Memory loss, saved or not

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 13, 2019
Hypothetical:

A person, 19 years old, comes to Jesus with an incredibly strong unshakable faith, fully dedicating their lives to Him.
Shortly after they are in a car accident and lose their memory from the past year.
They live a full life and pass away at age 90.

1 year of their life was lived as a true Christian.
70 years was lived without any faith or desire to come to Jesus.

Is this person saved?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Hypothetical:

A person, 19 years old, comes to Jesus with an incredibly strong unshakable faith, fully dedicating their lives to Him.
Shortly after they are in a car accident and lose their memory from the past year.

Is this person saved?
God is just, God is good, and He knows the hearts of all men...……...Hypothetically, when the time would come, ask Him.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
God is omniscient. He knows everything! So, he would know that this person was going to lose his memory in a year. And certainly, if his heart is quickened this man will turn to Christ, long before he turns 90. Simply because the Holy Spirit would make it happened.

But, your whole question is utter nonsense! Following Jesus is not just head knowledge, but a heart that is changed. Memory loss cannot change the state of one's heart!

"2 You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everyone, 3 revealing that you are a letter of Christ, delivered by us, written not with ink but by the Spirit of the living God, not on stone tablets but on tablets of human hearts." 2 Cor 3:2-4

26 I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit within you. I will remove the heart of stone from your body and give you a heart of flesh." Ez. 36:26

"So then, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; what is old has passed away—look, what is new has come!" 2 Cor 5:17

This is the real gospel! If God has changed his heart and made him into a new creation, then a lack of knowledge will not be a stumbling block.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
random question...how is it relevant?

I don't know. Is this a personal witness or an account of someone you know?

Hypotheticals are relatively useless...

Ruby123

Mar 1, 2019
God is omniscient. He knows everything! So, he would know that this person was going to lose his memory in a year. And certainly, if his heart is quickened this man will turn to Christ, long before he turns 90. Simply because the Holy Spirit would make it happened.

But, your whole question is utter nonsense! Following Jesus is not just head knowledge, but a heart that is changed. Memory loss cannot change the state of one's heart!

"2 You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everyone, 3 revealing that you are a letter of Christ, delivered by us, written not with ink but by the Spirit of the living God, not on stone tablets but on tablets of human hearts." 2 Cor 3:2-4

26 I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit within you. I will remove the heart of stone from your body and give you a heart of flesh." Ez. 36:26

"So then, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; what is old has passed away—look, what is new has come!" 2 Cor 5:17

This is the real gospel! If God has changed his heart and made him into a new creation, then a lack of knowledge will not be a stumbling block.
That was a brilliant answer.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Hypothetical:

Is this person saved?
you are not your memory. i can prove it.

name all the people in your 1st grade class! go!

can't?

that doesn't mean you never went to 1st grade.

G

Godsgirl83

I've worked in the Alzheimer's unit of nursing homes.
Let me tell you something, the people there have NO IDEA of whats going on around them.
One day I was giving a lady her bath. She was 102.......
day to day she had no recollection of anyone or anything, even her own family that faithfully came to see her.
While bathing her I was humming old children's sunday school songs "Jesus loves me this I know"........
She recognized that even though I was humming (softly) and water was running (LOUD)
She asked me to sing it, so I did, she smiled and sang parts along with me........ her face lit up, the kind of light in her eyes that only the Spirit gives.......
then proceeded to tell me all about her childhood going to church with her family, spiritual things she had witnessed growing up.
When and were she was when she accepted Jesus.......
Little later at the breakfast table I mentioned some of it to her........
she could not recall her shower, or our conversation...........

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Absolutely, as the person's salvation was secured by the death of Jesus dying on the cross for the remission of sin. You don't earn salvation by living a Christian life because if is a gift of God. Glad to have you onboard with us. Welcome to CC.

Oct 13, 2019
Memory loss cannot change the state of one's heart!
There are some who lose all memory with a full personality change.
This includes some who were once nice loving people, turned to anger filled psycho's.
Heart in biblical terms is referring to the intentional mind, which is affected in some accidents.

