My cousin announced that he's gonna take his life-?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 22, 2024
I'm very nervous at the mention of suicide since I have a history of trying to take my own life and whatnot, so I never know what to do when I hear someone else wants to try it.

He hasn't told me directly, but I'm positive that his gf recently broke up with him (judging by the changes on his profile/status on Discord) and all of today he's been putting things on his status related to drugs, gore, and 30 mins ago he said he wanted to commit suicide on the 4th.

I've never confronted anyone about it, but I want to tell him that he should go to God instead of going through with it.

We don't have the best relationship (due to major issues), so I don't know how to go about it. I feel bad that I'm letting myself be held back from preaching Jesus's name but I don't feel confident enough. It makes me feel so stupid since it seems simple to just let him know.

That, and what if he says no? I don't want him to ignore it and end up dying because I didn't try hard enough. I sound so horrible right now, I bet.

ty for reading!

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I sound so horrible right now, I bet.
No, you sound like someone who cares about a hurting soul but does not know how to help.

Have you spoken to your aunt or uncle about the plans their child is publicly broadcasting?

Feb 22, 2024
No, you sound like someone who cares about a hurting soul but does not know how to help.

Have you spoken to your aunt or uncle about the plans their child is publicly broadcasting?
Thank you, I feel a bit better about myself.

That's the thing, I'm honestly afraid to speak to my aunt regularly because we also have a complicated relationship. I was SA'd by his father, and I'm not allowed to talk to him (nor reach him even if I wanted).

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Thank you, I feel a bit better about myself.

That's the thing, I'm honestly afraid to speak to my aunt regularly because we also have a complicated relationship. I was SA'd by his father, and I'm not allowed to talk to him (nor reach him even if I wanted).
Well,
Your cousin may be announcing his interest in suicide because of the very same thing you experienced.

And an announcement is a cry for help for the world to care enough to stop him.

And when it goes ignored...the person committing suicide goes through with it because they believe things are their fault and the world would be better off without them.

So....
Call the police, call his school, call his Aunt, call as many people as it takes.

That's what is necessary to save his life.

Feb 22, 2024
Well,
Your cousin may be announcing his interest in suicide because of the very same thing you experienced.

And when it goes ignored...the person committing suicide goes through with it because they believe things are their fault and the world would be better off without them.

So....
Call the police, call his school, call his Aunt, call as many people as it takes.

Yeah...I'll just email my Aunt today.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Yeah...I'll just email my Aunt today.
What if she ignores it....doesn't read it until Saturday if at all? Deletes it before reading it?

Or she dismisses everything you said out of hand?
OR
Thinks she can handle it all by herself without professional assistance? (Another obvious fallacy because if she was doing well this wouldn't be happening at all)

Don't count on people who contributed to the problem situation to immediately reverse it. (They usually make things worse)

Feb 22, 2024
What if she ignores it....doesn't read it until Saturday if at all? Deletes it before reading it?

Or she dismisses everything you said out of hand?
OR
Thinks she can handle it all by herself without professional assistance? (Another obvious fallacy because if she was doing well this wouldn't be happening at all)

Don't count on people who contributed to the problem situation to immediately reverse it. (They usually make things worse)
I understand, but he goes to an online school, my mom turned off my phone service so I can't call anyone, and the only other person I would think of talking to would be his sister but I don't even know where she is

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Well,

So....

It's either a cry for help, or he's really going doing to do it.
Either case requires an intervention.

You need to intervene in whatever way you can.
Talk to his parents, relatives, friends... whoever you can.
You need to step up to the plate and do something proactive, and do it quickly.

If you do everything you can, and nobody listens, then it's not your fault.
But first you need to do whatever you can.

Feb 22, 2024
It's either a cry for help, or he's really going doing to do it.
Either case requires an intervention.

You need to intervene in whatever way you can.
Talk to his parents, relatives, friends... whoever you can.
You need to step up to the plate and do something proactive, and do it quickly.

If you do everything you can, and nobody listens, then it's not your fault.
But first you need to do whatever you can.

We live more than 6 hours away, so I feel that trying to do the most is a bit difficult. I did message my Aunt though and she said she talked to him and will be getting help or something..

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
We live more than 6 hours away, so I feel that trying to do the most is a bit difficult. I did message my Aunt though and she said she talked to him and will be getting help or something..
It sounds like you handled things well, and did the most you could reasonably do.
Well done.
Hopefully things will be alright.

AzureAfire

Apr 16, 2013
I know what it’s like to feel so heartbroken and dead inside, to the point that you’d want to take your own life….the pain is unbelievable, specially because it was caused by people you’d expect to care and be there for you always. And suffering the loss of a loved one can make someone so short-sighted, as if their present despair will never end because their loss could never be replaced, and they feel powerless to do anything about it.

