Mark 11:24 How to Explain It to Someone Who Said This Proves the Bible Lies

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Radius

Feb 11, 2013
What do you say to them who says the Bible lies here:

"Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours"

And other places in the NT where it says God will do "anything" if you ask in His Name.

L

Laodicea

1 John 5:14 KJV
(14) And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing
according to his will, he heareth us:

May 15, 2013

"Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours"

And other places in the NT where it says God will do "anything" if you ask in His Name.
Aslong as whatever you ask for, it must comes from His branches.

Matthew 7:18
A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit.

Galatians 5:22
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

N

notconformed2theworld

If anyone says the bible is a lie then they don't have faith...therefore they can't believe in receiving anything spiritual or material.
Also what the individual is praying for must be in God's will. "Thy kingdom come,thy will be done".

Sometimes we need to keep praying about the matter non- stop.Like the widow and judge parable Jesus taught about (Luke 18:1-8)
The widow kept coming back to the judge till she got what she wanted.

Sometimes the Lord won't answer our prayer then and there because he wants us to commune with him more (we do this in prayer). He loves to hear us pray to him. But sometimes as humans we get caught up and skip prayer for a week or a month or a year or untill something crazy comes into our lives (then we get the praying).

Also because he knows maybe we are not ready for what we ask. We may think we are deep down, but the Lord knows us better than we know ourselves (Psalms 139) So we need to pray and ask the Lord to make us ready for what we ask for.

There's a number of reason we don't get what we ask for from the Lord. But if we base good intentions behind what we ask and pray for things that will up build God's kingdom, he will definitely answer them in His time...and he's always on time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Radius

Feb 11, 2013
Thank you everyone. Good answers.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
James 4 KJV

From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members? 2Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not. 3Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts. 4Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. 5Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy? 6But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
God is not a vending machine. He is God Who judges sin.
Ps 103:13-14 God treats us like a Father treats His children and any good parent knows you do not give the kids everything they ask for.
Someone who has the attitude that the bible lies is far from the Author of the bible.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Agricola

Dec 10, 2012
Dear God, please give me a missle silo and 100 nukes so I can blow countries up. Thanks.

Yes sure....
God is our Father, the perfect Father, a Father who will treat his children the correct way every time, this includes handing out pressies and gifts and taking toys away and dishing out punishment for errant kids. A perfect Father will not give a child everything that child asks for.

Jan 24, 2013
And after you give these "wonderful" answers, what will you say when he reels off the predictable rebuttal to these answers? Why is there so much unanswered prayer out there?

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
The sovereign God answers whatever prayer He wills. First, God ultimately knows what's best for us and sometimes unanswered prayers might be the solution, that is His answer may be 'no'. Secondly, scripture indicate that He does not answer prayers for several reasons such as harbouring iniquity in our hearts (Psalms 66:18, Isaiah 59:2), doubts, unforgiveness. All one should do is approach His throne with a sincere heart and faith (Hebrews 10:22), trusting in His promises and ensuring they aren't praying amiss, and in spite of delayed or unanswered prayers one should give Him the glory for His time and ways isn't ours.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
God won't answer a prayer that isn't sincere.
Sometimes was ask for things out of selfishness and other things that are ungodly.
It's important to prayer for things in a righteous way. With love and humility. I could pray to God and ask for him to make me rich. How is that righteous? It's selfish. It's something that would benefit me in the flesh and not spiritually.

Oct 31, 2011
Some reasons God has for unanswered prayer:

1. Person praying is not in God's family.
  2. Person praying has a barrier put up between him and God, like holding onto a grudge.
  3. Person praying is not addressing the prayer to the person who answers, we are told to address God the Father.
  4. God has a plan of operation for our world, a kingdom that works in this world. it is like an engine that runs the a car.
  5. Person praying does not know and honor the holiness of God, or give God the praise due Him.
The prayer can't be answered as asked if something is not in line with how God operates our world. It is called the kingdom of God.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Paul prayed three times for the thorn in his flesh removed. The Lord said My grace is sufficient for you. Even Paul had to take a no for an answer. God answers all prayer, He just doesn't always say yes or what we want Him to say. The first prayer God answers is our prayer to be saved. Without out that the rest is mute.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Apr 6, 2012
One of the more puzzling passages in the Bible is the account of Jesus and the barren fig tree. According to Mark 11:12-14, 20-24, when Jesus saw a certain fig tree with leaves but no fruit, he cursed it and, as a result, the tree withered. Yet, as Mark plainly says, it wasn’t the season for figs. The questions of concern are why did Jesus curse this fig tree? And why did Mark, under inspiration, record this incident? While some of Christendom’s commentators have been embarrassed by this account, not only do the facts justify Jesus’ actions, but they also reveal that Jesus was teaching a twofold lesson on faith.

