My Current Struggle (from my blog)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

StaceyLynn

I met him in January, at church, and was blown-away by the brilliant light of God that emanated from him. We began dating, and I learned very early on that he was a virgin, waiting for marriage. Granted, we had a physical relationship, the whole "everything but" scenario, that really only serves as a technicality. Two months in, and I bailed out, because he didn't treat me the way I deserved, the way I wanted, it just wasn't...

But he inspired me. We remained friends, and after some pretty intense soul searching, I embraced purity, regardless of what came before, and the promise of perfection in God's plan for sexuality and marriage. I wasn't perfect, and our friendship was insanity because neither one of us was very good at maintaining boundaries. We would spend time together, and have these fantastic intellectual conversations about EVERYTHING, but more often than not, these "friend dates" ended in "friendly friend" sleepovers. We berated ourselves, each other, but just couldn't seem to break the cycle.

And then something broke. I am haunted by that night. It destroyed me. As a personal aside, I never much mourned the loss of my physical virginity. Losing a reclaimed spiritual virginity, on the other hand, is like being tortured endlessly. It feels somewhat like rape (see #11 above), because something that was sacred is gone. It feels like cheating on God, it does things to you emotionally that I would have never imagined.

Completely lost and broken because of that night, I RAN to a spiritual adviser, and poured out my heartache, not just at the things mentioned above, but by my anger and disappointment in him. The story of David and Bathsheba and Psalm 51 took on a personal significance in my life. I repented until I couldn't repent anymore. I cried for hours, I begged God's forgiveness, I was desperate for grace. I was so sorry for my behavior.

But I kept doing it. WE kept doing it. It has been a roller coaster of emotions. At the heart of both parties lies an undeniable desire for holiness and righteousness. We wake up to our sin, agree that it's not going to happen anymore, we fight, we say horrible things to each other, but like two magnets, we wind up in the same place. And sometimes, I find myself giving in to how much I care about him, miss him, and want to spend time with him. I find myself compromising what I know in my heart to be God's truth, for those hours of almost perfection with him.

I say "almost perfection" because of my own feelings towards the subject. I spent hours one evening searching scripture for every single mention of sexual immorality, looking for a way to make things right. I felt very convicted that marriage was the answer, which is laughable considering he won't even date me. I still can't shake the feeling that something is irrevocably GONE that I can't get back. That he can't get back either.

I poured all of this out to him one night in a "goodbye" letter. I opened up every feeling I had, only to end by sharing with him the reasons I could no longer be his friend, let alone anything else. But so many wonderful things about him bring me back to the yearning to have the friendship, if nothing else. It's a cycle. A painful, vicious cycle, whereby we are as undeniable as the law of gravity, followed by the pain of unfulfilled love. And I'm strong, Lord knows I'm a rock. It is only God's strength that allows me to get out of bed every morning with this breaking heart.

It's not supposed to be this way. Every part of me cries out from that truth. But I can't stop. I want to, and I don't want to. I want to run from the hold this particular sin has over me. And yet, every time I try, it's like being sliced open with a red-hot sword. I am miserable because of the situation, but I am miserable without the situation.

It doesn't help that we're equally obsessed with each other. When he is strong, I am weak. When I am strong, he is weak. This might sting the subject of this post, if he reads it, but my disappointment in him continues with each fall. I get so angry with him for not being able to say no. With myself, I expect the failure, because it's been a part of who I am for so long. But I expect so much more from him. I know that's not fair, but I think about biblical manhood, and Godly headship, and I want to hit him. And so I'm angry, because in addition to all the personal feelings I have about the situation, I feel like he lets me down. But conversely, I let him down in the same way. I am supposed to be a woman of God, who is strong enough to say no. But I find myself saying yes.

I beat myself up over that point as well. I remember a phrase on an honor statement that I signed that read "cause others to stumble" and I hate myself for my culpability in causing another's sin. Especially given the fact that he was a virgin before. I just feel like a terrible person, in general.

This is not God's promise. He didn't promise me a half-ass relationship with a man (yeah I said that). God's plan for love, sex, and marriage hinges on the fact that we wait for his perfection. His design is flawless, and I know it's worth doing right. That fact is the reason I embraced purity earlier this year. I chose to wait upon God's will, to wait for a "right" relationship. To know that in giving myself physically to a man, I followed God's plan, and to be fulfilled in that relationship. To wait for the covenant of marriage as a representation of God's perfect love. To not settle for something less because I was lonely, or impatient, or caught up in desire.