The only reason I was able to stay sane and to carry on was because GOD kept me and showed me HIS love and grace and mercy through that very difficult time in my life. HE reminded me that this life I have is not my own. The life I now live, I live by faith in Christ Jesus. HE is the one who lives in me. My life belongs to HIM. And to remember that HE loves us, even though the world may turn against us….even if our family abandons us….HIS powerful love can conquer all the fear, sadness, loss, pain and despair that we feel, and replaces it with HIS joy, love and peace, and fills us with HIS everlasting hope 🙏🏼💖💫

”I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.“
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭2‬:‭20‬ ‭KJV‬‬

This is what separates us from the rest of the world. GOD is with us and for us, from the moment HE saved us until forever 🙏🏼💖💫

Someone who doesn’t know GOD, and is in a point of grave despair in their lives feel utterly lost, and can’t see beyond their pain and loss. They desperately need someone who listens and cares. They need someone to save them. They need love and support and encouragement to carry on.

By our LORD’s grace, you are able to see what’s going on with your cousin right now. It’s not an accident. Our LORD has a purpose for this, for both of your lives.

I know you’ve shared that your family has a complicated history with that of your cousin’s….but please don’t let that stop you. Don’t focus on that right now. Pray to our LORD for the courage and wisdom and strength to do your part to help save your cousin’s life.

”Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.“
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭4‬:‭16‬ ‭KJV

”For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.“
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭1‬:‭7‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Trust in our LORD to enable you to do all that you can to reach out to your cousin and his family. Pray for our LORD’s intervention in their lives during this sensitive time. Inform everyone that needs to be informed. Every moment and effort counts to help your cousin get the love and support and attention that he needs.

I pray that our LORD will guide you and strengthen you, and grant you HIS wisdom and HIS heart of compassion and love to enable you to do what you need to do 🙏🏼💖💫 and I pray that this current situation in your cousin’s life will pave the way for the saving Gospel of our LORD, and HIS amazing grace and mercy and love to be made known to him, and even his family 🙏🏼💖💫

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
@coffee_jelly

Hi Coffee Jelly,

It sure is a good thing that your cousin has family like you that cares and knows before something possibly tragic happens.
Have you told your Mom about what he said?
You must tell her right away.
I would give her all the details and show her where to find them so she can share it with his mom.
If you haven't sent a link to your aunt, I would do that too: The link to your cousin's page.
Be brave and you may be the one who saves his life by this simple, yet very important step. Only you can do this, so if you need encouragement, please reach out for help.

"who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this?"
Esther 4:14

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
@coffee_jelly

Hi Coffee Jelly,

It sure is a good thing that your cousin has family like you that cares and knows before something possibly tragic happens.
I would give her all the details and show her where to find them so she can share it with his mom.
If you haven't sent a link to your aunt, I would do that too: The link to your cousin's page.
Be brave and you may be the one who saves his life by this simple, yet very important step. Only you can do this, so if you need encouragement, please reach out for help.

"who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this?"
Esther 4:14

PS: On second thought, after reading it again, it might be best to forward his link to your mother and she can pass it forward.
She should know about your life and certainly anything of importance, especially this.
There are some unusual dynamics here, so she should contact his mother right away.
I would not put it off, but do it as soon as you read this.

I am also sorry for what you went through with the other issue.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
I'm very nervous at the mention of suicide since I have a history of trying to take my own life and whatnot, so I never know what to do when I hear someone else wants to try it.

He hasn't told me directly, but I'm positive that his gf recently broke up with him (judging by the changes on his profile/status on Discord) and all of today he's been putting things on his status related to drugs, gore, and 30 mins ago he said he wanted to commit suicide on the 4th.

I've never confronted anyone about it, but I want to tell him that he should go to God instead of going through with it.

We don't have the best relationship (due to major issues), so I don't know how to go about it. I feel bad that I'm letting myself be held back from preaching Jesus's name but I don't feel confident enough. It makes me feel so stupid since it seems simple to just let him know.

That, and what if he says no? I don't want him to ignore it and end up dying because I didn't try hard enough. I sound so horrible right now, I bet.

ty for reading!

Hi!

How's your cousin doing?
Have you heard anything yet?

Prayerfully,
H&H

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I was thinking along the same lines, especially after hearing some of the dynamics and complications
/dysfunction/abuse in the extended family. @coffee_jelly whichever of your parents is the brother or
sister of this cousin's parent is perhaps the one whom you should share with to get involved.

Feb 22, 2024
I was thinking along the same lines, especially after hearing some of the dynamics and complications
/dysfunction/abuse in the extended family. @coffee_jelly whichever of your parents is the brother or
sister of this cousin's parent is perhaps the one whom you should share with to get involved.
My mom isn't doing so good mentally rn so I doubt she'd know what to do + she always lets my Aunt deal with these things