Minced Oaths!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

dave_in_KWC

May 21, 2014
KWC, Ontario
Ever heard of a Minced Oath? I’m guessing not.

Too many Christians today aren’t ever exposed to teaching about what used to be common-knowledge in the etiquette of the average Christian home or local church in North America and even in the public schools! NOT today!

If you say “je*z” or oh “my G*d” today in conversations with other Christians I would be pretty sure no one will “bat an eye” or say a thing about it being unGodly and sinful conduct. And yet these are vivid examples of what used to be called minced oaths or a “veil” for or a euphemism for cursing, blaspheming, or swearing.

A common definition of a minced oath is:

A minced oath is a euphemistic expression formed by misspelling, mispronouncing, or replacing a part of a profane, blasphemous, or taboo term to reduce the original term's objectionable characteristics. Some examples include "gosh" (for God),[1] "crumbs" (for Christ), "crikey" (for Christ kill me), "for crying out loud" (for Christ's sake),"darn" or "dang" (for damn),[2]"doggone" or "gosh darn" (for goddamn), "cor blimey" (for "God blind me"), "heck" (for hell), "gee", "jeez", "jeepers", or "Jiminy Cricket" (for Jesus Christ).

Scripture is clear, we are to call such euphemisms for the Lord’s name unGodly speech because they are merely ways of avoiding direct cursing or swearing in profane ways. Many today who call themselves Christians have profane lips and yet fail to heed this warning by the Apostle Paul under the unction of Holy Spirit:

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 King James Version (KJV)
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

The definition of reviling is: is to speak slanderously or abusively; to curse or defame.

I was serious reviled, scorned and mocked by two members of CC for politely addressing one of those members use of minced oaths in one of the chat rooms today, so I thought I’d point out this area of Christian etiquette for others who may never been taught such right behaviour.

Remember blasphemy (using the Lord’s name in vain or as a curse) is reviling the Lord our God and is worthy of fear of eternal judgement! And reviling each other is serious as well!

Recall what Jesus said about hating (which easily includes using hateful speech such as mocking, bitter sarcasm, or scornful or slandering or defaming and reviling) our fellow Believer:

Matthew 5: 21“You have heard that it was said to an older generation, ‘Do not murder,’ and ‘whoever murders will be subjected to judgment.’ 22But I say to you that anyone who is angry with a brother will be subjected to judgment. And whoever insults a brother will be brought before the council, and whoever says ‘Fool’ will be sent to fiery hell.