Meaning Baptism of the Holy Spirit

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 19, 2023
The best definition I've ever heard of spiritual glossolalia is that the person spoke in one language (his native language) and the listeners heard in their native languages because of spiritual agency.
The above is not an impossible thing for God to do, but it doesn't make sense when we consider Paul's instructions to the Corinthians.

Clearly, some of the Corinthians spoke with OTHER TONGUES ( 1 Cor. 12:10 ) = LANGUAGES THEY DID NOT UNDERSTAND ... otherwise, Paul would not have had to further instruct the Corinthians on the "proper use" of the gift of speaking in OTHER TONGUES ( 1 Cor. 14.1-40 ).

The OTHER TONGUES the Corinthians spoke, must have been something DIFFERENT than Doric Greek ( assuming this was the language the Corinthians spoke among themselves in those days ). Otherwise, there would be no reason for someone to have the gift of INTERPRETATION OF OTHER TONGUES.

Any ways, it is obvious from your reply, you do not speak with other tongues. Nor, have you ever been speaking in YOUR NATIVE LANGUAGE ( English or SOME other language you know ) and the LISTENER heard their NATIVE LANGUAGE because of spiritual agency !

Flannery

Mar 20, 2023
The above is not an impossible thing for God to do, but it doesn't make sense when we consider Paul's instructions to the Corinthians.

Clearly, some of the Corinthians spoke with OTHER TONGUES ( 1 Cor. 12:10 ) = LANGUAGES THEY DID NOT UNDERSTAND ... otherwise, Paul would not have had to further instruct the Corinthians on the "proper use" of the gift of speaking in OTHER TONGUES ( 1 Cor. 14.1-40 ).

The OTHER TONGUES the Corinthians spoke, must have been something DIFFERENT than Doric Greek ( assuming this was the language the Corinthians spoke among themselves in those days ). Otherwise, there would be no reason for someone to have the gift of INTERPRETATION OF OTHER TONGUES.

Any ways, it is obvious from your reply, you do not speak with other tongues. Nor, have you ever been speaking in YOUR NATIVE LANGUAGE ( English or SOME other language you know ) and the LISTENER heard their NATIVE LANGUAGE because of spiritual agency !
The Corinthians were speaking in languages that they didn't understand themselves?

Mar 19, 2023
The Corinthians were speaking in languages that they didn't understand themselves?

Yes exactly ! They did not understand the other tongues they spoke ... on certain occasions ... as the scripture implies.

Clearly, this was reason Paul (God) reprimanded them on the proper use of the gift. No sense reprimanding them for speaking Doric Greek !

Paul says, when He speaks in other tongues ... he ... not anyone else ... doesn't understand what he is saying ! ( 1 Cor. 14.2 ) ... unless there is an interpreter ( 1 Cor. 14.13 )

Underwhosewings

Jan 19, 2023
Australia
I am just wondering what is the purpose of this gift?

How is it proof?
Purpose……
Gods eternal purpose is to build His church.
Ephesians 3:11 KJV
According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:

God was/is able to get the gospel to the souls of every language spoken.
The focus is for souls to hear the gospel, and the church be built.
Romans 1:16 KJV
….it is the power of God unto salvation…
Acts 2:8 KJV
And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
God was quickly causing the gospel to spread, via His obedient children.
By giving them the languages of those Jews that were there in Jerusalem for the Passover.

It’s very profitable to have translation booths for the purpose of interpretation of other languages.

1 Corinthians 12:4-11 KJV
Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
[5] And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
[6] And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
[7] But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
[8] For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
[9] To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
[10] To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues;
to another
the interpretation of tongues:
[11] But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

1 Corinthians 12:28-31 KJV
And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
[29] Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
[30] Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? [31] But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

Mar 19, 2023
Dear Under Whose Wings

You obviously don't speak with other tongues ... which speaks to the fact ... neither have you been BAPTIZED with the HOLY SPIRIT !

Your doctrine is typical of a "limited" CENSATIONIST ! Misconstruing scripture, in order to support your FALSE teaching and your obvious LACK of the gift.

Jesus said, THESE SIGNS, follow ALL believers ( which has a broad meaning ). You might be a BELIEVER = Saved = Born Again !

Are you Born |Again ?

BUT, it is clear you are NOT a believer in God's UNMERITED and no partiality towards His children !

What did Jesus say:

Mark 16:17-18
“And these signs will follow those who believe ( no exception implied here ): In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; THEY meaning ALL ... WILL = DEFINITE verb ... IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW !
“they[ will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

IN ORDER FOR YOUR DOCTRINE TO BE TRUE ... God/Jesus/HS , Who inspired the scriptures ( 2 Tim. 3.16 ), would necessarily have to CONTRADICT Himself. He won't and nor will he apologize to you or other DOUBTERS !

