Mission Trip! Need I say more ? :)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

GreenNnice

Where have you been lately, or, long ago, sacrificing time for Kingdom things?
How did you raise $$ to get there?
Did that trip do anything for your life during it and when you came home?

What CHANGED?

N

NukePooch

Lima, Peru

Spent the entire week on a jackhammer tearing down buildings to make room for a Bible college.

$$? Sent out letters, and God provided, over and above.

Unfortunately, being a 'work' trip, I didn't get much chance to mingle with the locals, but the highlight of the trip for me was when I was able to attend worship in Sunday service. The crowd was singing in Spanish, and the 20 guys I was with were all singing in English...it was awesome.

G

GreenNnice

I've not been on ONE mission trip but this one I went on was special indeed for me. I went with my church to Charlotte, North Carolina, in 1997, the inner city area, impoverished, and, needing help, 'course help best is showing them Jesus. :) Our mission was to go out to 10 different communities and pass out flyers Monday and Tuesday to people for spaghetti feed days on Wednesday and Thursday at a open pit area next to a building that was being transformed into a church. Our funds from the FEED (you like that word, msamber;) ) mainly went to helping a pastor get a new church going. So that was neat in itself but what turned out neatest, for me, was the way kids glommed onto me when we were passsing out flyers, 2 girls I especially remember, that just joined in as we daily 9-12 and 1-4 passed out these flyers Monday and Tuesday. The sweetest 11 year old you would ever meet and her 4 year old sister. Anyway, after those first two days of passing out flyers came the feast days and we had different speakers flown in from Dallas, etc. pretty big names as I remember but I can't quite remember their names now.

So....on Wednesday was the FIRST of TWO feasts, well, beg my pardon, the FEED (that again is for msamber:)) began at 6 in the eveneing and the food and music brought in quite a throng . It was a good ole gala time as there were people that did all kinds of things and I pretty much am one of those people I found out at this time that just helps any way I can and I helped put huge cartons of powdered lemonade mix into tubs and drag them out to people and other stuff. Then, at the end of the second feed night on Thursday, we were, again, making sure all the kids got on the buses as they were supposed to and parents too and everyone, even SINGLES, LOL, and, anyway, there was this one little girl that was bawling her head off.
I went over to her, only to find out it was this 11 year old sweet as could begirl that I got to know who followed and helped me pass out flyers Monday and Tuesday in our assigned 9th community. Well, she was upset for some reason and one of the fellow 12 church mission trippers from our church (mostly our singles group plus the leader Rich Wilkerson, who has a huge TENT church in Miami now and is son-in-law to Pastor Buntain, who pastors at my church in Tacoma, well, did for 40+ years before retiring at 82 a couple years ago, anyway, where was I???

So, this 11 year girl was crying, and, she was holding her little 4 year old sister's hand, who was, of course, bawling her head off too. So, they were then happy to see me I saw and I was able to calm down the 11 year old some as the other worker from our church group said, 'They can't find their mom.'

Well, anyway, to make a long story short, and, make no mistake, this was one of those times where I would five years later in life (2002) begin telling anyone that asked me, or even didn't, 'The Lord leads.' We were able to find the girls' mom-after I picked up the 4 year old and then held the 11 year olds hand and we scoured the place-- and the two girls were happy and that was that. But what a situation, my how God just found me and there were tons of kids, 5-10 buses and just was good to see isn't HOW God does things to help the little children of the world :) And, I, of course, was blessed to help their ordeal of crying subside.

God bless you all for taking mission trips this summer and those that have, please, please, say them out loud for everyone to hear. THAT is God's witness for you to change others life, oh, plus on that trip, just before I left, I was having a hard time with my dad, he and our relationship was distant. But, I called him on a pay phone in this time of 1996 August and we talked and talked one of those six nights we were in Charlotte. THAT talking really served to CHANGE my relationship with my dad when I got back. Praise God !! God does soooo much for us all the time IF we let Him and when we allow ourselves to go out of our comfort zone, so much can happen. I was not really knowing why I was going on this trip, hey, I'd never done more than be a lead in our church's Easter play growing up and also a lead actor in opening act of our church's X-mas play in 1996, a year before this mission trip to Charlotte.

Anyway, God can do soooo much when we just do it !!! Just do His good things out there. Pray about it happening and then WATCH what happens. Try to be proactive too, we MUST not just pray but then do actions that faith-help that prayer HAPPEN. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GreenNnice

Nuke, sounds like you had a good trip .

I was talkign about how you raised $$ for the trip.

And, as a prologue to my story, I helped a disabled girl go on the trip, she was a part of the singles group and I just became friends with her during a 1-2 year span I was embracing singles group going. The trip cost $650 to go on it and we did car washes and a food feed for our church as I remember and it raised enough for this disabled girl to go, but not me, I found out at the end of all our fundraising. The singles pastor brought me into his office and said, 'Hey, we have enough money raised so maryanne (the disabled girl) can go but we don't have enough money for you to go."

