Meeting new people?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

Cali85

Hey all,
My name is Cali.... 24 and single. I just recently graduated from Nursing school. Decided to move 1800 miles away from home and begin a new adventure. Now I'm here and completely lonely and honestly a bit miserable. I've tried to find a church but I can't seem to make a single "friend" connection. I've started orientation at work but the closest person to my age is 38 and she has a husband and kids. Its very frustrating. I'm very introverted at first which certainly isnt helping things. I am not good at meeting new people, I always feel insecure and usually just keep to myself. The weird thing is that once I get to know a person I am the complete opposite. Right now I am in the frame of mind that I know that this is where God wants me to be because I prayerfully considerd this move but I miss my friends, my family and my church so much it hurts. I'm at a loss at what to do here. I'd love some advice if you have any to offer.
Blessings to each of you,

N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

hi cali! I know exactly what you mean, im an introvert myself at first, it takes me awhile to get comfortable with people. I'm sorry your lonely and miserable! Have you found a church where you have moved to?

C

Cali85

hi cali! I know exactly what you mean, im an introvert myself at first, it takes me awhile to get comfortable with people. I'm sorry your lonely and miserable! Have you found a church where you have moved to?
Hi,
Thanks for the reply! I found a church that I have been to a couple of times. I love the worship, the sermons are great but I cant seem to get past the "greeting time" connections. I mean people around me smile and shake my hand but thats as far as it goes. I know that part of it is my fault because I dont talk to people either. I come in, find a place to sit down and then pull out my bulletin or Bible and start reading so I dont look awkward sitting there by myself. I smile at people and try my best to look friendly but I dont talk to people because I dont know what to say and I always feel so insecure. Its incredably frustrating!

N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

Hi,
Thanks for the reply! I found a church that I have been to a couple of times. I love the worship, the sermons are great but I cant seem to get past the "greeting time" connections. I mean people around me smile and shake my hand but thats as far as it goes. I know that part of it is my fault because I dont talk to people either. I come in, find a place to sit down and then pull out my bulletin or Bible and start reading so I dont look awkward sitting there by myself. I smile at people and try my best to look friendly but I dont talk to people because I dont know what to say and I always feel so insecure. Its incredably frustrating!

HA! thats exactly what i do at church! Im very insecure myself as well. I also have a hard time with conversation when i dont know someone. I always feel really weird cause i have no idea what to say to them. Or sometimes i'll just start to ramble like an idiot because im so nervous! yeaaah church is not a good place for me lol

I havent yet quite figured out how to get over this, if you ever do... let me know asap lol

C

Cali85

HA! thats exactly what i do at church! Im very insecure myself as well. I also have a hard time with conversation when i dont know someone. I always feel really weird cause i have no idea what to say to them. Or sometimes i'll just start to ramble like an idiot because im so nervous! yeaaah church is not a good place for me lol

I havent yet quite figured out how to get over this, if you ever do... let me know asap lol

I'll let you know if I come up with any bright ideas.... Maybe someone else out there in their vast amount of wisdom will choose to enlighten us? Thats what I'm hoping for anyway :)

L

Lyndies

I'm the exact same way as you guys! I've found recently that it's fun to be yourself...like, be COMPLETELY awkward on purpose! It can be really fun. And awkward. But fun. And someone may laugh, then the ice is broken, and...voila!
Try it. What do you have to lose. So, someone may think you're weird...big deal. Everyone's weird and if someone isn't, it's because they're good at hiding it. :p

Sharp

May 5, 2009
Yeah I'm in the same boat.....and that's why we're all on the internet hahaha!

C

Cali85

Lyndies, thanks for the tip... I'll give it my best

Sharp.. I suppose you do make a valid point

S

seetheunseen

Hey your story sound similar to mine, I finished nursing school two years ago moved out to the middle on know where and my family moved half way around the country. For over four months I was alone in my apartment and I did not know what to do but at that time I also did not know the lord so I had no clue what type of church was for me and back than I was the type of person that would not talk to you unless you talked to me I had the worst of everything back than. But God clearly new because at christmas about five months after I moved there I got invited to this church christmas dinner for people that were alone on the holidays, I went the person who invited me was someone I worked with her daughter who was also a nurse I worked with was was the pastors wife of the church. I started to hang out with them and feel in love with the church and how kind they were and it was through all that I accepted christ and became a christian now I am best friends with all the people there we are a small church so we really are close and I am a part of every aspect I can be in my church I have also become a better person from it more open and confident in myself. The thing is I did absolutely nothing to find the people or place, God just lead me with out me know and I clicked with them, God provide me it all now that may not seem that comforting especially if your sitting alone at home, I get it is lonely but I honestly have no advice I can give expect trust God to help find the people you fit in with since I honestly did nothing to make my friendship happen with them, they just opened up and put me at ease so I was able to be free.

C

Cali85

Hey your story sound similar to mine, I finished nursing school two years ago moved out to the middle on know where and my family moved half way around the country. For over four months I was alone in my apartment and I did not know what to do but at that time I also did not know the lord so I had no clue what type of church was for me and back than I was the type of person that would not talk to you unless you talked to me I had the worst of everything back than. But God clearly new because at christmas about five months after I moved there I got invited to this church christmas dinner for people that were alone on the holidays, I went the person who invited me was someone I worked with her daughter who was also a nurse I worked with was was the pastors wife of the church. I started to hang out with them and feel in love with the church and how kind they were and it was through all that I accepted christ and became a christian now I am best friends with all the people there we are a small church so we really are close and I am a part of every aspect I can be in my church I have also become a better person from it more open and confident in myself. The thing is I did absolutely nothing to find the people or place, God just lead me with out me know and I clicked with them, God provide me it all now that may not seem that comforting especially if your sitting alone at home, I get it is lonely but I honestly have no advice I can give expect trust God to help find the people you fit in with since I honestly did nothing to make my friendship happen with them, they just opened up and put me at ease so I was able to be free.

Thanks so much for sharing your story. It gives me hope! I know that God is in control and I have to trust him in all aspects of my life. Thanks for giving me a reminder on that... I think we all need that every now and then.
Blessings!