Mother doesn’t want me to answer unknown phone numbers

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
www.101christiansocialnetwork.com
I feel like honoring and obeying are diff y’know? You can correct me if I’m wrong on this, but I guess the Bible is for (as in, instead of opposed to) the concept of “for children it’s obeying (not always) + honoring parents, while adults gotta be honoring parents.” (regarding obedience to parents, it seems the Bible is for a not always kinda thing, if I’m not mistaken. This is maybe gonna be a very, very, highly, highly, highly, improbable example, but say, if they said to murder, it’s better not to).

The word for honour - in honour your parents - is the same word used in biblical commands to honour God. It is quite specific and puts parents in a much higher position over a son or daughter than our modern societies tend to find anywhere near acceptable, whether we like it or not God instituted it to be this way. A son of daughter remains a child in the sense we are called the children of GOD, it is not an age dependant command.

Obedience to parents is commanded. It is that simple. To disobey is to dishonour God.

Eph 6 sChildren, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 t“Honor your father and mother” (this is the first commandment with a promise), 3 “that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land.”

OBEY AND HONOUR seem to be interdependent here. one and the same in the context by the look of it.

In the context it appears to speak to minors, but it is clear that this word children is positional and relational, and so is not age dependant, no more than being a child of God is age dependant. There is no age at which this ceases to be relevant to a someones son or daughter.

The only authority above a parents is God's. When they command you to break a command of God, then you have to submit to the higher authority of God. It is the same with the government really, we are to submit to them unless the law breaks the command of God in what it instructs.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
teens often want to test their parents and they want to be independent and figure things out for themselves.
They soon learn that what their parents told them was right all along!

Most parents who love their children tell them things, its ones that dont care and are absent and dont instruct who arent actually doing the job of parenting. When our parents fail us, or pass away, we have God as our Father.

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
I’m not sure if I’ve gone through everything, but thank you to everyone for spending time to respond.

presidente

May 29, 2013
Hi everyone, minor here. My mother tells me to not answer calls from numbers I don’t know. Do you guys have any advice regarding this? I feel bad because it might be something important from someone and also I could potentially be in a position where I come off as rude to the person trying to call me right? I know obedience to parents is talked about in the Bible, but do you guys think I should obey in this case? Thanks! Btw, in case this affects what your answer will be, my mother is non-Christian.
Obey your parents.

As you get older, if you get busy, you might not want to answer the ones from people you know, either.

It seems like most calls are from scammers and marketers who do not observe the do-not-call list.

ankagirl

Feb 10, 2021
Hi everyone, minor here. My mother tells me to not answer calls from numbers I don’t know. Do you guys have any advice regarding this? I feel bad because it might be something important from someone and also I could potentially be in a position where I come off as rude to the person trying to call me right? I know obedience to parents is talked about in the Bible, but do you guys think I should obey in this case? Thanks! Btw, in case this affects what your answer will be, my mother is non-Christian.
I would say that in this case, yes, obey your parents. First of all, your parents want what is best for you. They are most probably only trying to protect you. Even if your mom is not a believer, she still loves you!

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
I would say that in this case, yes, obey your parents. First of all, your parents want what is best for you. They are most probably only trying to protect you. Even if your mom is not a believer, she still loves you!
Of course! She loves me very much and I ought to be very grateful haha. She even works very hard.

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
Y’all keep responding to my post so I should probably go ahead and say that you guys can stop now haha. Or not, you can reply if you really want to I guess

EnglishChick

Apr 20, 2021
England UK
I don't answer unknown phone numbers. If am not expecting someone to call and I don't recognise the number I won't answer. Too many scammers. I don't want to be rude to anyone or hurt their feelings but scammers are thieves and tricksters and should be earning an honest living. I don't hate them as Jesus wouldn't hate them but I don't owe them my time or energy

EnglishChick

Apr 20, 2021
England UK
Also sometimes v. needy people from my past who am no longer wanting in my life try to call me. I prefer not to engage with that kind of selfish behaviour of harassing me with their calls.

I want to invest my time and energy wisely with relationships that bring me joy and good sound fellowship. If am no longer wanting to engage with someone there is a reason for that!

We.are.to forgive.others from our heart but nowhere in the bible are we commanded to go back.to every person and men's every relationship