OK, so that was ALMOST the Lord, I thought, saying 'no' to going on the trip. But that was not nearly as strong a pull as the Lord still saying, 'GO.' So, I paid the $650 and went.

Also, as one other ender to this story, I spent the best $236 on the phone ever when I spoke to my dad, that is how much it turned out that phone call cost me, I just didn't realize it at the time when I talked to my dad for that over two hours time..... It's ALL GOOD FROM GOD :)

P

Psalm2713

I went visiting people in hospitals in my area .... I really didn't need any money at all..... it was pleasant.. for the most part...
until one of the patients I had been visiting passed......... it was so hard for me then .. my faith was shaken .. we had prayed for him but why didn't he get healed?..do you guys know why?...

G

GreenNnice

This isn't a mission trip but it is a mission story, so, I guess it works OK. :)

A few years back, I was heavily into doing church things all the time-singles group Tuesday, Wednesday night church, Sunday church and other activitiies). One 'other' activity was going to the streets of 15th and Pacific in downtown Tacoma, helping the homeless, and there we, different churches, were setting up tables with soup, bread, punch drink, etc.

Anyway, I was there a 3-4 weeks on FRIDAY NIGHTS in a row and the very first night I was there I met many people on the streets just walking around, street evangelizing really is what I was doing this time 15 years ago in my life now. It was fun and I met drunk people and people out of work and people drunk and out of work and horrible situations in there life and mostly just listened to them and then, as the Lord led me, told them about how they could have their life 'Jesus' changed with the power of God and the Holy Spirit entering their life in a simple way changing their life over time.

well, so, I did this these Friday nights in a row summertimes 15 years ago and on the LAST Friday I did this (I don't know why I stopped, the Lord leads). But anyway, the last time I helped out churches around Tacoma ALL helping out...something extraordinary happend. I had things happen in that LOCAL MISSION setting (I don't CAP for shouting, just emphasis, by the way;) that were amazing like when I wandered off by myself a couple blocks away to a area that was rough looking one Friday night (prior to serving homeless) and a guy there offered to teach me how to do karate. He took my head in a headlock (just demonstrating) and twisted me backwards and was just showing me karate.....I felt the power of God in my life during that demonstration but it was maybe me paranoid but I was just in a vulnerable position as it turned out. Just sayin', as Desert Joe would say :)

Anyway, on the LAST Friday I was there, getting back to the top of the last paragraph and completing that thought.....I was just doing the same thing, helping set up the tables and serving food to homeless when a guy came up to me, face shaven and bright smiling. He was the SAME guy I met the VERY FIRST FRIDAY I was at this mission church help event that was in SAD SHAPE, REEKING OF ODOR AND DRUNKENNESS AND UNKEMPT face and long hair all over....He said to me, shining eyes wide (after he first hugged me and I him), "I have a job now, I am working at a auto repair shop, I have got back together with my wife and family and I am very thankful of what you said to me about Jesus being able to save me if I wanted to be saved.'

I prayed for him the first time too, as I remember, or, at least, in those settings, I usually will do that, the Lord leads. Prayer changes so much. In some cases, as the cliche` goes, 'Prayer Changes Everything.' It's on posters and bumper stickers as sure you all know or have seen if you been in a christian bookstore. But sometimes prayer changes one thing ONLY, and, that is better than changing EVERY THING. May your prayers to others be for changing every thing that is good from God to them (and you.) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GreenNnice

Psalm2713: The Lord leads. We have no power over what happens in life, ONLY God does. Satan doesn't have any power over our lives either, only what God allows to have happen, ultimately. So the patient you were seeing dying at the hospital was ALL in His plan for them, I am sure your joy and spirit helped them in their life and hopefully you told them about Jesus. If you did not, then I would pray that they saw Jesus in you before they passed on. Because, not trying to make you feel guilty at all or whatever, just saying that God is real and so is Heaven and so is Hell. And, those that do not choose to believe in Jesus Christ will NOT have everlasting life with our Saviour who loves and cares for us.

Note: I did not say those that do not choose to believe in Jesus Christ will not have everlasting life. They will. But it will be in Hell. I am not judging, this is me talking, how I believe and John 3:16 is, by far, the MOST powerful, simple verse in scripture. I believe 'it' with ALL my heart. And, people, people, people, it is so easy, simple, to believe...:)

God bless you for your service to God and may God's love be with everyone, I soooo hope you all experience at least ONE mission trip that is outside your comfort zone. I have given you both of my major mission trip experiences-one local, one far-off, as, I have not been on many mission trips ( I may be forgetting a mission trip or two been on) but, all that said, ones God's sent me on , that is, that I have CHOSEN to go on, have been everlasting in my mind, forever changing me, here on Earth :) (Sorry, I write with CAPS often, I do it for emphasis, not shouting, that's just me, my me in me and it's ALL GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEN and it's all good, I hope and pray, cuz itza from God :)