Most kangaroos are 'left-handed'

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 27, 2013
Most kangaroos are 'left-handed' - BBC News

Wild kangaroos tend to favour their left hands during common tasks like grooming and feeding, a study suggests.

The researchers say this is the first demonstration of population-level "handedness" in a species other than humans, who are mostly right-handed.
The evidence comes from hours spent observing multiple species in the wild.
Two species of roo and one wallaby all showed the left-handed trend; some other marsupials, which walk on all fours, did not show the same bias.

Similarly, they suggest, the transition to an upright posture may have been key to primates developing handedness.
It remains to be seen if there are particular aspects of the brain in these marsupials that have allowed handedness to develop - and whether they can explain why kangaroos, in contrast to predominantly right-handed humans, tend to be southpaws.

side note
key to primates developing handedness.

ape to kangaroo,................etc to humans, do you think science is sending confusing signs to the next generation. what are they teaching in school these days. in contrast to predominantly right-handed humans, tend to be southpaws.

and now they are boxers.( yo adrian, i did it)

K

Kencore

That's because they live south of the equator. You know the toilet bowl effect.

T

Tintin

Most kangaroos are 'left-handed' - BBC News

Wild kangaroos tend to favour their left hands during common tasks like grooming and feeding, a study suggests.

The researchers say this is the first demonstration of population-level "handedness" in a species other than humans, who are mostly right-handed.
The evidence comes from hours spent observing multiple species in the wild.
Two species of roo and one wallaby all showed the left-handed trend; some other marsupials, which walk on all fours, did not show the same bias.

Similarly, they suggest, the transition to an upright posture may have been key to primates developing handedness.
It remains to be seen if there are particular aspects of the brain in these marsupials that have allowed handedness to develop - and whether they can explain why kangaroos, in contrast to predominantly right-handed humans, tend to be southpaws.

side note
key to primates developing handedness.

ape to kangaroo,................etc to humans, do you think science is sending confusing signs to the next generation. what are they teaching in school these days. in contrast to predominantly right-handed humans, tend to be southpaws.

and now they are boxers.( yo adrian, i did it)
Evolution is a load of bollocks, but this is nonetheless quite interesting. Especially since I belong to the left-hander's club.

3Scoreand10

And why was tax money spent on this?
How can people accept a pay check for doing this kind of research when children are dying of hungar every day?

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Since i'm a lefty too, I will never run over a kangaroo ever again...:rolleyes:

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
My wife's a southpaw, maybe I'll send her down under..hehe

Or maybe I can nickname her Kangy :p

Last edited:

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Evolution is a load of bollocks, but this is nonetheless quite interesting. Especially since I belong to the left-hander's club.
I've always felt like there was something really strange about left handed people...
not it's obvious that they're actually kangaroos.

J

jennymae

I am a kangaroo???;)

Dec 12, 2013
That's because they live south of the equator. You know the toilet bowl effect.
Funny....I have been to Australia 4 times in the last 8 months and fixing to go again and I don't recall which way the "loo" flushes, but I will say....they definitely have the toilet figured out down under........!

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
How do you even tell if a kangaroo is left handed?

You hand him a pen and paper and see which way he writes a letter?

(For the really young people, a pen is this thing we used to write with. It's full of ink inside. Oh, and ink is this stuff that's like paint, but thinner, and it would come out of the pen and go onto the paper. Oh, and paper is this stuff that... ya know, this is a way harder than I expected.)