I failed.

Now I wonder if I ruined my chance. I am haunted by the thought that this might be the best it ever is. But I also know that is a lie.

So here I am, still trapped in this sin. I know that one day, this story will be part of a testimony that truly speaks of God's healing and redemptive power, but right now, I just feel broken and confused. I'm hurting, and sad, and disappointed, and angry. I keep waiting on God, but God keeps waiting on me to do the right thing. I know my time of temptation in this particular scenario is coming to an end, brought about by the choices of others, beyond my control. The time is coming when his presence will be removed from me, and this physical insanity will no longer be dragging us in. I have been advised and counselled to seek accountability, and it's something that I begged for he and I to do together, but he refuses. I realize that I don't need his assistance to request accountability for myself, but this is where the discussion of soul ties comes in, and healing, and a stronger presence of spiritual accountability.

I have learned that His grace is sufficient, for it is new every day. I have found a deeper love for God than I ever thought possible. I have discovered what a repentant heart feels like. I know what it is to mourn an intangible loss.

But most of all, I understand that chasing after God does not promise perfection, nor does it require it. It does, however, ask me to be honest, and to desire holiness, even when I fall short.

I am chasing after holiness to make this stop, and I pray like crazy, all the time about this. I don't know why I can't get it to work for me on this.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Praying for you and him in Jesus Christ is Lord.

God bless
pickles

shemaiah

Jan 28, 2011
I'll pray for you sister. You can never be perfect alone by your attemps to seek holiness or to draw closer to God, you can be made perfect simply by asking God to have His way in your life every new day. Perfection only requires one action, surrendering your life and letting Him be Lord (Ruler) of your life. Letting only that which He approves be done. Whatever situation you may seem to pass through He will always get you through it because you gave it to Him. God bless

Oct 20, 2011
First I like your writing. This might sound strange but have you ever considered a career as a romance novelist? Anyway... don't beat yourself up so much okay. Look we all go from childhood to adulthood at some point in time, and in one way or another. My guess is perhaps 1% of the population end up doing it in the traditional sense where you fall in love as virgins, get married, then lose your virginity on your wedding night. That doesn't happen anymore unfortunately. Of course everyone goes out looking for this perfect person to fall in love with. And perhaps the odd person is blessed and gets that. The rest end up making due with what they can find in and or out of wedlock. And in the process we all grow up and become adults. The point is you can't look back at the regrets of the past. You just got to learn from the mistakes the best you can and move on and try and do better next time. Also try not to think so much. It's that excessive thinking that often can really play havic on our lives. Just live your best for God and let him do the rest. Also you might fail and fail over and over, but eventually out of what you can't seem to get right God will help make it right for you. He knows your strengths and your limitations and he loves you. It's no sweat off his brow if you fall, but you're only hurting yourself mostly. If you learn to love and respect yourself then you'll gain a new good feeling each day to replace the desires of the past. Anyway I'm rambling a bit here. Dear lord help this person to find a loving relationship that she can enjoy and help her to stop beating herself up so much but to forgive and accept herself. Amen

J

Jordache

I know firsthand how difficult this is. My husband and I were both virgins when we met. I was his first kiss. I had much more experience with him, but I had not gone all the way. We both wanted purity, but our broken prevented us from reaching it completely. After 3 years of struggling God finally gave me the resolve to stand up for both of us again. We tried during those 3 years to stop, but our boundaries were lose at best. But here's what I learned. We are really good at rationalizing our sin, our fall into sin, or accepting shame for how weak or strong we perceive ourselves to be. This is a big reason why we don't experience victory over our sin. We sabotage ourselves. If this is an issue with you, you must not allow yourself to be alone with this man. This is for your protection as well as his. You cannot allow him to sleep over. You cannot allow rationalization to come in. It's disasterous. Do not test your boundaries in a relationship. Build them and enforce them before you get into one. Many of your boundaries should be in place before a guy even crosses your path. Have them in place so that when one does enter your world, you are already comfortable with the boundaries you have set. There's nothing harder than throwing up and holding to a boundary when things are already hot and heavy.
Sexual sin makes you feel like the scum of the earth. But you have to take control over yourself. Seek God to fulfill your lonliness not a man. Seek Him to acnowledge and build you up. Seek His comfort and encouragement. Until you find your fullness in Christ, you will be depending on willpower; and we all know how well that works out.
I pray for God's grace to infiltrate your relationship. I pray that you would have the strength to make decisions that hurt for the better of both of you.

