My boss told to pick out a tablet and get it with company funds.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 29, 2014
I'm getting a tablet through work, so I picked out a Nexus 9 32GB with LTE, and a keyboard. Total price, about $729.

I think it's insane to spend over $200 on a tablet, and after you go over $300, you're nakedly being ripped off (like anyone who buys Apple iPads). Consider, the the cost upgrade to go from 16GB to 32GB is $80, even though the wholesale price of this flash memory is probably $5 difference. And, LTE raises the price by $120, even though this is probably already in the hardware on all models and just needs to be activated, so the manufacturing cost difference is zero.

For $729, I'd much prefer a ultra-light laptop. Work already gave me a very nice laptop (17.x" screen, dual hard drive, secondary video card, blu-ray, i7 processor), but it's heavy and bulky and I hate to carry it (even the AC adaptor reminds me of an actual brick used to build houses).

So, what do I do?

1) If I suggest a light laptop instead of the tablet, they might want back the nice laptop. I want to keep it. And, a tablet would be nice to have, just not at that price.

2) If I get a reasonably priced tablet, no one cares and I've just deprived myself of a nicer tablet, albeit a poor value.

Do I any responsibility to be more prudent than the company cares for me to be?

Joidevivre

Jul 15, 2014
What does your conscience tell you to do?

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
Your prudence should not be so readily bought, especially at the cost of others, jmo.