Moving Out

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
W

Wug

Yo,

I've been on Christian Chat since April (09), and in that time I've talked to quite a few people that aren't from America, and they often ask the same question. ''Do you live with your parents?'' I tell them that I live alone, to which they reply ''Are you a student then?'', to which I reply that I'm not currently a student, no. And they seem a little shocked that I live alone, at a young age, when I could be living with my parents. I'm wondering, is it just an American thing to move out of your parents' house when you can? I think that the independance is cool, and it's nice having everything to yourself. Your own fridge, your own kitchen, your own bathroom (huge pluss). Or am I just weird? Is it not even an American thing to want to live on your own as soon as you can financially do so? If it is an American thing, is it broader than just America? Is it the same in Canada, Australia, Britain and other places?

I get along with my parents great, I still visit them every day. It's just easier on me and them if I'm not there all the time.

I would like feedback from all kinds of folks. Americans, Non-Americans, people living with their parents, people like me who are living alone, etc. Do you live with your parents? Do you want to move out? If so, why?

S

Searching4somethinglost

absolutly canadian too my friends dad bought him a house to live in and hes only 16!

cozy

Jan 18, 2010
I left my parents 10 days after I graduated High School and was not even 18 until months later. I moved out and had a job in a couple of days and never went back exept to visit.

J

Jordan9

Ha, well I still live at home. I'm a uni student, but I decided to go to the uni that was in my town to save some money. :p

A

aprilrenee1

Independence is mainly a american thing. I work with a highly hispanic poplulation and community of family is held very very dear. In many african american cultures, in some ways this is the same (many, not all). African culture, tribal....Native American. america holds a very "rugged indivisual" value. I understand and in some ways this is good, but even in biblical times the single lady would wait to move out until the one came to her and married her...the house already in place....or they would add on to the part of the house the parents are living in (Asian families tend to do this)....In Many Cultures family is it. This is why also, you will find this with refugee families, that the kids of the parents will want that independence to go and do and see the world. It causes a rift between families.

read the House on Mongolia Street. Its a good "story" of a hispanic family coming into the heart of Chicago.

B

Belgian_Pilot

Hi Wug,

I'm not from America, and yes, I live at home... But trust me, I don't think you're strange at all! I love my parents as well, but just like you, I won't stay here forever... For now, It's okay. If I have saved enough money, my big dream would be to go to a poor country (mission), but I suppose God will descide what will happen, and I trust Him.

Cheers!

D

Dread_Zeppelin

Its shocking because people here are poor. I can't afford anything, I'm completely dependent on my parents. I can't even feed myself.

H

HumbleSaint

I moved out of my parents house when I was 24. I get along well with my parents but its nice to have my own place. I found a place for real cheap and my parents only live 2 and a half miles away so I go there for supper quite often. It would be nice if I had a maid to clean my house for me but I realized I have to be my own provider and house cleaner.

W

Wug

Yeah Humble. I didn't realize how much my mother must have cleaned up after me until I moved out. I was really naive to how fast dishes pile up.

B

Belgian_Pilot

Its shocking because people here are poor. I can't afford anything, I'm completely dependent on my parents. I can't even feed myself.
I understand what you mean. Things are diffrent here (people are rather rich). The world isn't fair, I know. That's why I'm saving money, and why I stay with my parents for now.

Hope this might make you feel a bit better: although people here are rich, most of them are poorer then you. They do not know God, or they don't allow Him in their lives...

God bless you!

K

kiwi_OT

Im from New Zealand and Im currently at college but in my holidays I live with my Mom. And when I graduate I know I'll probably live with her again until I can get a house sorted to flat in.
As a culture, its pretty common here for people to leave home around the 20 year mark.