S

shekaniah

Why don't you just get married? Then you won't be sinning. If you both feel the need to be together.
Lord give them wisdom and strength...fill them with all spiritual understanding. In Jesus name Amen

niceguyJ

Feb 5, 2011
I think seeking God first and trying your hardest to put your focus there is the only way to really get past any sin. Of course the temptations will always be there. I hope and pray you continue to seek Him like you are, and you WILL get past this. With God's help we can get through anything. :) He does promise we'll never be tempted with more than we can handle (with His help of course.)

I think it might help if you ask yourself: "Who do I love more? God or this guy?" "Who do I love more? God or this sin?"
Your actions present and future can be the answer to those questions. Just some food for thought there that helps me. Perhaps it will make you think too.

Sometimes we have to cut people or things off that are dragging us away from God. Sure it's hard, but once again back to the above questions.

Last edited:

jandian

Feb 12, 2011
Such an honest testimony......so often we are impatient with brothers and sisters who stray from God's way without understanding to struggle that they may actually be going through.

The presence of God is a powerful thing.... though you have opened that door and it compels you... His presence in your life wont let you be comfortable in anything that is not of Him.

He is an awesome God who is much greater than the pull of any sin. Your deliverance is sure and He is with you now helping you to overcome.
God bless you sis.

S

StaceyLynn

Thank you so much for the beautiful outpouring of encouragement and support. I have tried to post specific replies to each of you a couple of times, but somehow the reply gets deleted. I'm feeling some fiery darts, I suppose, just trying to respond. It's frustrating me, so I'm going to step back, and I'll try to comment to everyone tomorrow.

There are a lot of things said that I've told myself a million times, a few comments that were painfully reflective (but it's a good thing), and a couple things I wanted to clarify.

I can't fight technology, though. :/

W

worldlover

I don't have patience in reading long blogs but whatever you're facing now i believe is part of testing your faith to make your a better christian i believe.
Just keep on doing what you think is right and you'll surely get there.

God bless you!

D

divine26

Such a powerful and honest testimony. I can relate to what you have said in entirety. Many times we end up feeling frustrated at trying and failing and trying and failing. It seems like a cycle where in we get up and have a resolve to surge ahead with no looking back and before we know it we are back in the sheets. The great thing about God is that HE sees the ending and no doubt He has made plans for us to be able to overcome this hurdle. Not in any way stating the decisions we make are right but I find consolation in the fact that though there is a mess in the situation God will yield a message.

God is also using this downfall to stir up the things in us He wants ejected and to plant seeds in us He desires to be grown. God is causing our lives to becomes testimonies for folks who feel as if they are all alone and I believe with all my heart that He is building us up to be stronger and more temperate. The more we fight our issues is the easier it will be to walk away especially since the breaking point is nearer than we see. The Bible is there as our guide so our job is to read and obey.

An advise I will share is RUN. When you feel the temptation will arise-RUN-Bible specifically states that we should 'flee youthful lusts'. Of ourselves we are unable to fight such temptations and so because He has made a way of escape for us-let us use it. May God grant you the strength to fight this good fight of faith and may He reward you for being honest and for desiring to arrive at perfection.

With every blessing...

C

Crossfire

I met him in January, at church, and was blown-away by the brilliant light of God that emanated from him. We began dating, and I learned very early on that he was a virgin, waiting for marriage. Granted, we had a physical relationship, the whole "everything but" scenario, that really only serves as a technicality. Two months in, and I bailed out, because he didn't treat me the way I deserved, the way I wanted, it just wasn't...

But he inspired me. We remained friends, and after some pretty intense soul searching, I embraced purity, regardless of what came before, and the promise of perfection in God's plan for sexuality and marriage. I wasn't perfect, and our friendship was insanity because neither one of us was very good at maintaining boundaries. We would spend time together, and have these fantastic intellectual conversations about EVERYTHING, but more often than not, these "friend dates" ended in "friendly friend" sleepovers. We berated ourselves, each other, but just couldn't seem to break the cycle.

