my friend has a trouble with cutting

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

PRAIASEmyGOD

Ohkay so i have this friend we met by i was givving people random people hugs and then she gave me a depressing story and i felt bad and we bacame friends, but she tells me she cuts and we have bein friends for a year, i try so hard to help her stop, is there any verses that someone can point out to assist me with this cutting problem that she has?

E

emmacat52

Hello, a few of my friends have gone or are going through this. Just be there to support her, and be there for her so she can talk to you. Cutting is a cry for help. Hope this helps:

"The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delight in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD uphold him with his hand.
Psalm 37:23-24"

Good luck.

C

callthe5o

my good friend was going through this also, but with cutting and smileys(smileys means taking a lighter to skin and burn yourself :( ) but i was there to confort her when she needed it, and i always talked to her when she needed advice. and to this day, she is a really good christian and has not fallen into her temtations so far, (not sure if she still gets temted about it, ? ) well, what i'm trying to say is to confort her for she is, as the person ubove has said, crying for help. is she a christian?

F

forgivenandloved

Ohkay so i have this friend we met by i was givving people random people hugs and then she gave me a depressing story and i felt bad and we bacame friends, but she tells me she cuts and we have bein friends for a year, i try so hard to help her stop, is there any verses that someone can point out to assist me with this cutting problem that she has?
I've been through this.

1. unless she's about to kill herself don't tell her parents or any other adult that might tell her parents it makes the situation worse in most cases
2. ask her why she cuts.
3. talk to a youth leader who you can trust not to tell her parents
4. its an addiction it takes a long time to get over so don't think she'll get ove rit in a few days months or years. it's a long battle.
5. remind her that you love her and that you will always be there for her
6. if she's venting shut up don't try to give advice or say her lifes not that bad
7. pray for her

P

PRAIASEmyGOD

Hey thanks for the post but becasue i had to get off the computer last night i decieded to look for it myself,
for the whole temptation things i found...

1 Corinthians 10:13

13 The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.

2 Timothy 2:22

22 Run from anything that stimulates youthful lusts. Instead, pursue righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace. Enjoy the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts.

James 4:7

7 So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

I mainly used 1 Corinthians 10:13 and then i also told her to draw a cross on her wrist so that everytime she might want to cut she will see the cross and know Jesus has already spread his blood, and for her expressing her emotions i told her just write a letter and give it to me or any1 else she trust and just be faithfull, i also showed her psalms 51...

Psalm 51

1 Have mercy on me, O God,
because of your unfailing love.
Because of your great compassion,
blot out the stain of my sins.
2 Wash me clean from my guilt.
Purify me from my sin.
3 For I recognize my rebellion;
it haunts me day and night.
4 Against you, and you alone, have I sinned;
I have done what is evil in your sight.
You will be proved right in what you say,
and your judgment against me is just.[a]
5 For I was born a sinner—
yes, from the moment my mother conceived me.
6 But you desire honesty from the womb,[b]
teaching me wisdom even there.
7 Purify me from my sins,[c] and I will be clean;
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
8 Oh, give me back my joy again;
you have broken me—
now let me rejoice.
9 Don’t keep looking at my sins.
Remove the stain of my guilt.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God.
Renew a loyal spirit within me.
11 Do not banish me from your presence,
and don’t take your Holy Spirit[d] from me.

12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and make me willing to obey you.
13 Then I will teach your ways to rebels,
and they will return to you.
14 Forgive me for shedding blood, O God who saves;
then I will joyfully sing of your forgiveness.
15 Unseal my lips, O Lord,
that my mouth may praise you.

16 You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one.
You do not want a burnt offering.
17 The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit.
You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.
18 Look with favor on Zion and help her;
rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
19 Then you will be pleased with sacrifices offered in the right spirit—
with burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings.
Then bulls will again be sacrificed on your altar.

and i answered everyone of her questions of why God does this..(being the whole her dog died and alot of other stuff that just about made me cry) and i explained to her the story of Abraham and how whicked the devil is

W

wwjd_kilden

Just be there for her

and don't let her get you down. It is easy to be to affected by people who are deeply depressed. (I'm not saying you should not care for her, but I am saying you need to be strong yourself to be able to help her)
and pray
and get her to pray

C

Cako53

Well is she a christian?

justmeonlyme

Jan 16, 2010
i dont really no any verces for them but i to strugle with self harm and one thing you can do is just be there for her and give he support and dont judge her i was judged by some of my christain mates for doing this so whatever you do done judge her it was a way of coping help her find new ways to cope.

C

callthe5o

Hey thanks for the post but becasue i had to get off the computer last night i decieded to look for it myself,
for the whole temptation things i found...

1 Corinthians 10:13

13 The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.

2 Timothy 2:22

22 Run from anything that stimulates youthful lusts. Instead, pursue righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace. Enjoy the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts.

