More GMO fraken-food Headlines..

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 25, 2009
The article doesn't source its claim because it is hiding something. The EFSA did release a report about new potential dangers about GMOs... to bees. This development is a big deal but this article definitely isn't reflecting the reality of the situation. The news sites are just trying to get media hype out of nothing. Just like they did with the recent neanderthal baby report.

B

BarlyGurl

The article doesn't source its claim because it is hiding something. The EFSA did release a report about new potential dangers about GMOs... to bees. This development is a big deal but this article definitely isn't reflecting the reality of the situation. The news sites are just trying to get media hype out of nothing. Just like they did with the recent neanderthal baby report.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion... yet i am wondering why you seem compelled to disregard the GMO significance... or that the report relates to BEES as not being relevant to food for humans???? Bees are the major polinators of our FOOD... and also produce FOOD for us. I do not consider that NOTHING in the grand scheme of things. Further comparing serious precarious developments in out FOOD production to fairytale fabricated archeology is ... apples and oranges. But I do thank you for participating.

Jul 25, 2005
Judging by the title, the Cylons are likely behind it. Synthetic food for Synthetic organisms.

I hope my line won't be boxed.

Dec 25, 2009
Everyone is entitled to an opinion... yet i am wondering why you seem compelled to disregard the GMO significance... or that the report relates to BEES as not being relevant to food for humans???? Bees are the major polinators of our FOOD... and also produce FOOD for us..
The article referenced a recent report by the EFSA that supposedly showed this "toxic gene". All I am saying is that the article being presented doesn't accurately represent any of the EFSA reports that I have read recently nor does it seem to follow the abstracts of any of their recent reports that I have yet to read. I never stated that bees are not important to human food production. They definitely are which is why the EFSA is so involved in spreading information about the problem.

Further comparing serious precarious developments in out FOOD production to fairytale fabricated archeology is ... apples and oranges. But I do thank you for participating.
I am guessing you didn't see the report on producing a neanderthal baby which was written completely over a quote-mine from a Harvard professor. I was comparing this article to that article in the way that it skews the information for the benefit of getting views.

There are a lot of positives and negatives to having GMO crops. In my opinion, the positives greatly outweigh the negatives. However there are also a lot of unnecessary negatives that come from the greedy nature of the major GMO companies, an example being Monsanto, trying to get as much profit as they can without considering how much they are hurting people's health or lifestyle.

B

BarlyGurl

There are a lot of positives and negatives to having GMO crops. In my opinion, the positives greatly outweigh the negatives. However there are also a lot of unnecessary negatives that come from the greedy nature of the major GMO companies, an example being Monsanto, trying to get as much profit as they can without considering how much they are hurting people's health or lifestyle.[/QUOTE]
Please do specify the "Positives" of GMO crops... ????

Dec 25, 2009
It allows for larger harvest which make food affordable. It also can be used to make the edible parts of plants be higher in nutrient. GMO crops can be made to live in more hostile environments than their non-GMO counterparts. All of these together allows food to be more readily available around the world.

W

webchatter

It allows for larger harvest which make food affordable. It also can be used to make the edible parts of plants be higher in nutrient. GMO crops can be made to live in more hostile environments than their non-GMO counterparts. All of these together allows food to be more readily available around the world.
ha ha ha. Do you really believe what you are saying, or are you a media sheep? Do you know that most gmo plants contain roundup in their dna? the bees die when they pollinate the plants.
do you drink roundup? well why do you want to eat it? Does eating this gmo change your dna? So an animal is fed the gmo plant as food, then you eat the animal after it's dna was changed, then your dna changes & then what? do you get tumors, dementia,cancer or just turn into a zombie? yeah, sounds good & healthy to me. good for my kids & grandma too.
Actually, in the US these gmo seeds/plants are patented & we now have fewer varieties of non gmo food/seed because monsanto has bought the other seed companies out & destroyed the seed.
Therefore, when everyone is planting the same corn, 1 bug or disease can kill the entire crop on the planet.
Non variety causes worldwide famine.
Oh & you're right, food is soooooooo much cheaper. ha ha ha

Dec 25, 2009
ha ha ha. Do you really believe what you are saying, or are you a media sheep?
I am actually in school to get into the field.

Plus most media sheep actually believe what they are saying when they regurgitate ideas. They just don't have an understanding of the information to justify their belief in whatever subject they are talking about. They usually just use appeals to authorities such as news stations.

