Money & the Bible: Tithing

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Charles

Money & the Bible: Tithing

Tithing is an issue that many Christians struggle with. In many churches tithing is over-emphasized. At the same time, many Christians refuse to submit to the Biblical exhortation in regards to making offerings to the Lord. Tithing / giving is intended to be a joy, a blessing. Sadly, that is rarely the case in the church today.

Tithing is an Old Testament concept. The tithe was a requirement of the law in which all Israelites were to give 10% of everything they earned and grew to the Tabernacle / Temple (Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:26; Deuteronomy 14:24; 2 Chronicles 31:5). Some understand the Old Testament tithe as a method of taxation to provide for the needs of the priests and Levites of the sacrificial system. The New Testament nowhere commands, or even recommends that Christians submit to a legalistic tithe system. Paul states that believers should set aside a portion of their income in order to support the church (1 Corinthians 16:1-2).

The New Testament nowhere assigns a certain percentage of income to set aside, but only says it is to be “in keeping with his income” (1 Corinthians 16:2). The Christian church has essentially taken the 10% figure from the Old Testament tithe and applied it as a “recommended minimum” for Christians in their giving. Although the New Testament does not identify a specific amount or percentage to give, it does talk about the importance and benefits of giving. They should give as they are able, “in keeping with his income.” Sometimes that means giving more than a tithe, sometime that may mean giving less than a tithe. It all depends on the ability of the Christian and the needs of the church. Each and every Christian should diligently pray and seek God’s wisdom as to whether to participate in tithing and/or for how much he or she should give (James 1:5). “Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7).

Reference: www.gotquestions.org

How much should a Christian give to their church every week?
Try reading 2 Cor. 8 & 9. Give according to what u have not what u don't have; give out of the kindness of ur heart. Right, the churches put to much on Tithing which is old testament. Always remember the poor.

C

christiancanadian

Wow. Some great discussion on here folks. I would just like to state my personal position on tithing- If a person WANTS to give 10%, by all means let them give 10% of their income. If a person WANTS to give move than 10% that's great! HOWEVER, THE MAIN QUESTION IS WHETHER OR NOT THE PERSON IS GIVING JOYFULLY!!! In my humble opinion, I believe that God would look more favourably on a joyful giver who gave less than 10% compared to another person who feels OBLIGATED to give 10% or more BUT DEEP DOWN DOESN'T WANT TO. Please don't get me wrong, GIVING TO THE LORD IS WONDERFUL. I think we should give all that we can afford....JOYFULLY! All praise to Jesus! amen!

Jan 8, 2009
Then again perhaps the person who doesn't want to give but gives anyway is making more of a sacrifice than someone who wants to do it?

L

link90

It says in the Bible to give %10 of your earnings, ''Put me first and all theses things shall be added unto you'':)

QuadeCore Nvidea GeForce9800

pagie

May 13, 2007
(Quote) LINK; It says in the Bible to give %10 of your earnings, ''Put me first and all theses things shall be added unto you'':)(QUOTE)

Hi Link how are you can you please tell me were it says that in the Bible.

C

christiancanadian

Then again perhaps the person who doesn't want to give but gives anyway is making more of a sacrifice than someone who wants to do it?
Yes, that is a good point. But if you look at the last lines of the first post, is it in his heart to give? That's where the 'joyful giver' comes in. Let's try to look at it from God's perpective...

Would you want to receive $100.00 from someone without a smile on their face and you know for certain that they don't want to really give it to you? Or, would you want to receive $100.00 from someone who is joyful and takes pleasure in handing you the money and WANTS you to have it?

Status
Not open for further replies.