Mitigating circumstances and praying for someone's forgiveness

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

mori

Suppose I were to pray that God forgive my brother for something, because he didn't know any better. If you overheard, how would you respond?

Many Christians, I imagine, would respond that the only basis for forgiveness is Jesus' self-sacrifice on the cross. Jesus doesn't say, by the way, they didn't sin because they acted out of ignorance. He says they sinned and needed forgiveness. Additionally, if a person wants forgiveness, he has to ask for it himself. You can't be forgiven because someone else prays for you, especially without your knowledge.

Right?

I'm confused, then, by Jesus' words on the cross: “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." Is Jesus not aware that his sacrifice in a couple minutes, not their ignorance, is the basis for their forgiveness? Is he not aware that they need to ask for it themselves? Or, what is the Father's response? He seems to be stuck with: "No, not until they want to be forgiven."

Those of you who've wrestled with this before, please advise.

A

AnandaHya

I believe that if someone does you wrong and you forgive them then God will forgive them and forgive you for your sins as well. I also believe that you can pray for forgiveness for others and ask God to touch their hearts and interceed for them. Moses often petition God for His people not to be destroyed and for mercy even though they were sinful and unrepentant.

through answered prayers your faith grows because you are reminded of God's faithfulness and you can give thanks and praise to Him. praying for people is always good as long as your heart is full of love.

Jun 24, 2010
The Lord ask the Father to forgive them because of how He was being treated leading up to and including the crucifixion. They were fulfilling (Ps 22:18, Mt 27:35, Lk 23:34) and the Lord Jesus Christ's heart was filled with mercy and grace as the sacrificial lamb that taketh away the sin of the world (Jn 1:29). Jesus never imputed a single sin to anyone but all sin was imputed to His body on the cross. The weight of that sin and iniquity was unbearable but He bore up under it and put ALL sin away without imputing sin to the world (Is 53:6,7, 2Cor 5:18-20). ALL sin was paid for through the blood of Christ and NO ONE goes to hell because of sin, they go because they did not believe what the Son did.

Last edited:
M

mori

I believe that if someone does you wrong and you forgive them then God will forgive them and forgive you for your sins as well.
It seems he said precisely this:

For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
I've always had difficulty with this verse, for similar reasons. It doesn't, for me, fit in the usual explanation.

M

mori

The Lord ask the Father to forgive them because of how He was being treated leading up to and including the crucifixion.
He asked them to be forgiven, if I read it correctly, because they didn't know what they were doing. My question, I suppose is, did God forgive them because they didn't know what they were doing? Or did he ignore the request and wait for a valid reason, Jesus' sacrifice?

Y

yaright

I believe that if someone does you wrong and you forgive them then God will forgive them and forgive you for your sins as well. I also believe that you can pray for forgiveness for others and ask God to touch their hearts and interceed for them. Moses often petition God for His people not to be destroyed and for mercy even though they were sinful and unrepentant.

through answered prayers your faith grows because you are reminded of God's faithfulness and you can give thanks and praise to Him. praying for people is always good as long as your heart is full of love.

I see strength formed buy humbleness in your witness of things taught by our blessed Redeemer. Jesus gave us a prayer do give daily; to continually bring into our presence, the blessing of God's Sovereignty, the blessing of our food, to forgive our sins as we forgive those who sin against us; We do this in Jesus name.

It is so tempting to believe our sin is not as great as the next person's sin. The question comes, then why was Jesus given into our own hands to crucify (the sacrifice of the Lamb of God) to Redeem.......

If we pray for someone who appears to have died into sin, by that prayer, "Those you bind on earth will be bound in Heaven."

But if Jesus presents that person to you as having been 'raised from the dead' , Jesus said, "You loose him."

"Those you loose on earth will be loosed in Heaven."

For many reasons, it is a necessary thing to pray. Jesus gave this in our Lord's prayer;

Jun 24, 2010
He asked them to be forgiven, if I read it correctly, because they didn't know what they were doing. My question, I suppose is, did God forgive them because they didn't know what they were doing? Or did he ignore the request and wait for a valid reason, Jesus' sacrifice?
Stephen made the same request when he was being stoned and when he kneeled down said, 'Lay not this to their charge' (Acts 7:60). Did the Father honor Stephen's request or was he waiting for a valid reason? Remember, this was after the death, burial and resurrection of Christ.

A

AnandaHya

I see strength formed buy humbleness in your witness of things taught by our blessed Redeemer. Jesus gave us a prayer do give daily; to continually bring into our presence, the blessing of God's Sovereignty, the blessing of our food, to forgive our sins as we forgive those who sin against us; We do this in Jesus name.

It is so tempting to believe our sin is not as great as the next person's sin. The question comes, then why was Jesus given into our own hands to crucify (the sacrifice of the Lamb of God) to Redeem.......

If we pray for someone who appears to have died into sin, by that prayer, "Those you bind on earth will be bound in Heaven."

But if Jesus presents that person to you as having been 'raised from the dead' , Jesus said, "You loose him."

"Those you loose on earth will be loosed in Heaven."

For many reasons, it is a necessary thing to pray. Jesus gave this in our Lord's prayer;

I believe every single person who has every came to know Christ had at least 12 people heartfully pray over their lives to God for them to repent and know Jesus. For them to be forgiven and freed of the bonds of sin.

The very first person would be Jesus when He prayed for those who would believe in His name through His disciples witness at the garden of Gethsemine.

Personally I know quite a few people who witness to me not only with their words but their life what it means to live in Christ and to forgive and love unconditionally.

To give out of love that expects nothing in return.

So praying for others sins to be forgiven is ok, but I have found that praying that they will undergo godly sorrow and repentance and turn from their sin to GOD helps too.

C

cindiluhoo

really good questions. I really think the bible quotes Jesus saying ," Forgve them for they know not what they do" in order for the reader, us, to realize the heart of Christ in that horrible moment before his final breaths. He was in the worst possible circumstance and still maintained his compassion for others over his own pain . He was actually following his own admonishment to us from Matthew to pray for our enemies; He was doing just that. praying for his persecutors.

B

Bloodwashed

It is my custom to ask God to forgive my children of their sins! Job 1:5! Am I not the High Priest of my own home?--Mark--