasn't so funny....and I normally have a pretty good sense of humor. :)

G

GreenNnice

Note: For those married already to a non-christian, God's power is beyond great...it is great, in the utmost superlative sense, better than anything else, His power rules all and with Him your life will be with Christ. And, it will be His best for you, which is better than anything else you can ever have. :)

Do not be unfaithful to God's leading of your life and do not put yourself in a precarious life position that could have consequence of not being able to honor Him, serve Him, with all your heart, body, mind, and, soul. And, guess what ! This is the GREATEST commandment, according to scripture, along with that other one that isn't one of the 10 commandments but is so great.... the commandment to love one another, that YOUR JOY may be full .

Bottom line: Don't do things to disrupt God's plans for your Earthly life. And, YES! you can (disrupt them). God has given you FREE CHOICE , but IF you are with Him, you will choose Him.

But the truth of this message from Julieannie should not be taken lightly. As christians, our goal on Earth is what?

To glorify Him.

How are you going to best do it?

That is the question, to be or not to be in union with God's plan for your life is really what life is all about isn't it.

Well said, Julieannie. Amen. (In the original Greek, 'amen,' of course, all you scholarly type know means, 'TY.' That's right, BEANIE BABIES for everyone ! Oh, OK, thank you, thank you, thank you, that is what 'it' means . :)

L

Liz01

I have heard a lot of comments like that, i think that divorce is in fashion now, many ppl have lost the way with all the things that are happening now in our society, i think that a lot of ppl is confused,and i think that many christians are confused too. I know some ppl married with non christian ppl and its not easy actually is very bad for them and make me wonder why christian ppl still want to marry with non christian (or even date non chistian), maybe its because that confusion in our society.......

A

Aqua_Girl09

My sister wanted to move out the house SOOO bad and she jumped into marrying her boyfriend. at one point during our many talks about her making the wrong choice she said "We'll if it doesn't work out I can always divorce him"

I couldn't believe she said it. but a two years later they separated and a year after that got a divorce.

J

Jullianna

So sorry to read that, especially for your sister. It seems to be today's mindset. There's no respect for the things of God, including marriage. :(

R

rainacorn

This made me think of Cain and Abel, actually.

To apply the lesson directly to marriage- people aren't committing 100% to the covenant of marriage and then become disgruntled because the marriage isn't going great. They take it out on their spouses and spill their metaphorical blood and then have the nerve to try and act blameless when the divorce comes... even get upset about it!

Oh my punishment is more than I can bear! I don't deserve this!

You sure about that? lol

C

ChristianVegan

Interesting topic
I absolutely refuse to date a non-Christian
I will associate with you and really aim at leading you to Christ
But until that happens, NO DATE