Misquoting Jesus?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Z

zackabba

Has anyone here read Bart Ehrman's book "Misquoting Jesus" or any of his other books? What do you think about them?

Descyple

Jun 7, 2010
Greetings Zackabba (I hope you don't think I am stalking you from the "Classical Music" thread to this "Bart Ehrman" thread - lol).

But I think I have some stuff that could benefit you regarding Ehrman's book.

I personally have not yet read Ehrman's book "Misquoting Jesus" so I cannot comment on it directly, however I have watched a debate between Bart Ehrman and Christian scholar and apologist James White. The debate is called "Did The Bible Misquote Jesus?" and in it Ehrman apparently uses the same arguments against the accuracy of the New Testament as he does in his book. James White defends the historical accuracy of the New Testament. The debate is very technical, but I am sure useful to all who wish to look further into this subject. Unfortunately the debate is not available on YouTube to watch for free (I just checked), and although I personally have the debate on DVD, you can actually purchase the debate as an audio-only download from James White's website for only $6 here

Alpha and Omega Ministries

If you prefer not to make the online purchase, what you can watch for free is a very informative 1 hour 30 minute video lecture given by James White regarding "The Reliability of the New Testament Text" in which he deals with many of Bart Ehrman's arguments (amongst others) against the New Testament's accuracy. The lecture can be viewed on YouTube here

The Reliability of the New Testament Text (Dr. James White) - YouTube

I am also in possession of a book which I will read only after I have read Ehrman's book, but I will mention it now as a possible future reference. It is the book written by Timothy Paul Jones as a direct response to Ehrman's "Misquoting Jesus." The book by Jones is called "Misquoting Truth - A Guide To The Fallacies of Barth Ehrman's Misquoting Jesus"

I hope these materials help!!!

S

Shwagga

Another great debate on the topic is:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg-dJA3SnTA[/video]

S

SantoSubito

I've read his book "Lost Scriptures" which is a compilation of various early Christian writings that didn't make it into the NT. But from reading his introductions to each book I can tell you that he is thoroughly a liberal historical-critical scholar. Which means basically that he discounts any and all miraculous or prophetical events in the Bible.

Feb 9, 2010
Watch this video concerning what they consider as variations is translations,and copies,which actually appear as harmless to the meaning of the Bible,which they are basically saying,if the copies were not copied exactly as in the original they still are basically harmless to the meaning of the Bible.

I have read through the Bible and it is the same theme throughout the Bible,and what Jesus said,the Old Testament declares,and if they were copied that much out of context it would appear plainly in which nobody would follow the Bible anymore,but it is the same theme throughout the Bible.

Top Bible scholars respond to Ehrman - YouTube

Z

zackabba

Greetings Zackabba (I hope you don't think I am stalking you from the "Classical Music" thread to this "Bart Ehrman" thread - lol).

But I think I have some stuff that could benefit you regarding Ehrman's book.

I personally have not yet read Ehrman's book "Misquoting Jesus" so I cannot comment on it directly, however I have watched a debate between Bart Ehrman and Christian scholar and apologist James White. The debate is called "Did The Bible Misquote Jesus?" and in it Ehrman apparently uses the same arguments against the accuracy of the New Testament as he does in his book. James White defends the historical accuracy of the New Testament. The debate is very technical, but I am sure useful to all who wish to look further into this subject. Unfortunately the debate is not available on YouTube to watch for free (I just checked), and although I personally have the debate on DVD, you can actually purchase the debate as an audio-only download from James White's website for only $6 here

Alpha and Omega Ministries

If you prefer not to make the online purchase, what you can watch for free is a very informative 1 hour 30 minute video lecture given by James White regarding "The Reliability of the New Testament Text" in which he deals with many of Bart Ehrman's arguments (amongst others) against the New Testament's accuracy. The lecture can be viewed on YouTube here

The Reliability of the New Testament Text (Dr. James White) - YouTube

I am also in possession of a book which I will read only after I have read Ehrman's book, but I will mention it now as a possible future reference. It is the book written by Timothy Paul Jones as a direct response to Ehrman's "Misquoting Jesus." The book by Jones is called "Misquoting Truth - A Guide To The Fallacies of Barth Ehrman's Misquoting Jesus"

I hope these materials help!!!
Good resource! I've actually listened to that debate before, but maybe I'll have a listen to it again soon.

The book may be a possible read as well...that is, *after* I've read Misquoting Jesus (I've read chapter one and a "plus" section included in the back of the book - interesting).

Grace and Love

Z

zackabba

Another great debate on the topic is:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg-dJA3SnTA[/video]
I can't believe they have this up! I looked for this, but couldn't find it - they must have put it up very recently.

Thanks!

Grace and Love

S

Shwagga

I can't believe they have this up! I looked for this, but couldn't find it - they must have put it up very recently.

Thanks!

Grace and Love
You're welcome! I'm sure you've already found out that the quality isn't exactly the greatest. But, you can still make it all out. What a great discovery though, first century manuscripts of John!

Z

zackabba

You're welcome! I'm sure you've already found out that the quality isn't exactly the greatest. But, you can still make it all out. What a great discovery though, first century manuscripts of John!
Aye...you know what, I mixed this up with the second debate they did (it was also on the manuscripts of the new testament). That one you have to pay for. Nevertheless, this was a great debate, and I can't wait to hear about the date of these new manuscripts!...in about a year :(

Thanks again - Grace and Love