Meditation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

MaryM

Nov 25, 2022
I wonder if it is ok to use yoga and Buddhist sorts of meditations and exercise techniques just for improving health? When using guided visualisation videos there is often a white light or guiding figure being imagined, that sends healing warmth into your body and mind.

I have become very anxious and depressed lately, often unable to sleep. I have found very effective videos on YouTube which help me relax and sleep well. I just worry that there might be something wrong in using these as I am a fully committed Christian believer.
I have found excellent psalms and proverbs readings by David Suchet. I would welcome any suggestions for Christian guided relaxation and healing videos please.

MaryM

Nov 25, 2022
Here's a researcher who speaks to the issue.

Yoga in Churches

After listening to that, I'm happy to answer a specific question. As a boy, I was led through a TM training course. I renounce it now and can address it in more detail as time permits.

Have a good evening.
I understand.
However, as a mature strong Christian, I regard using basic meditation techniques s just that, techniques to relax for health. Stress is a killer and I think anything natural and useful is ok.
I would never go deeply into yoga or Buddhist ways, I worship no idols.
Still, I wondered if there is any danger to our spirits. I just want to be sure!

MaryM

Nov 25, 2022
I have heard that with certain yoga's, evil spirits can get access to a person's mind. I would never go that far with it.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
I have heard that with certain yoga's, evil spirits can get access to a person's mind. I would never go that far with it.
Hello Mary, I would be VERY careful about continuing to practice yoga and TM as a believer, as both clearly have a spiritual component to them .. e.g. Ephesians 6:12. Have you talked to your pastor about this?

I have two questions for you, one concerns your words above in bold, so my first question is, are you sure about that.:unsure: What happens when the effects that you are getting from yoga/TM begin to lessen and you want to get back to the original level again?

Also, have you considered giving Biblical meditation a try :unsure: (I believe that you will be pleasantly surprised if you have not :))

Finally, here's an article that you may find helpful as you continue to look into this, along with several additional articles that pertain to the same subject (you'll find them at the bottom of the article).

Go to: What does the Bible say about meditation? | GotQuestions.org

Praying for you!

God bless you!! (Joshua 1:8; Psalm 1:1-3; Lamentations 3:24)

~Deuteronomy
p.s. - I have an interesting story about Campus Crusade for Christ's (CRU's) The Jesus Film Project and Buddhist temples, if you'd care to hear it?

"Everlasting love shall be the pillow for my head this night" ~Spurgeon, Morning and Evening, Evening, Feb 27th

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
I understand.
However, as a mature strong Christian, I regard using basic meditation techniques s just that, techniques to relax for health. Stress is a killer and I think anything natural and useful is ok.
I would never go deeply into yoga or Buddhist ways, I worship no idols.
Still, I wondered if there is any danger to our spirits. I just want to be sure!
Transcendental Meditation or TM is the particular version that popularized meditation and Hinduism in the West.
Like the other Hindi gurus, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi failed at evangelizing America in the 1950s.

He returned home to India and I can't recall if he or his own guru claimed to have spent a number of months in a cave communing with spirits. He emerged and explained that he was told by a false god/ demon that America is not ready for Hinduism. However, they follow that which is "scientific." He must return to America and promote TM as a science. He then returned to America in the late 60s-70s and retaught Hindu meditation and religious philosophy with scientific and self help psychology terminology.
Guess what?
That demon was right about that.
As long as false religion is packaged the right way, it is accepted as truth by millions of westerners who were exposed solely to various forms of Christianity.
The yogi of the religion was connected with lots of famous celebrities. Then the help of those celebrities and media promos, Hinduism skyrocketed in popularity among young adults.

Eve was taught only by The Lord and Adam, but the serpent was very subtle and crafty. Even though our grandmother Eve was probably much more intelligent than you and I, she was deceived as are billions of others. That serpent set up an incredible network of organized devil spirits who work around the clock to try to convince us of such religious practices as yoga and meditation. They wrap it in terms that sell the ideas and techniques as desirable products to make one wise, knowing good and evil. If yoga were simply an Indian cultural practice with no religious/ spiritual significance, it might be no big deal, just a way to stretch the body for health.
I think that is what you were taught, just as I was taught and most others in America.

A couple of friends that used to attend my church were teachers of yoga. As teachers they should have known better. If someone didn't teach them what the Lord taught me about this, how would they know the difference?

MaryM

Nov 25, 2022
Transcendental Meditation or TM is the particular version that popularized meditation and Hinduism in the West.
Like the other Hindi gurus, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi failed at evangelizing America in the 1950s.

