Movies and Christians

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

1still_waters

I'll try and keep this brief.

One thing I've noticed with many Christians is some of the more 'spiritual' seem to talk about having a clean mind and watching what comes in, then they turn right around and watch movies that are rated p-13 or R and are filled with sex and violence.

They almost seem oblivious to the contradictions.

Am I just making too big a deal of the violence and bad language in pg-13 movies in relation to Christians who seem very preachy on what you let in your mind and such?

By the way, I'm not really preachy in relation to movies.I kinda keep my mouth shut on this topic.

I guess this is more in relation to those who are preachy and yet watch the stuff and seem oblivious to the contradiction. Or isn't it a contradiction and the violence, foul language is ok to view?

N

nanabean

I do believe in "practice what you preach"...so yes, if you tell others to be mindful of what they watch, take in, do, etc....then you yourself should be mindful of what you watch, take in, do, etc...if you don't, then yes that's a big contradiction.

As for rated PG13 and R movies......there are some rated PG13 movies I find appalling to think of any 13 year olds watching. I will not sit and call them or the companies that make them "evil" ...just I find the "rating" inappropriate.

But I would like to point out also, that SOMETIMES mistakes happen too in that we don't realize how much foul language there is in a movie until it is too late......the saddest part is that many a movie has been made that if you just took those things out of it, it would be just fine!!!

M

mcap

When I first got married I was not a Christian and my mother-in law was pentecostal holiness.She berated my wife and I for watching filth on tv and going to movies that were R rated.Then she would go right behind us and watch the same type of things.
You have to practice what you preach.Don't say one thing and do the opposite.This is what turned me off from church as a kid.
I would like to add that it is hard to know what a movie is really about until you watch it.My wife and I recently saw a movie and had no idea so much nudity was in it.We paid no attention to the rating(duh) so I guess we deserved what we got. God bless

C

christepidemic

I am a Christian/Minister, and I NEVER preach to anyone about rather or not they should watch movies. Truth be known, I like to go with my (teenage) son and watch the ocasional "blockbuster" (Transformers, Terminator 4, etc.) and do so without any personal convictions on the matter. I do limit what I take in though concerning any sexually explicit movies. (I will not watch stuff like "American Pie") Some of the PG13 stuff is worse with the sexually explicit stuff than some R rated ones! I personally guard myself (and subsequently my son) more on the content of a movie than the rating...

iwant2serve

Apr 12, 2009
Well I have said and will continue to say that TV is for entertainment not reality. Most everything we watch is for ratings. If it has low ratings than it does not last. However if one speaks against anything then they themselves should practice what they preach. We are all different and what convicts me may not you. Therefore I cannot push my convictions on you. I watch many different types of movies and if there is something I have a problem with I don't stop anyone in my family from watching it, I just find something else to do. There is a song titled Sweep Around your Own Front Door. Agood piece of advise for us all.

1still_waters

I am a Christian/Minister, and I NEVER preach to anyone about rather or not they should watch movies. Truth be known, I like to go with my (teenage) son and watch the ocasional "blockbuster" (Transformers, Terminator 4, etc.) and do so without any personal convictions on the matter. I do limit what I take in though concerning any sexually explicit movies. (I will not watch stuff like "American Pie") Some of the PG13 stuff is worse with the sexually explicit stuff than some R rated ones! I personally guard myself (and subsequently my son) more on the content of a movie than the rating...
Well I can respect someone who at least remains silent on the issue and watches the stuff. It's them preachy folks that get under muh skin as they go and do the stuff they preach against.