My Favorite Verses: Acts 18:9-10

  • Thread starter Thread starter thedevilhatesme
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

thedevilhatesme

Guest
Acts 18:9-10 - The Lord Loves Us So (And He Rolls Deep!)

9 Then spake the Lord to Paul in the night by a vision, Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace:

10 For I am with thee, and no man shall set on thee to hurt thee: for I have much people in this city.

[King James Version (KJV)]

Why It's One of My Favorites

Acts 18:9-10 are on my list of favorites because every time I read the verses I realize how much God loves us. (And I chuckle confidently to myself at the fact that My God rolls "deep". He has people.)

These verses stuck with me because of the context and the intimacy of what God said to Paul and why. For me it illustrates the sometimes fearfulness of our human nature, despite the strength of our faith, and the power of our calling. And, it shows God's confidence in us, His concern for our well-being - His love for us.

Jesus could have simply said, "Fear not. Have faith." He did not. He reassured Paul that He was with him, and would keep him from harm. What is even more revealing to me is the fact that God went on to say that He has "much people in this city". God is Almighty, He doesn't need backup. He didn't say it because He needs people to help Him (although He certainly does have an army of followers). He said it to reassure Paul that he'd be okay. He said it to comfort Paul.

Praise God! The little things He does for us and the ways in which He shows His love for us, that He doesn't have to do - that is awe inspiring Grace. We are His creation, made in His image, meant to worship Him. It's not the other way around. We fall short daily, yet, He still loves and protects.

Bit by Bit

1. "Be not afraid..." - Despite Paul's devotion to the Lord, his love, his proclamation of the Divinity of Jesus Christ, and his successes in spreading the Word of God to the Gentiles, Jesus knew that Paul's heart still held a bit of fear and apprehension. The Holy Spirit came, as Comforter, to encourage Paul to fear not.

2. "For I am with thee, and no man shall set on thee to hurt thee..." - God is omnipresent. always with us. He reiterates this truth to Paul, and assures Paul that no man would bring him harm because of His presence.

3. "...for I have much people in this city." - Paul is urged to fear none but the Lord and take comfort in God's presence and the guarantee that no harm would befall him, but God goes even further. Although sincerely faithful in spirit perhaps Paul's human/material side needed a little extra comfort by knowing that both the Holy Spirit and God's people were there to protect him, and God knew it, as He knows all things, and all of us. Like I mentioned earlier, God can use any of us to bring about His will but He doesn't need backup. He is All-Powerful. But again, He didn't say it because He needed to. He did it for Paul.

"Paul, I know your afraid. Don't be. I'm with you. Speak the Truth. Nobody's going to hurt you. And, just so you know, if you're still a bit apprehensive, My children, all who believe in Me, they have your back."

That's how I imagine it felt. Not necessarily how it happened, but how it must have felt. When I think about it I just feel cared for. You know? I don't know. Maybe it's just me. Just my opinion, that's all.

God Bless!
 
great stuff. I Love the personal aspect of the writing . thank you for sharing. God bless you !