Michael Brown's appearance on Benny Hinn show: Proof charismania isn't fringe?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

1still_waters

Justin Peter's really sums this up well.

One of the common criticisms of the Strange Fire conference held this past October was that the speakers (this writer included) painted all charismatic Christians with the same broad brush by lumping them in with the extremes of the Word-Faith/N.A.R./Dominion movement. Charismatic theologian, author, and radio host Dr. Michael Brown on the eve of the conference posted an open letter to Dr. John MacArthur stating that he “attributes the extreme errors of a tiny minority to countless hundreds of thousands of godly leaders worldwide.”[SUP][1][/SUP]

From this statement it is apparent that Brown does indeed recognize that there are “extreme errors” in the charismatic movement. Not to worry, however, because those who propagate such error constitute only a “tiny minority” of the mighty charismatic army.

I’m not a social media guy but a few of my more technologically astute friends alerted me to a tweet from Brown dated January 2, 2014 in which he stated that he “just recorded five wonderful TV shows with Benny Hinn.”

Benny Hinn? Really?

With this tweet, Brown unwittingly proved two of the basic points of the Strange Fire conference: 1) False teachers and charlatans are not the “tiny minority” in the charismatic movement but rather the norm and 2) There is a shocking and rampant lack of discernment within the charismatic ranks.
Read the full writing here.
Ignorance Is Not an Option

1still_waters

Is this an indicator that the Benny Hinn stuff, and all the other "fringe" stuff, really isn't fringe as they claim?

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Excellent article and well researched! And shocking all those false prophecies about Benny Hinn! One can discern he is a charlatan in only moments of watching him, while flipping through TV channels.

But I must say, my thought is that people like Hinn, Osteen etc, is that they are a lunatic fringe! Surely they CANNOT represent the majority of charismatics, let alone orthodox believers???

I stay as far away from these false prophets and their TV shows as possible. I watched a few Copeland shows in the 1980's and saw Benny Hinn on TV once shouting and demanding healing from God, and wrote them off as lunatics!

But what if these false preachers really do represent a majority? How many people don't attend their local church and rely on the lies of TV preachers, who teach false doctrine as daily fare?

I seriously don't want to take the time to investigate these charlatans, when there is so much real work to be done for the Kingdom of God! But maybe I am hiding my head in the sand?

Very thought provoking article!

1still_waters

Excellent article and well researched! And shocking all those false prophecies about Benny Hinn! One can discern he is a charlatan in only moments of watching him, while flipping through TV channels.

But I must say, my thought is that people like Hinn, Osteen etc, is that they are a lunatic fringe! Surely they CANNOT represent the majority of charismatics, let alone orthodox believers???

I stay as far away from these false prophets and their TV shows as possible. I watched a few Copeland shows in the 1980's and saw Benny Hinn on TV once shouting and demanding healing from God, and wrote them off as lunatics!

But what if these false preachers really do represent a majority? How many people don't attend their local church and rely on the lies of TV preachers, who teach false doctrine as daily fare?

I seriously don't want to take the time to investigate these charlatans, when there is so much real work to be done for the Kingdom of God! But maybe I am hiding my head in the sand?

Very thought provoking article!
Yup, and Dr. Michael Brown is one of the more "main stream", academic, scholarly folks from that camp. He says the Hinns and such are the fringe, yet he goes on his show!

F

Fishbait

There are many that use Christianity to make money. In my small town alone there are more churches than stores. Most are there to get the tax deduction on the income (donations) they make on Sunday morning. "Don't make us hollor don't make us shout just turn them pockets inside out" is their battle cry. The Lord told us about these people. When they tell Him about how much they did for Him the Lord will say, "Get behind me. I don't know you." Knowing who is and who isn't preaching the Bible as God would have it be preached is hard to do. One clue to watch for is when they ask for "prayer or faith money". Run away from them.

A

Anonimous

There are many that use Christianity to make money. In my small town alone there are more churches than stores. Most are there to get the tax deduction on the income (donations) they make on Sunday morning. "Don't make us hollor don't make us shout just turn them pockets inside out" is their battle cry. The Lord told us about these people. When they tell Him about how much they did for Him the Lord will say, "Get behind me. I don't know you." Knowing who is and who isn't preaching the Bible as God would have it be preached is hard to do. One clue to watch for is when they ask for "prayer or faith money". Run away from them.
Run! Do Not Walk To The Nearest Exit...