He returned home to India and I can't recall if he or his own guru claimed to have spent a number of months in a cave communing with spirits. He emerged and explained that he was told by a false god/ demon that America is not ready for Hinduism. However, they follow that which is "scientific." He must return to America and promote TM as a science. He then returned to America in the late 60s-70s and retaught Hindu meditation and religious philosophy with scientific and self help psychology terminology.
Guess what?
That demon was right about that.
As long as false religion is packaged the right way, it is accepted as truth by millions of westerners who were exposed solely to various forms of Christianity.
The yogi of the religion was connected with lots of famous celebrities. Then the help of those celebrities and media promos, Hinduism skyrocketed in popularity among young adults.

Eve was taught only by The Lord and Adam, but the serpent was very subtle and crafty. Even though our grandmother Eve was probably much more intelligent than you and I, she was deceived as are billions of others. That serpent set up an incredible network of organized devil spirits who work around the clock to try to convince us of such religious practices as yoga and meditation. They wrap it in terms that sell the ideas and techniques as desirable products to make one wise, knowing good and evil. If yoga were simply an Indian cultural practice with no religious/ spiritual significance, it might be no big deal, just a way to stretch the body for health.
I think that is what you were taught, just as I was taught and most others in America.

A couple of friends that used to attend my church were teachers of yoga. As teachers they should have known better. If someone didn't teach them what the Lord taught me about this, how would they know the difference?
You bring up many important matters. Yes I agree we must be very careful indeed.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
When the Lord offers us so very much, and the demons only offer what is temporary, it doesn't seem worthwhile to accept anything that comes from demons.

I was given a prayer shawl. It is large enough that I can use it to completely cover me, it has been blessed, it is made of natural wool. I use it to close out all the world, to be alone with Christ. I put Christ and all His words within me, starting with that tension spot between the eyes. Now, I don't need the shawl to help with this meditation.

There are many scriptures in the old testament telling us to meditate, in the new testament it doesn't use the word meditate but such as ponder, reflect, and other words describing meditation.
Always, our meditation is to be on God and the words of the Lord.
There are books on stretching that does what you want yoga to do for you, but with no connection to demons as there is with yoga.

Your life here on earth is temporary, the Lord offers you a great life for eternity. Demons want to kill, Christ offers life. I don't think it is worth it to have anything to do with anything demons work with.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
I wonder if it is ok to use yoga and Buddhist sorts of meditations and exercise techniques just for improving health? When using guided visualisation videos there is often a white light or guiding figure being imagined, that sends healing warmth into your body and mind.

I have become very anxious and depressed lately, often unable to sleep. I have found very effective videos on YouTube which help me relax and sleep well. I just worry that there might be something wrong in using these as I am a fully committed Christian believer.
I have found excellent psalms and proverbs readings by David Suchet. I would welcome any suggestions for Christian guided relaxation and healing videos please.
I think they’re okay.
‘But if you want a true Christian sound try https://www.ancientfaith.com/ which is a radio from the Orthodox Church.
‘They have chants and prayers 24/7.
Maybe you’ll like it.

blueluna5

Jul 30, 2018

I can't really think of anything evil about it. Although i will say I never say words I don't know the meaning such as in yoga they will say sometimes.

I did meditation during a very depressing time in my life. I had anxiety so bad I couldn't even read the Bible bc I felt like God hated me. It allowed me to step outside of myself enough and take the emotion out more. In this case I did the concentration on breath type of meditation. I also realized how negative my thoughts were... and that I was not attached to my thoughts. That was very enlightening. The negative was that I hit "enlightenment" and essentially felt my spirit lift out of my body. I didn't know what enlightenment actually was before. I did Astral projection different times but not fully awake and I just said no and went back in. That was easy for me bc I knew what was happening. Very strange and creepy experience though.

I also did the visualization type of meditation and prayer. This changed my life. I started having lucid dreams afterwards and met an angel in my dream. But... the reality between this world and the dream world is very close. When I pray I picture Jesus standing over them glowing and arms on them. I feel it... you need this for faith. It has changed my prayer life bc I feel it's effective and use to feel God didn't hear me. I was getting daily migraines and thought I had a serious condition. I prayed. I felt God right there and could see the light with my eyes closed. I felt the peace and it seemed like my migraine was going away. I said thank you. I woke up, it was completely gone and didn't come back. I think the visualization helped. I've never been good at praying with my words, but the effective part is what counts.