And then something broke. I am haunted by that night. It destroyed me. As a personal aside, I never much mourned the loss of my physical virginity. Losing a reclaimed spiritual virginity, on the other hand, is like being tortured endlessly. It feels somewhat like rape (see #11 above), because something that was sacred is gone. It feels like cheating on God, it does things to you emotionally that I would have never imagined.

Completely lost and broken because of that night, I RAN to a spiritual adviser, and poured out my heartache, not just at the things mentioned above, but by my anger and disappointment in him. The story of David and Bathsheba and Psalm 51 took on a personal significance in my life. I repented until I couldn't repent anymore. I cried for hours, I begged God's forgiveness, I was desperate for grace. I was so sorry for my behavior.

But I kept doing it. WE kept doing it. It has been a roller coaster of emotions. At the heart of both parties lies an undeniable desire for holiness and righteousness. We wake up to our sin, agree that it's not going to happen anymore, we fight, we say horrible things to each other, but like two magnets, we wind up in the same place. And sometimes, I find myself giving in to how much I care about him, miss him, and want to spend time with him. I find myself compromising what I know in my heart to be God's truth, for those hours of almost perfection with him.

I say "almost perfection" because of my own feelings towards the subject. I spent hours one evening searching scripture for every single mention of sexual immorality, looking for a way to make things right. I felt very convicted that marriage was the answer, which is laughable considering he won't even date me. I still can't shake the feeling that something is irrevocably GONE that I can't get back. That he can't get back either.

I poured all of this out to him one night in a "goodbye" letter. I opened up every feeling I had, only to end by sharing with him the reasons I could no longer be his friend, let alone anything else. But so many wonderful things about him bring me back to the yearning to have the friendship, if nothing else. It's a cycle. A painful, vicious cycle, whereby we are as undeniable as the law of gravity, followed by the pain of unfulfilled love. And I'm strong, Lord knows I'm a rock. It is only God's strength that allows me to get out of bed every morning with this breaking heart.

It's not supposed to be this way. Every part of me cries out from that truth. But I can't stop. I want to, and I don't want to. I want to run from the hold this particular sin has over me. And yet, every time I try, it's like being sliced open with a red-hot sword. I am miserable because of the situation, but I am miserable without the situation.

It doesn't help that we're equally obsessed with each other. When he is strong, I am weak. When I am strong, he is weak. This might sting the subject of this post, if he reads it, but my disappointment in him continues with each fall. I get so angry with him for not being able to say no. With myself, I expect the failure, because it's been a part of who I am for so long. But I expect so much more from him. I know that's not fair, but I think about biblical manhood, and Godly headship, and I want to hit him. And so I'm angry, because in addition to all the personal feelings I have about the situation, I feel like he lets me down. But conversely, I let him down in the same way. I am supposed to be a woman of God, who is strong enough to say no. But I find myself saying yes.

I beat myself up over that point as well. I remember a phrase on an honor statement that I signed that read "cause others to stumble" and I hate myself for my culpability in causing another's sin. Especially given the fact that he was a virgin before. I just feel like a terrible person, in general.

This is not God's promise. He didn't promise me a half-ass relationship with a man (yeah I said that). God's plan for love, sex, and marriage hinges on the fact that we wait for his perfection. His design is flawless, and I know it's worth doing right. That fact is the reason I embraced purity earlier this year. I chose to wait upon God's will, to wait for a "right" relationship. To know that in giving myself physically to a man, I followed God's plan, and to be fulfilled in that relationship. To wait for the covenant of marriage as a representation of God's perfect love. To not settle for something less because I was lonely, or impatient, or caught up in desire.

I failed.

Now I wonder if I ruined my chance. I am haunted by the thought that this might be the best it ever is. But I also know that is a lie.

So here I am, still trapped in this sin. I know that one day, this story will be part of a testimony that truly speaks of God's healing and redemptive power, but right now, I just feel broken and confused. I'm hurting, and sad, and disappointed, and angry. I keep waiting on God, but God keeps waiting on me to do the right thing. I know my time of temptation in this particular scenario is coming to an end, brought about by the choices of others, beyond my control. The time is coming when his presence will be removed from me, and this physical insanity will no longer be dragging us in. I have been advised and counselled to seek accountability, and it's something that I begged for he and I to do together, but he refuses. I realize that I don't need his assistance to request accountability for myself, but this is where the discussion of soul ties comes in, and healing, and a stronger presence of spiritual accountability.

I have learned that His grace is sufficient, for it is new every day. I have found a deeper love for God than I ever thought possible. I have discovered what a repentant heart feels like. I know what it is to mourn an intangible loss.