James 4:7

7 So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

I mainly used 1 Corinthians 10:13 and then i also told her to draw a cross on her wrist so that everytime she might want to cut she will see the cross and know Jesus has already spread his blood, and for her expressing her emotions i told her just write a letter and give it to me or any1 else she trust and just be faithfull, i also showed her psalms 51...

Psalm 51

1 Have mercy on me, O God,
because of your unfailing love.
Because of your great compassion,
blot out the stain of my sins.
2 Wash me clean from my guilt.
Purify me from my sin.
3 For I recognize my rebellion;
it haunts me day and night.
4 Against you, and you alone, have I sinned;
I have done what is evil in your sight.
You will be proved right in what you say,
and your judgment against me is just.[a]
5 For I was born a sinner—
yes, from the moment my mother conceived me.
6 But you desire honesty from the womb,[b]
teaching me wisdom even there.
7 Purify me from my sins,[c] and I will be clean;
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
8 Oh, give me back my joy again;
you have broken me—
now let me rejoice.
9 Don’t keep looking at my sins.
Remove the stain of my guilt.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God.
Renew a loyal spirit within me.
11 Do not banish me from your presence,
and don’t take your Holy Spirit[d] from me.

12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and make me willing to obey you.
13 Then I will teach your ways to rebels,
and they will return to you.
14 Forgive me for shedding blood, O God who saves;
then I will joyfully sing of your forgiveness.
15 Unseal my lips, O Lord,
that my mouth may praise you.

16 You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one.
You do not want a burnt offering.
17 The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit.
You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.
18 Look with favor on Zion and help her;
rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
19 Then you will be pleased with sacrifices offered in the right spirit—
with burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings.
Then bulls will again be sacrificed on your altar.

and i answered everyone of her questions of why God does this..(being the whole her dog died and alot of other stuff that just about made me cry) and i explained to her the story of Abraham and how whicked the devil is
woah, you showed her this? it must have worked, it did for me at least. i feel alot stronger than i used to before i saw this, (when i say stronger i mean able to say no to temptations) and i like what you did with drawing the cross on her wrist, nice.

A

allforchrist10

all u can do is pray bout it and jus be there for her bc my friend used to cut her self to and it was bc of her depressing life story so its a way to show that she is screaming out for help,but jus talk to her and tell her bbout god and what he did for us how he hung on the cross for us show hert the pain that he felt for us and that he wil take her pain of her depressing life away

C

churchgirl14

I've been through this.

1. unless she's about to kill herself don't tell her parents or any other adult that might tell her parents it makes the situation worse in most cases
2. ask her why she cuts.
3. talk to a youth leader who you can trust not to tell her parents
4. its an addiction it takes a long time to get over so don't think she'll get ove rit in a few days months or years. it's a long battle.
5. remind her that you love her and that you will always be there for her
6. if she's venting shut up don't try to give advice or say her lifes not that bad
7. pray for her

I to have been through this and I agree with forgivenandloved. My friends found out and they told my parents and that difinetly made it a lot worse and it just gave me more of a reason to cut... Well thank God that he healed me from this. But, for your friend just stick to her side and continue to comfort her and dont stop incouraging her to do better... And like forgivenandloved said it is going to take time. I will most difenitly pray for you friend=)

C

chesser

You know, I've never been that depressed, therefore I've never understood cutting, now, I have been depressed, but I've never been to the point that the physical pain would make the emotional pain better to the extent of it being worth it to cut. It hurts my wrist if I poke it in the right place even, so cutting, they must be very depressed is the first thing for you to understand. Then, try and make it better. Now depending on how bad they r u may have to tell an adult, but if she's not even close to suicide, the. It's best not to, ask her what's wrong and try and help, all the advice I can give.

O

OliveRose

hey so i to am also a recoverying self-harmer. this is a hard thing to do and i agree do not tell anyone else unless she is going to commit suicide. be there for here try to understand research ane be what ever she needs.
if she needs someone to rant to and them listen be there
if she needs someone to pray than pray
just be what she needs be the person that she knows she can call at weird hours in the morning saying i want to cut and be the one to listen and help her through. Dont be condensending or say its stupid just try to understand as best as you can.

As for bible verses my favourite that helped me a lot is "He heals the broken hearted and binds their wounds" Pslam 147:3

hope this helps feel free to message me if you would like i am more than happy to help

A

aeguz

well i've been in her shoes thats for sure.. but there is one thing that i can tell you and that is to pray for her. Nothing is as powerful as a prayer is because we are talking to God and He is the one who helps us all through our problems.. talk to her DO NOT JUDGE HER (thats a big one) and let her know that she is special to you as a friend, to her family, and most importantly, to God.. message me if you need anything :)