Marrying because of your struggle with sex

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

IBDesmond

Senior Member
Jan 25, 2013
148
3
0
I keep coming across the topic that if people are struggling with sexual immorality, impure thoughts, etc, they should get married because that's what the bible teaches.

Now, this is not a scripture that I have looked into but I can't help that think that this scripture (1 Corinthians 7:9) is being taken out of context.
The verse says:


But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry,
for it is better to marry than to burn with passion

​
Okay....here is my view of the scripture.
The verse says "they"...not "you". I believe that if a person is can't control himself, he should focus on God till the fruit of self-control blossoms in his life. He shouldn't enter in a relationship and get married. I won't even get into the verses the follow but I don't believe that a man or woman should marry because of their lack of self-control but if they are in a relationship with each other and they can't control themselves then....even that I struggle with. How much of a dysfunctional marriage will they have if the only reason they're together is because of sex? I can only see more harm than good.

Can you imagine talking to someone or even being that person yourself that says "Well the only reason we are married is because they couldn't control themselves. They were burning inside with lust and so it was easier for us to get married than for him to deal with his lust and to learn to control himself. Basically you would be nothing more than a sex object....like....if we really break it down to layman's terms...that's basically what you would be. An instrument for sex. You would only be there...for sex....how low would you feel? How devalued would you feel?

I think that telling people to marry if they can't control themselves is shocking advice. Absolutely shocking.

Discuss this with me people! Talk me through it!