Do you know that most gmo plants contain roundup in their dna?
The plants don't contain Roundup in their DNA. The GMO plants do not produce this particular herbicide as a protein within itself. However, GMO plants have been made to be Roundup-ready. This means that they have been modified in a way so that Roundup will not harm the plant. This is accomplished by the insertion of nature genetic information found in a type of bacteria that was already resistant to the Roundup. It naturally had this gene because some other micro-organisms produce something similar to Roundup which it would kill off the ones that didn't have resistance.

the bees die when they pollinate the plants.
This is not what is happening. Even if you look at the reports.The bees are dying to something called colony collapse disorder. This disorder seemed to be caused mainly by nutritional stress. So what does this have to do with GMO? Directly? Nothing. Indirectly? A lot. Because of Roundup-ready crops, and other herbicide-resistant crops, it means that farmers use more herbicides which include Roundup. This kills off a lot of the other plants that the bees rely on for a healthy diet. There are other factors going on such as increased use of pesticides which stress the bee's bodies even more. There has also been an increase in certain fungus pathogens in many regions over the last 20 years which are probably involved in causing colony collapse disorder. The reason for the increase in these fungi are not well understood, but could very well be because they are more successful in the monoculture environments. So, the bees dying have a lot to do with do with modern farming technique but it is no direct link to GMOs. Not all GMO are pesticide-ready and herbicide-ready, and those shouldn't be lumped into the pile at all because they don't even indirectly cause the disorder as they do not make farmers feel safer with their usage of pesticides and herbicides.

do you drink roundup?
No. Do you eat fertilizer?

well why do you want to eat it?
Because there would be no benefit and there could likely be harm when having it in huge doses.

Does eating this gmo change your dna?
No.

So an animal is fed the gmo plant as food, then you eat the animal after it's dna was changed, then your dna changes & then what? do you get tumors, dementia,cancer or just turn into a zombie? yeah, sounds good & healthy to me. good for my kids & grandma too.
The animals DNA doesn't change because of it. Our DNA doesn't change because we eat those animals.

Actually, in the US these gmo seeds/plants are patented & we now have fewer varieties of non gmo food/seed because monsanto has bought the other seed companies out & destroyed the seed.
This is true and its something I hate about Monsanto. However they did not destroy the seeds. They have them locked away in safe areas and do not sell them. Monsanto isn't a stupid organization, just a greedy one. They know that having a ton of different seeds on the market would make it harder for them to produce, sell and keep up with all the contracts. However if a crop rust, or another type of crop disease, started killing off a large number of crops they could easily just pull out a different strain and start selling that. However they would probably genetically engineer that strain as well.

This was, however, going on before genetic engineering began. Seed companies would only have only a few varieties of seeds available even though they had a large supply of other seeds that were safely being produced and saved for future generations. They sold only a few varieties for the same reasons that Monsanto does today but they weren't GMOs. So why did the farmers keep buying seeds? Most plants today are hybrids and it is very difficult to breed them in such a way that they continue to keep all the traits you want them to. If they were to try to continue to use the seeds from their corn crop after just one or two generations they would start seeing tons of variety in the plants that would be unwanted.

Therefore, when everyone is planting the same corn, 1 bug or disease can kill the entire crop on the planet.
Non variety causes worldwide famine.
Oh & you're right, food is soooooooo much cheaper. ha ha ha
I think I already went over most of this. The same strain is good for the grower and for the seed seller, but it has dangers that I don't like them risking. I do not like many of the practices being employed by the seed companies or large scale growers, but I understand why they do the things they do. It does make food a lot cheaper and it does make larger harvests, but it has a lot of negative side effects as well. I think the positive benefits of GMOs outweigh the bad, but that is not saying that I don't think that the negative effects are not a problem. People need to stand up and do their part in getting rid of the problems caused by the methods, but we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2012
This is not what is happening. Even if you look at the reports.The bees are dying to something called colony collapse disorder. This disorder seemed to be caused mainly by nutritional stress. So what does this have to do with GMO? Directly? Nothing. Indirectly? A lot. Because of Roundup-ready crops, and other herbicide-resistant crops, it means that farmers use more herbicides which include Roundup. This kills off a lot of the other plants that the bees rely on for a healthy diet. There are other factors going on such as increased use of pesticides which stress the bee's bodies even more. There has also been an increase in certain fungus pathogens in many regions over the last 20 years which are probably involved in causing colony collapse disorder. The reason for the increase in these fungi are not well understood, but could very well be because they are more successful in the monoculture environments. So, the bees dying have a lot to do with do with modern farming technique but it is no direct link to GMOs. Not all GMO are pesticide-ready and herbicide-ready, and those shouldn't be lumped into the pile at all because they don't even indirectly cause the disorder as they do not make farmers feel safer with their usage of pesticides and herbicides.
The plants are causing the problem because the bees get most of their nutrition from the pollen and honey,the rest comes from liquids and juices from the plants. The bees don't get the nutrition they need from the plants because they have been altered.

