Marriage: Cultural Expectation vs. Personal Choice.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 9, 2012
This may be just me. After all, I am young in my years. But from what I have observed especially in the culture here in the United States is that the marriage ceremony has become an expectation like a passage right in other cultures. It seems to me that single people are almost treated negatively. I've seen people get depressed because they have family members who keep pushing them for marriage just to get them out of the house. I've also seen people get married to the wrong person as a result of being rushed into marriage. What happened to the parents' dreams of just letting their child be happy in their life despite marriage or not?

I am not saying marriage is wrong in any means. I believe marriage is a great ceremony to celebrate. My parents' anniversary is this Monday and they are celebrating 26 years together. But compared to their single friends, it seems to me they get more privileges than the single people. It seems to me that people nowadays are forced into marriage because of financial hardships; but sometimes, there are people who just want to focus their lives on their career and they don't want the aspect of a spouse or children getting in the way and their families where they come from have shunned them for it.

Yes, I understand that if you want to have children with your future spouse, you must be married due to the imperative commands found in the Bible. I am speaking of marriage in terms of rather or not we are forcing the idea of it on our culture or rather we should leave it as a person choice. What are your opinions? How is marriage treated in your culture? Is it viewed as a cultural mandate or is it left as a personal choice?

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
This may be just me. After all, I am young in my years. But from what I have observed especially in the culture here in the United States is that the marriage ceremony has become an expectation like a passage right in other cultures. It seems to me that single people are almost treated negatively. I've seen people get depressed because they have family members who keep pushing them for marriage just to get them out of the house. I've also seen people get married to the wrong person as a result of being rushed into marriage. What happened to the parents' dreams of just letting their child be happy in their life despite marriage or not?

I am not saying marriage is wrong in any means. I believe marriage is a great ceremony to celebrate. My parents' anniversary is this Monday and they are celebrating 26 years together. But compared to their single friends, it seems to me they get more privileges than the single people. It seems to me that people nowadays are forced into marriage because of financial hardships; but sometimes, there are people who just want to focus their lives on their career and they don't want the aspect of a spouse or children getting in the way and their families where they come from have shunned them for it.

Yes, I understand that if you want to have children with your future spouse, you must be married due to the imperative commands found in the Bible. I am speaking of marriage in terms of rather or not we are forcing the idea of it on our culture or rather we should leave it as a person choice. What are your opinions? How is marriage treated in your culture? Is it viewed as a cultural mandate or is it left as a personal choice?
I'm not familiar with any culture where marriage is not a generally expected thing for most people.

I think in the more modern cultures, where we are losing traditions and morals, marriage is becoming gradually less important.

T

tdrew777

Compared with the several cultural I am familiar with, America is the place that values marriage lowest. My wife (who is a foreigner) lamented that the only Americans who seem to want to register their marriages are the homosexuals.

Single and married are the only two lifestyle options given in the bible - and both must be from the heart. A single must not be pining for sexual relationships and the married person must have eyes only for the spouse. No one that I know was BORN that way; either way involves a counter-cultural choice and a battle to maintain that choice. That said, Jewish culture in bible times was very set against adults living in a single status without marriage.