Modesty: A Man's Perspective on Ladies Clothing

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

cmarieh

Guys:
We have been talking a lot about what you want out a lady, but what about the way she dresses. What is modest to you? If she didn't dress this way would it be a deal breaker for you? What do you find most attractive in women's clothing? I am hoping this will generate some good conversation and help us ladies know what a man is thinking when they see a woman wearing a certain outfit. Please elaborate.

S

ServantStrike

Err... I don't know. Wear clothing that fits and don't pick something that you know exists solely to accentuate key target zones of your body. I guess men can be guilty of this too, but thankfully codpieces went out of style a few centuries ago.

As long as nothings falling out and the outfit isn't two sizes to big, you're probably good to go.

A general rule of thumb might be if you have to bend over by crouching down your knees because you can't do it at the waist or you'll expose your front or your back sides, it's too short or too tight. Otherwise, you're just wearing clothes, what's the big deal?

C

cmarieh

A general rule of thumb might be if you have to bend over by crouching down your knees because you can't do it at the waist or you'll expose your front or your back sides, it's too short or too tight. Otherwise, you're just wearing clothes, what's the big deal?
The thing is though there are guys out there that it is a big deal.

hoss2576

May 10, 2014
Oh please no, not a modesty thread. I have only now recovered from the last one.

S

ServantStrike

The thing is though there are guys out there that it is a big deal.
Oh it's a big deal to me.

I just like to see people in properly sized clothing without things hanging out. Other than that what else can someone do? Not much. I mean, this is personal preference here, but the color red is always quite nice, but that's just because I like it. I also like a woman who isn't afraid to wear a dress on occasion, because I like them. But again, that's personal preference.

If we're going to go down the list of what is or isn't an acceptable garment, we're going to be here a long time. And this thread is going to turn into a bloodbath like every modesty thread that ever existed on this forum.

S

Shouryu

cmarieh.jpg

*piku piku*

Have you REALLY been here since 2013? *smirk*

H

Hellooo

Is this modest enough

J

jeremyPJ

Modesty? I think everyone may have different views on what it means to them, but there are basic things to remember when dressing with modesty.

Is what I'm wearing going to lure others, or make my lady friends "skittish", when her man is around...
Is it tasteful, without being over the top?

If my lady wants to dress wildly (and I don't mind if just her and I go out for a nice evening to ourselves, and we come home and enjoy our union afterwards), that's great.
There's a time and a place for most things in a loving relationship. Especially THAT!
I'm Christian, but I'm no prude either, when the timing's right :) :)

JonahLynx

Dec 28, 2014
I don't think modesty is about the articles of clothing but rather the intention. If a girl is dressing in a way that is purposely sensual, then yeah it might be a deal breaker. But there is just so much nuance that I don't think a "standard" could be illustrated in a way that doesn't come across as legalistic. It isn't what you wear, it's why you're wearing it. The one who dresses beautifully but not in a way that advertises her body is the one I would call modest. The difference is almost always self-evident.

As far as specific clothing goes, this is totally subjective so... less than two cents worth. :eek: TBH fall and winter styles are most attractive. The girls I've been involved with were usually emo/goth/scene, so long sleeve or jacket and jeans is probably what I'm used to. I don't have a problem at all with skin as some do, but whatever you call those skirts with leggings is the best invention of all time. Again, completely my opinion and you shouldn't change your wardrobe based on what internet peeps say.

JonahLynx

Dec 28, 2014
Also, I wanna say that any dude who is badgering his girlfriend/wife or women in general to wear certain things or not wear certain things has not done his homework in Scripture. True modesty is not about rules and oppression.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
As long as I can't see her tan lines, I'm fine with it..

Last edited:
D

Donkeyfish07

I've found that modest dress and lack of makeup and jewelry is the best way to guess at a girls personality that you dont know. Hopefully nobody takes that to mean people who wear makeup, dress immodestly, or are fond of jewelry have anything inherently wrong with them. Not saying that at all. Just that lack of glamour is a much better indicator of Spiritual Maturity than indulgence in glamour. I happen to prefer those who don't use glamour. Most girls use at least some, so if I have several choices im going to pick the one who uses it the least.

by pick,i mean if i had to ask one out for coffee at random. I don't know of any other guys that look at it quite this way so I am probably the exception and not the rule.

Z

zaoman32

I don't believe in clothing

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
This thread is BDF bait... >.>

Nice chart though Grace-Like-Rain. I had to grin at the yoga one.
Can you wear them to yoga?
Yes.
Are you going to or coming from yoga?
Yes.
Namaste.

Fenner

Jan 26, 2013
I think this is a good question to ask CMariah. I've been trying to change my style a little lately. It's a challenge for me because I hate trying things on. I've always had a very relaxed style, I don't like dressing up, but latley I've felt the urge to dress more grown up. I'm not even sure what that means, so it's a struggle. I always gravitate to the jeans, v neck shirts and sneakers. I'm a boring dresser.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
All I know is that its almost spring/summer time. And that means sundresses and cowboy boots. I will be a happy man.

D

Donkeyfish07

Lol, sigh. If only whoever made those charts wanted to cure cancer.

J

jennymae

This flowchart reminds me of my late grandma who never'd let go of an opportunity to make sure that the younger ladies in her family dressed like they should...she had this fun saying about seeing all the way to the promised land or something...anyways...you really didnt wanna hear her hollering that from the porch lol;)