R

RachelBibleStudent

Do you know that most gmo plants contain roundup in their dna? the bees die when they pollinate the plants.
do you drink roundup? well why do you want to eat it?
this is pure nonsense and it is the kind of thing that makes the anti-GMO movement look misinformed and misguided...

there is no such thing as a plant with roundup in its DNA...genetically modified or otherwise... there -are- plants that have been genetically modified to be -resistant- to roundup...all this means is that these plants are coded to produce a slight variation on an enzyme already present...a variant that is capable of producing amino acids as normal even when roundup is present... there is nothing hazardous about that...

there are legitimate questions and concerns about genetically modified crops...this is not one of them... if you want to see any of the legitimate issues addressed...don't muddy the waters with nonsense and discredit everyone who is raising questions...

Dec 25, 2009
The plants are causing the problem because the bees get most of their nutrition from the pollen and honey,the rest comes from liquids and juices from the plants. The bees don't get the nutrition they need from the plants because they have been altered.
Bess can often, but not always, still get nutrition from the genetically modified plants. The main problem is that it becomes their only source. Usually bees would have access to other small flowering plants and their nutrients but those "weeds" get killed from the herbicides. This limits the bees diets and makes CCD more likely. Neonicotinoid pesticides are also to blame because it puts huge stress on the bees' health. These pesticides being used as heavily as they are does far more damage to the bees than the lack of nutrient diversity does. You should be far more worried about the kind of pesticides the farmers are using than whether or not they are using GMO crops.

G4JC

Feb 9, 2011
Since everyone's talking about bees, you might find this documentary video of interest...
[video=youtube;oVuFvxjBbig]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVuFvxjBbig[/video]

Dec 25, 2009
I had to watch that video in one of my classes and find potential problems with the reasoning in it. It is still a very good video but I think they throw out some of the other potential causes a little too quickly.

B

BarlyGurl

So Kringle studying to be in the GMO field. I was going to layout a serious and biblical explanation on WHY GMO is NOT food and then shred the rest of your "argument" for GMO. But since you are studying to be a GMO propagator and your profile says you aren't a christian... use of biblical principals and the truth of scripture is...MOOT.

Most bible believing Christians recognize that franken-food GMO is NOT food and forbidden by scripture even though they might not be able to make a clear or scholarly defense of their belief.

Certain Facts for you tho... GMO Crops when offered as a buffet FREE CHOICE along with organic unmodified crops will be rejected entirely in favor of the natural food. This has been observed over and over and over again in real world scenario. Corporate farming techniques feed all classes of livestock in a feedlot (forced) system... the animals have NO CHOICE. IN the field... birds and deer will use the GMO crop for cover and eat the organic crop next door... all the time... when there is an alternative they will eat the natural food, FACT. Your ethic stink... at this point your reservations are WORTHLESS... because you mindset is that the franken-food is FOOD. Ignoring the deviant ruse of legal venue to put small independant farmers out of business... on your part... is ... eww.... just eww.

B

BarlyGurl

There is a pretty good 4:44 minute YOU TUBE by Lee Camp- every 30 minutes a farmer kills himself. I can't post it here for liberal use of "language"... but he's a great ranter.

Dec 25, 2009
Corporate farming techniques feed all classes of livestock in a feedlot (forced) system... the animals have NO CHOICE. IN the field... birds and deer will use the GMO crop for cover and eat the organic crop next door... all the time... when there is an alternative they will eat the natural food, FACT.
I haven't seen evidence of the latter happening. Also I am against the farming of animals.

Your ethic stink... at this point your reservations are WORTHLESS... because you mindset is that the franken-food is FOOD. Ignoring the deviant ruse of legal venue to put small independant farmers out of business... on your part... is ... eww.... just eww.
I already pointed out that I was against Monsanto and their activities in other countries.

W

webchatter

TheKringledone, I want to apologize for my previous post. I'mn sorry for the "ha ha". Who writes your required college books Monsanto or a close interest group? Too much blame is being placed on farmers. They just about don't have a choice in their farming techniques, if they want to keep out of the court system, keep from being sued by the gmo producing companies. No food should be allowed to be patented,ever. Bees have been filmed dropping dead, (before they could make it back to the colony, resulting in colony collapse), while eating a round up ready gmo plant.