My error.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 14, 2010
OldOrthodoxChristian, the reason Paul rebuked Peter was because Peter was intimidated by the Ebionites.

Nov 23, 2011
OldOrthodoxChristian, the reason Paul rebuked Peter was because Peter was intimidated by the Ebionites.

True? Sounds like the truth. Please provide us all with more information on the Ebionites and what their doctrine was. Do you know that?

Jan 14, 2010
OOC, Ebionism had two different sects of beliefs.

one had a Christian approach.
the other was more Gnostic in approach.

but first, lets go over what Ebionism is... Ebionism was a Jewish Christian sect in the first century. While they did regard Jesus as the Messiah, they did heavily insist on on the continuation of following the Jewish Law and circumcision. these people rejected Paul because they didn't understand that Christ came to fulfill the Law. Peter was intimidated by these people because they probably still had some influence on Jewish people and Jewish law.

the other side of Ebionism rejected Jesus as Christ all-together. Because of the belief of the inherent evilness of the flesh, two views of Jesus were taught; 1.) he appeared as a flesh figure, but never touched the ground, kinda like a ghost creature, and 2.) the "entity" of Christ descended on him when he was baptized, and left him when he was crucified, giving the rise to the belief that the essence of Christ is in all of us, and that any of us can become Christ... you see that teaching in a lot of new age movements.

Nov 23, 2011
OOC, Ebionism had two different sects of beliefs.

one had a Christian approach.
the other was more Gnostic in approach.

but first, lets go over what Ebionism is... Ebionism was a Jewish Christian sect in the first century. While they did regard Jesus as the Messiah, they did heavily insist on on the continuation of following the Jewish Law and circumcision. these people rejected Paul because they didn't understand that Christ came to fulfill the Law. Peter was intimidated by these people because they probably still had some influence on Jewish people and Jewish law.

the other side of Ebionism rejected Jesus as Christ all-together. Because of the belief of the inherent evilness of the flesh, two views of Jesus were taught; 1.) he appeared as a flesh figure, but never touched the ground, kinda like a ghost creature, and 2.) the "entity" of Christ descended on him when he was baptized, and left him when he was crucified, giving the rise to the belief that the essence of Christ is in all of us, and that any of us can become Christ... you see that teaching in a lot of new age movements.

I don't believe St. Peter was at all influenced by the other side of Ebionism which rejected Jesus as Christ all-together. It was more about Jewish law, which St. Peter, a faithful Jew, wanted to support.

Jan 14, 2010
Peter didn't support Judaism, OOC... and even if he did, Paul rebuked him, and then after rebuking Peter, he rebuked the people in which he was intimidated by. Peter was a supporter of Christ, not the Law. yes, he might of been influenced by the Ebionites, but does that automatically make the epistles of Peter non-canon? you certainly weren't there for the council of Nicea nor the other 150 years that it took to clearly identify what was canon and what was not.

Nov 23, 2011
Peter didn't support Judaism, OOC... and even if he did, Paul rebuked him, and then after rebuking Peter, he rebuked the people in which he was intimidated by. Peter was a supporter of Christ, not the Law. yes, he might of been influenced by the Ebionites, but does that automatically make the epistles of Peter non-canon? you certainly weren't there for the council of Nicea nor the other 150 years that it took to clearly identify what was canon and what was not.
Of course St. Peter was not a false teacher. I made an error in saying that. As I have said before.

Jan 14, 2010
im glad that you have come to that conclusion, brother :)

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
Christianity MAY BE true Judaism. But unfortunately, actual Judaism today is anti-Christian and Talmudic. I think that it's a stretch to say it is a form of Judaism, though. Unless Judaism in the OT included non-Jews. Non-ethnic people adopted into the Covenant Family of Israel. Otherwise, it's a form of discrimination against "non chosen peoples". Today, Arabs (whether Muslim or Christian) suffer at Israeli hands. Of course, Anti-Semitism is sin too.
yeah. a lot of people suffer at a lot of people's hands. muslims fight jews; jews fight muslims; muslims fight muslims; christians fight christians, etc. so that doesn't say a lot. by judaism i mean the religion aspect - not necessarily the ethnic group. christianity sprang from judaism and as far as true christianity is concerned and true judaism is concerned they are one and the same in my book. :)

Nov 23, 2011
My error. Anyone who teaches a false teaching is a false teacher.

St. Peter taught that circumcision was necessary.

But I should not have sinned against a holy man of God and called him a false teacher.

There's more to it than mere logic.

I have made some errors too. I should not be anything but humble. God forgive me for trying to say

things I should not have said. I was kind of speaking against what I thought was an error about saying

false teachers can't repent. I thought that was saying too much, that a person should not presume to know.

God forgive us and save us from false teaching. God forgive me for what I said about St. Peter. Amen.

In Erie PA Scott R. Harrington

I did indeed make A BIG ERROR in stumbling and calling Blessed Saint Peter a "false teacher". It is a big mistake. No matter that I was trying to defend Fred Phelps from the charge that he can't repent. I still believe anyone can repent, and no one is fated by God to die in sin and in error. There is always hope for all people to be saved. Or else 2 Peter 3:9 is not really true. And that's impossible, since it's the Bible, and the Bible is true and cannot lie.
I should have been more circumspect and more cautious and more generous toward Blessed St. Peter. After all, there is no comparison whatsoever between Peter and Fred Phelps. Peter was and is a blessed deified Apostle of Christ Who knew Christ in all of His Divinity, and was a partaker of the divine nature of God/of Christ. Fred Phelps really IS a false teacher, and like all of us, needs to repent. I need to repent. I think I could be considered a false teacher when I believed in a pre tribulation rapture, and taught it to people in my religion class at Mercyhurst College. For many years, I was led astray by Hal Lindsey, another false teacher. And a more sophisticated heterodox think like John Walvoord.
God save us. God forgive me for what I said about St. Peter.