Oct 13, 2019
I've worked in the Alzheimer's unit of nursing homes.
Let me tell you something, the people there have NO IDEA of whats going on around them.
One day I was giving a lady her bath. She was 102.......
day to day she had no recollection of anyone or anything, even her own family that faithfully came to see her.
While bathing her I was humming old children's sunday school songs "Jesus loves me this I know"........
She recognized that even though I was humming (softly) and water was running (LOUD)
She asked me to sing it, so I did, she smiled and sang parts along with me........ her face lit up, the kind of light in her eyes that only the Spirit gives.......
then proceeded to tell me all about her childhood going to church with her family, spiritual things she had witnessed growing up.
When and were she was when she accepted Jesus.......
Little later at the breakfast table I mentioned some of it to her........
she could not recall her shower, or our conversation...........
What about those with multiple personality disorder?
I've heard occasions where one part of someones personality is Christian, and their other personality is atheist.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
I've heard occasions where one part of someones personality is Christian, and their other personality is atheist.
I quit speculating about another's salvation long ago. I know nothing but Christ and Him crucified. I find I must die daily for His sake. I am so busy working on this unholy human (myself)--I cannot speculate someone else's walk with Christ. I find it best just to encourage others to work on themselves and share what I have learned.:rolleyes:

G

Godsgirl83

Are you asking because you know someone personally going through something like this (in which case I would ask, have you prayed and sought the Holy Spirit concerning them)
OR
are you placing hypothetical thoughts out there to stir people up and sow discord?

Oct 13, 2019
Are you asking because you know someone personally going through something like this (in which case I would ask, have you prayed and sought the Holy Spirit concerning them)
OR
are you placing hypothetical thoughts out there to stir people up and sow discord?
Neither.
Do you have an answer or can you admit you don't know, because the question goes against the grain in Christianity.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Neither.
Do you have an answer or can you admit you don't know, because the question goes against the grain in Christianity.
With a hypothetical question, having an answer is irrelevant, because the question is irrelevant and answering it is a waste of time.

God is the Judge, and He will do what is right... period.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
Hypothetical:

Is this person saved?
Absolutely! God will never forget them because He knew their heart. :)
God rest the hypothetical soul unto His everlasting peace. Amen.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
Not only that but I have heard of studies of such persons wherein their alter personality has different color eyes, also there are those who's blood type changes when their alter(s) appear. Amazing stuff.
However, God is Omnipresent and Omniscient and I believe He knows the heart of those who are genuine in their faith and repentance. God can never forget His children. Not ever. :)
I would like to also add, if a hypothetical question goes against someone's belief it deserves attention, why not just ignore the thread altogether rather than cast aspersions as if it isn't worth anyone elses attention due to your judgment? Not every thread has to be responded to. The OP has their reasons for proposing their hypothesis. That's enough.

Oct 13, 2019
Hypothetical doesn't always mean fiction.
Hypothetical's are given because they are possible.
The hypothetical's I gave do happen, even if I don't know them personally.

From my experience, people get upset with hypothetical's when they don't have an answer and it puts tension on their faith.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Hypothetical doesn't always mean fiction.
Hypothetical's are given because they are possible.
The hypothetical's I gave do happen, even if I don't know them personally.

From my experience, people get upset with hypothetical's when they don't have an answer and it puts tension on their faith.
From my experience, people create hypotheticals to avoid dealing with their own reality. God doesn't deal in hypotheticals; He deals in actuals.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
I quit speculating about another's salvation long ago. I know nothing but Christ and Him crucified. I find I must die daily for His sake. I am so busy working on this unholy human (myself)--I cannot speculate someone else's walk with Christ. I find it best just to encourage others to work on themselves and share what I have learned.:rolleyes:
Unholy? You carry the most precious treasure within you that is to exist ever anywhere at all. Our Father's Holy Spirit. You are a Temple. Love your self and your body! As God does. See your self as God does.
:) Jesus did all the work on the cross. Let go and let God do the work leading you further and further into His righteousness and the plans He has for you.
1 Corinthians 6:19-20