For example, while figs don’t usually mature until June, fruit buds usually appear on the branches of fig trees as early as February. In fact, this occurs two months before leaves appear on the branches in late April or early May. So by the time a fig tree has its leaves, it should surely have figs. This helps us to appreciate that when Jesus saw this particular fig tree in late March, while it wasn’t the season for fig trees to have mature figs, it also wasn’t the season for fig trees to have leaves.

The fact that this tree did have leaves shows that it was unseasonably mature. Surely it would not have been unreasonable for Jesus to expect that such a tree would also be unseasonably early with its fruit. Yet, this tree was unproductive. Indeed, as Mark states, the tree had “nothing but leaves,” that is, no fruit. Certainly the leaves gave that tree a deceptive appearance.

A clue as to why Jesus curse this unproductive fig tree is recorded in Mark 11:22-25. As Jesus explained, this was a lesson for them to “have faith in God.” First of all, it was Jesus’ faith that made the curse effective. Evidently, Jesus was using this occasion to provide an object lesson on the power of faith. As Jesus stated: “All the things you pray and ask for have faith that you have practically received, and you will have them.”-Mark 11:24.

But there also seems to be another connection between the withering of this fig tree and the quality of faith. Just three months prior to this incident Jesus uttered a parable about an unfruitful fig tree that needed to be cut down. (Luke 13:6-9) This unfruitful fig tree was a symbol of the ancient Jewish nation.-Compare Matthew 21:43.

So it is reasonable to believe that the barren fig tree that Jesus cursed was also a symbol of the unfruitful ancient Jewish nation. Although this nation had been in a covenant relationship with God, the appearance was deceptive, for the nation proved barren of good fruitage, even rejecting God’s own Son. And what was the cause of this unfruitfulness? The lack of faith, the very quality Jesus was using the occasion to highlight. (Romans 9:31, 32) By causing the fig tree to wither, Jesus was graphically demonstrating what the end result would be for that fruitless, faithless nation.

john832

May 31, 2013

First and foremost it must be according to God's will...

Mat 26:39 And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.
Mat 26:40 And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour?
Mat 26:41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
Mat 26:42 He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.
Mat 26:43 And he came and found them asleep again: for their eyes were heavy.
Mat 26:44 And he left them, and went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words.

Then one must consider this...

Jas 4:1 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?
Jas 4:2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.
Jas 4:3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

God knows what is best for us and will give us what is best. Our problem is that we sometimes think we know best.

john832

May 31, 2013
And then there is this...

Dan 10:1 In the third year of Cyrus king of Persia a thing was revealed unto Daniel, whose name was called Belteshazzar; and the thing was true, but the time appointed was long: and he understood the thing, and had understanding of the vision.
Dan 10:2 In those days I Daniel was mourning three full weeks.
Dan 10:3 I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.
Dan 10:4 And in the four and twentieth day of the first month, as I was by the side of the great river, which is Hiddekel;
Dan 10:5 Then I lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and behold a certain man clothed in linen, whose loins were girded with fine gold of Uphaz:

Dan 10:11 And he said unto me, O Daniel, a man greatly beloved, understand the words that I speak unto thee, and stand upright: for unto thee am I now sent. And when he had spoken this word unto me, I stood trembling.
Dan 10:12 Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words.
Dan 10:13 But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia.

There is more going on around us than one can imagine...

2Ki 6:15 And when the servant of the man of God was risen early, and gone forth, behold, an host compassed the city both with horses and chariots. And his servant said unto him, Alas, my master! how shall we do?
2Ki 6:16 And he answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them.
2Ki 6:17 And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

A

Abiding

the catch is "in His name" figure that out and you have the explaination.
Yes "anything" "in His name"

G

Graybeard

Mat 6:33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
God ALWAYS answers prayers.

Sometimes the answer is:
1. Yes

Sometimes the answer is:
2. No

Sometimes the answer is:
3. Maybe

Sometimes the answer is:
4. Wait a while

I find that pretty much covers every prayer I have ever prayed.