The Corinthians ( some ) ALREADY SPOKE IN OTHER TONGUES. Therefore, the meaning of 1 Cor. 12:5-11 MUST HAVE ANOTHER MEANING ... SO AS NOT TO CONTRADICT JESUS' promise/statement in Mark 16.17 !

Yes it seems ONLY some Corinthians were speaking in tongues ... that REASON is discussed later !

Plus, it is evident that ALL the 120 at the upper room spoke with other tongues. So too, ALL of Cornelius' house. So Too, ALL of the Ephesians that Paul prayed for. Plus Paul himself. Why is God dis-entitling you to this gift ! He isn't ... you are stopping it by doubt and lack of knowledge, plus the poison of false doctrine !

BUT most disconcerting for you and other DOUBTERS ... God Himself WISHES you spoke with other tongues. Why don't you ? YOU'VE BEEN TRICKED BY THE DEVIL into unbelief and false doctrine ! Shame on you !

GOD said:

1 Cor. 14.5 I [ = GOD ] wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.

THIS SCRIPTURE evidences not all Corinthians spoke in tongues ... but it is CLEAR that GOD wishes that they would AND EVERY CHRISTIAN . ONLY, unbelief would hold them back ... just like people like you ... they DOUBT all Christians are entitled to healing ... the doubters didn't receive healing in Jesus' day ( see Matthew 13.58 = picture of YOU and other such doubters ) !

1 Cor. 14.39 Therefore, brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues.

BECAUSE God FORBIDS to stop tongues in the body of Christ .... then the gift is available ... only ... to those WHO BELIEVE !

faith is necessary to RECEIVE from God ! Without it you WILL not please Him ( Hebrews 11.6 ) !

You're not one of those types of Believers ! You're a doubter ! Go peddle your false doctrine to devils !

Good LUCK with your theories ... because you don't have the FAITH to BELIEVE !

Flannery

Mar 20, 2023
You all obviously believe that speaking in tongues is a spiritual gift, but I think I'll read that passage more as a warning. I've been around really spiritually inclined mystics before, people in alternative Eastern Philosophy clubs who have fairly cozy fireside meetings and go over words form Farsi, Persian, or other languages before, and try to really pack a big data package into some buzzwords and catchphrases in whole languages I didn't see any proof that they could speak in any way fluently themselves.

Underwhosewings

Jan 19, 2023
Australia
You all obviously believe that speaking in tongues is a spiritual gift, but I think I'll read that passage more as a warning. I've been around really spiritually inclined mystics before, people in alternative Eastern Philosophy clubs who have fairly cozy fireside meetings and go over words form Farsi, Persian, or other languages before, and try to really pack a big data package into some buzzwords and catchphrases in whole languages I didn't see any proof that they could speak in any way fluently themselves.
I am not Pentecostal.
Babbling is not the Holy Spirit.

Flannery

Mar 20, 2023
I am not Pentecostal.
I am not Pentecostal.
Sorry you took that personally. It's just that I have met a large number of people who presented themselves as very spiritual and then hinged whole doctrines, denominational bylaws, and required personal lifestyle choices for themselves (to be enforced on family) on a select handful of words in translation. Logical line by line proof texts with or without exegesis I'm used to, but that sequence gets heavy. Why do they have to have that particular language and have it all talked about in historical context for long portions of the sermon, that's what I want to know. It must be something to do with world missions, and current political events in the Mediterranean and middle east. But to me it just sounds like an occultist preacher. I can tell when an advanced academic with a lot of practicum hours is rebutting, and Doctors of Divinity are the worst to rebut in oral dissertation without citing who and whatever they're rebutting. It must be that they heard someone else speaking in tongues, it wouldn't be them themselves, but they found out about it and are calmly explaining as a spiritual warning to the sheep. Forewarned is forearmed after all.

Underwhosewings

Jan 19, 2023
Australia
Sorry you took that personally. It's just that I have met a large number of people who presented themselves as very spiritual and then hinged whole doctrines, denominational bylaws, and required personal lifestyle choices for themselves (to be enforced on family) on a select handful of words in translation. Logical line by line proof texts with or without exegesis I'm used to, but that sequence gets heavy. Why do they have to have that particular language and have it all talked about in historical context for long portions of the sermon, that's what I want to know. It must be something to do with world missions, and current political events in the Mediterranean and middle east. But to me it just sounds like an occultist preacher. I can tell when an advanced academic with a lot of practicum hours is rebutting, and Doctors of Divinity are the worst to rebut in oral dissertation without citing who and whatever they're rebutting. It must be that they heard someone else speaking in tongues, it wouldn't be them themselves, but they found out about it and are calmly explaining as a spiritual warning to the sheep. Forewarned is forearmed after all.
No not personally. I think I’m a little grown up 😅.
Some of my relatives went to the Pentecostals because nowhere else to go they thought.