Must we repent in order to be forgiven?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
you can and you have, each of us has disobeyed God, you are no exception. You may have a sincere desire not to, but you do.
amen

“But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭1:7-10‬ ‭KJV‬‬

B

Blackpowderduelist

A life of repentance is salvation.

Reborn

Nov 16, 2014
We are told many things about this, but what is the bottom line?

We cannot be saved through obedience to the law.

In Gelasian’s 2: 19 “For through the law I died to the law so that I might live to God.

Romans 6: 2 “How shall we, that dead to sin, live any more therein”.

In Matthew 3;2 we are told that the ministry of Christ centered on repentance. As Matthew spoke of Christ beginning His ministry he said consisted of: Matt:2 “Repent ye; for the kingdom of heaven is in hand”. If we live in a state of repentance, we live by the perfection of Christ, wanting to be sinless like Christ.

Christ told us to be perfect as the Lord is perfect. We know that is impossible except through Christ. Can we accept the sin in our life as OK and still have Christ within?

We are told that if we claim perfection, we lie. Yet all our sins are forgiven through Christ and we can live as if are perfect.

We know that there is no sin except blasphemy that we can’t be forgiven for. We also know we can depend completely on the promises of the Lord, and we are promised forgiveness if we repent and ask.

What is the bottom line from all these?
I’m lost. Is there more? (You covered a lot in this)
What do you feel is the bottom line? (in your opinion?)

Can we all agree that what He expects from us is like a beautiful metropolis called “SimpliCity“
...yet, from time to time we all tend to build a “super-complex“ within it‘s walls?

He is love. With His love and grace comes all of our answers.
I apologize if l missed the answer?

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
A person needs to believe the Gosepl to recieve Jesus and be sealed by the Holy Spirit unto the day of redemption. 1cor 1.21 . Eph 1.11-13 . Eph 4.30 . There is only two types of people . The saved and the lost . All that matters is this . We think we have all the time to warn others. We think we have all the time ,that we will live till a Ripe old age ..Many 'Christians' are on a self improvement program without actually ever having been saved .If you think its not possible to ' follow Jesus , follow his commands, follow his teachings , follow commandments ect and still be lost , then speak to Jehovah witnesses , Mormons, SDA s , Catholics ect and see . They will tell you they are doing things in the Holy Spirit , that they have been baptised, that they know Jesus ect .

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
“And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭9:23‬ ‭KJV‬‬
Finally we can read who Jesus was talking to .

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Well, considering yourself to be of the faith and being of the faith can be two different things sometimes. That’s why we are told to test ourselves and see if we are of the faith.

2 Corinthians 13:5
Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you—unless indeed you fail the test?​

1 Timothy however is talking about people being of the faith and not people who think they are of the faith and aren’t. How do I know this? Because it says that some will fall away from the faith. They aren’t those who think they are...they are those that are of the faith.
“Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith” (vs. 5). “The faith” is more than just salvation. Usually this part of verse 5 is used to urge a person to make sure he is saved. But it is more than that. “The faith” is the full body of Christian doctrine. It is used the same way in Jude 3: “the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.” To “be in the faith” is to be established in what you are supposed to believe as a Christian.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Is this thread about ' Do we have to repent in order to be saved ,or stay saved?

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Do we not still have free will after we believe? God takes that from us to keep us safely with Him? I don’t think so..He didn’t do it with Adam and Eve, the Israelites and He doesn’t do it with us.

Sure not everyone claiming to be a Christian is a true Christian but that’s not 1 Timothy is talking about. It’s talking about people of faith falling away from faith.
Do we have freewill in heaven ? Can we ' walk away ' there ? I believe God saves us prior to heaven , in order to finally be in heaven . Freewill is a weak argument against verses such as Eph 4.30 for example .

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
They have fallen away from the faith. We still have free will to believe or not don’t we? No one can snatch us away...unless we ourselves allow it. It’s on you to either deny or confess Christ.

I think that we are talking about 2 different things that happens in scripture. Those who think they are saved but really aren’t and those who are saved and fall away from the faith for a variety of reasons...turning aside to myths...wanting teachers to go along with what their itchy ears want, doctrines of demons and deceitful spirits.
Do we go back to being 'dead' if we can lose salvation?
Col 1

10And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

11¶In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

12Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

13And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

14Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Does all of this and more change back again ? Is it like an operation that gets reversed ? Where are the scriptures that speak on this? That all the things that actually took place spiritually, to our spirit , Soul ect are reversed somehow ? Does the Holy Spirit unbaptise out of the body of Christ ? Do we become' unbirthed ', unsealed , unjustified, unrighteous, undone ?
Surely there would be verses on this , a parable even ? a hint ? But all we hear is a strange understanding of salvation as if nothing happens. Like the Holy Spirit doesn't do anything and its just a ' commitment ' or joining a programme. Why do some see no difference to the Old testament and the new ? They were not ' Quickened ' ,they were not sealed by the Holy Spirit , they were not regenerated, not redeemed by Jesus blood , they were not' in Christ ' , they didn't have christ ' in them ' , they were not baptised by the Holy Spirit , they did recieve the Holy Spirit the same . Stop using old testament examples to try disprove new testament salvation.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Do we go back to being 'dead' if we can lose salvation?
Col 1