But most of all, I understand that chasing after God does not promise perfection, nor does it require it. It does, however, ask me to be honest, and to desire holiness, even when I fall short.

I am chasing after holiness to make this stop, and I pray like crazy, all the time about this. I don't know why I can't get it to work for me on this.

Please understand that God still loves you regardless of what you've done. He's just standing by waiting to embrace you when you are willing to run to Him whole heartedly. You see, the problem is not so much your sin seeing as God can easily forgive you. The problem is where your heart is at.

The reason why you keep falling into sin is because you have allowed your affections for this guy become greater than your affections for God. Basically your relationship with this guy has become an idol in your life. The only way to truly have victory over this situation is for God to rule and reign in the throne room which is our heart once again. The question is are willing to make the necessary sacrifices to so?

You could always marry this guy which would bring an end to the sin issue however, that still would change the fact that God is no longer your most prized possession. All of your affections would be wrapped up in this relationship and when things get rocky (they always do) you will feel devistated, especially if the relationship were to come to an abrupt end.

If you really want victory over this situation, then you need to stop seeing this guy period and sever all communications with him. At least until your heart is in the right place and you can control yourself. The only way to get your heart in the right place is to turn the entire the entire situation over to God. This will probably be the hardest thing that you will ever do in this life but you must surrender this situation to God. There are going to be times when you are going to feel devistated and times when you are going to be tempted to contact this guy but I assure you that if your turn your attention to God, He will make his presence felt in your life as pour out His grace on you and in time He will win your affections once again, that is if you are willing to make the necessary sacrifices to do so.

In ending, there is no doubt in my mind that God has a good man and Godly marriage waiting for you down the road. You just have to put all of your faith and trust in Him. nEVER COMPROMISE FOR LESS THAN gOD'S BEST FOR YOUR LIFE. :)

Last edited:
C

Crossfire

Please understand that God still loves you regardless of what you've done. He's just standing by waiting to embrace you when you are willing to run to Him whole heartedly. You see, the problem is not so much your sin seeing as God can easily forgive you. The problem is where your heart is at.

The reason why you keep falling into sin is because you have allowed your affections for this guy become greater than your affections for God. Basically your relationship with this guy has become an idol in your life. The only way to truly have victory over this situation is for God to rule and reign in the throne room which is our heart once again. The question is are willing to make the necessary sacrifices to so?

You could always marry this guy which would bring an end to the sin issue however, that still would change the fact that God is no longer your most prized possession. All of your affections would be wrapped up in this relationship and when things get rocky (they always do) you will feel devistated, especially if the relationship were to come to an abrupt end.

If you really want victory over this situation, then you need to stop seeing this guy period and sever all communications with him. At least until your heart is in the right place and you can control yourself. The only way to get your heart in the right place is to turn the entire the entire situation over to God. This will probably be the hardest thing that you will ever do in this life but you must surrender this situation to God. There are going to be times when you are going to feel devistated and times when you are going to be tempted to contact this guy but I assure you that if your turn your attention to God, He will make his presence felt in your life as pour out His grace on you and in time He will win your affections once again, that is if you are willing to make the necessary sacrifices to do so.

In ending, there is no doubt in my mind that God has a good man and Godly marriage waiting for you down the road. You just have to put all of your faith and trust in Him. nEVER COMPROMISE FOR LESS THAN gOD'S BEST FOR YOUR LIFE. :)
Sorry for all the typos. Time ran out before I could correct them all.

C

Crossfire

Huge typo...

You could always marry this guy which would bring an end to the sin issue however, that still would NOT change the fact that God is no longer your most prized possession. All of your affections would be wrapped up in this relationship and when things get rocky (they always do) you will feel devistated, especially if the relationship were to come to an abrupt end.

S

StaceyLynn

Many times we end up feeling frustrated at trying and failing and trying and failing. It seems like a cycle where in we get up and have a resolve to surge ahead with no looking back and before we know it we are back in the sheets. The great thing about God is that HE sees the ending and no doubt He has made plans for us to be able to overcome this hurdle. Not in any way stating the decisions we make are right but I find consolation in the fact that though there is a mess in the situation God will yield a message.
Thank you! So very true. I appreciate that you say what I think without justifying my behavior. It's difficult for me to express that idea without just feeling like I'm rationalizing my own sin.