My experience during a debate between three religions, and my opinion

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

eugenius

Jul 17, 2009
I just attended an event called "The Bridge Forum" at Carnegie Mellon University. The event featured a debate and Q/A session with three representatives of different faiths: Hindu, Jewish, and Christian. Two of them were local Pittsburgh people (the Hindu and Jewish), and the third one was the famous apologist Stuart McAllister from RZIM (who I got to meet and shake hands with last night. So cool).

I have been listening to similar debates for a few years now, and it was very interesting to see one in person. I don't like to say that anyone won the debate, its not about winning to me, its about truth. A good speaker/orator can easily win a debate (look at Nazi Germany), but it doesn't make what they are saying true.

This event was about religion/spirituality, and related questions.

First a little background about me so you understand where I'm coming from. My background is Jewish. About 75% of my ancestors are Jewish/Israeli. I'm from Ukraine and during the USSR, my family became very agnostic. We never went to church or synagogue or did anything of the sort. I am the only Christian in my family, and the only person who takes religion seriously at all. It can get lonely sometimes, but I digress.

Naturally, based on my background I was interested in what the Jewish debater had to say. So let me describe my general impression of what the three speakers said:

The Hindu speaker: He spoke a lot about how everything in the universe is connected. Animals, plants, snowflakes, humans, everything. How we should respect nature and each other because we are all connected. He also spoke about his faith being community and culture based, and how many people behave very differently outside the temple from the way they do inside the temple. Meaning, once they exit the temple, they think sin is just fine.

My opinion: There is a lot of truth in what he said. Yes we are all connected as God's creations, and all of God's creations must be respected. Also yes, many people are very different on Sunday afternoon (after church) from the way they are on Sunday morning (during church). If you know what I mean.

The Hindu speaker talked a lot about philosophical ideas, and general social behavior. The number one thing I found missing from his talk is an actual belief that what his faith claims is REAL. He never said that the Hindu gods and goddesses are real. That they actually exist. Basically he seemed to be just fine with the notion that his religion makes its believers better people. That is all religion is supposed to do, according to him. Sharing traditions of the past, and community. Better society.

The Jewish speaker: She said many similar things to the Hindu speaker, but even more secular sounding. She said that the Hebrew faith is all about tradition and community. That is basically all its about. She claimed that you can be a Jew and basically be an atheist. You can do all the things and rituals of the Jewish tradition without believing that God is actually real, and many Jews do that.

My opinion: To me as a Christian of Jewish background, living in an agnostic family this sounded very familiar. The only difference is that my family doesn't even practice Jewish rituals or go to synagogue. It seems like modern Judaism might as well be atheism with fun traditions for the whole family. It makes you and your community better people. Who cares if its real or not. That is the vibe I got.

The Christian speaker: The first thing he talked about is his conversion experience and how he is absolutely convinced that God is real, and that this is of ultimate importance. Stuart McAllister was an atheist, and had a conversion experience similar to Paul on his way to Damascus. This is not a person who believes just anything without a rational and logical basis.

He preached the Gospel and about redemption, resurrection, forgiveness, and a new life. He repeatedly said that God is actually real and he is in control of the universe. This is not some made up story to make you feel better. The whole thing falls apart unless you believe that God exists. He said that Christianity makes us better people, and creates a better society because God is actually there and is actually in control of the lives of believers and non believers. Also of course, if God is real heaven is real, and there is an actual afterlife. Its not just a story to make us feel better while we are alive on earth.

My opinion: I definitely agree with the Christian speaker. What matters to me is truth. Is God real? Is the bible True? I don't care if the story or tradition makes you feel better if its fiction. Many people live in their own little world. Made up world in their head. They do what makes them feel good, and postmodernism says this is just fine. It says everyone has their own subjective truth and lives it out. You make your own rules and laws. Or follow the rules and laws of tradition because it makes you better people. Better people according to your own subjective idea of "better".

I still believe in objective truth. There is an ultimate truth which is above any of us. If we fail to follow that truth, we will pay the consequences. This truth guides my life, and all my decisions. I believe Jesus of Nazareth spoke this truth, and you can find it in the Bible.

Thank you for your time
-Gene

L

lara23

It is pretty sad to see how much people can be satisfied with a lie as long as it feels good or doesn't mess with their comfort...