10And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

11¶In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

12Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

13And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

14Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Does all of this and more change back again ? Is it like an operation that gets reversed ? Where are the scriptures that speak on this? That all the things that actually took place spiritually, to our spirit , Soul ect are reversed somehow ? Does the Holy Spirit unbaptise out of the body of Christ ? Do we become' unbirthed ', unsealed , unjustified, unrighteous, undone ?
Surely there would be verses on this , a parable even ? a hint ? But all we hear is a strange understanding of salvation as if nothing happens. Like the Holy Spirit doesn't do anything and its just a ' commitment ' or joining a programme. Why do some see no difference to the Old testament and the new ? They were not ' Quickened ' ,they were not sealed by the Holy Spirit , they were not regenerated, not redeemed by Jesus blood , they were not' in Christ ' , they didn't have christ ' in them ' , they were not baptised by the Holy Spirit , they did recieve the Holy Spirit the same . Stop using old testament examples to try disprove new testament salvation.
Correction . Those in the OT did not recieve the Holy Spirit the same as today.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I’m lost. Is there more? (You covered a lot in this)
What do you feel is the bottom line? (in your opinion?)

Can we all agree that what He expects from us is like a beautiful metropolis called “SimpliCity“
...yet, from time to time we all tend to build a “super-complex“ within it‘s walls?

He is love. With His love and grace comes all of our answers.
I apologize if l missed the answer?
I agree. I think love is the bottom line. Through love of the Lord we want to live in Him. God is love.

1 Corinthians 13 tells us what that means. It is patient, kind, is not boastful or envious, isn't conceited or selfish, doesn't count up wrongs. It doesn't like unrighteousness, rejoices in truth, it bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Living as a repentant person who always prefers righteousness in ourselves and hates sin is good, but the bottom line in love.

Dec 30, 2020
John tells us specific things so we may know we have eternal life = knowing we are saved.

1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God;
that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

John 10:27-28:)
When a person is saved, he is born again. That happens when he deeply repents of his sins, puts his trust in Christ's saving work, and gets filled with the Holy Spirit of God. Salvation is a state of being where the Holy Spirit fills your heart with the same love that is shared by the Father and the Son. When your choices in life are made with that love in your heart, you are obeying God's commandments. You are sealed with the Holy Spirit because that love will never leave you. Saved people know and experience this love for God and people. They put all their eggs in one basket and that is the faith that perseveres.

Dec 30, 2020
We are told many things about this, but what is the bottom line?

We cannot be saved through obedience to the law.

In Gelasian’s 2: 19 “For through the law I died to the law so that I might live to God.

Romans 6: 2 “How shall we, that dead to sin, live any more therein”.

In Matthew 3;2 we are told that the ministry of Christ centered on repentance. As Matthew spoke of Christ beginning His ministry he said consisted of: Matt:2 “Repent ye; for the kingdom of heaven is in hand”. If we live in a state of repentance, we live by the perfection of Christ, wanting to be sinless like Christ.

Christ told us to be perfect as the Lord is perfect. We know that is impossible except through Christ. Can we accept the sin in our life as OK and still have Christ within?

We are told that if we claim perfection, we lie. Yet all our sins are forgiven through Christ and we can live as if are perfect.

We know that there is no sin except blasphemy that we can’t be forgiven for. We also know we can depend completely on the promises of the Lord, and we are promised forgiveness if we repent and ask.

What is the bottom line from all these?

Dec 30, 2020
The bottom line is:
When you are filled with the Holy Spirit, you become a new person because the Spirit of God fills your heart with the same love that is shared by the Father and the Son.

John 15: 10-12 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love, even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in His love.

It is not, if you obey then you will be loved. It is, if you obey then you are abiding in His love.

John 15: 13-14 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. This is my commandment, THAT YE LOVE ONE ANOTHER, AS I HAVE LOVED YOU.

Jesus has made it easy for us. When you do everything with love in your heart, you are obeying His commandments.

John 17: 26 And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it, that the love with which thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

Colossians 3: 12-14 Put on, therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, tender mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, long suffering; Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any; even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. AND ABOVE ALL THESE THINGS PUT ON LOVE, WHICH IS THE BOND OF PERFECTNESS.

Ephesians 1: 4 According as He hath chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him, IN LOVE.

Ephesians 3: 16-19 That He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might by His Spirit in the inner man; That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in LOVE. May be able to comprehend, with all saints, what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height, and to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye may be filled with all the fullness of God.