My University life

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

MirageLeaf

I want to discuss University life, share my experiences that I remember and that stand out, and talk about how it was for me.

I've only been there one semester at UMBC, University of Maryland Baltimore County. The school kind of recognizes itself as an Honors University. It's very different from the party school.

They won the national chess tournament once or so. They like to think they're science and tech oriented and tending towards.

I attended a full semester there for freshman year for fall 2007 when I was early 18 in a dorm because I didn't feel like driving to school such a far distance, plus I didn't drive a car. The school is kind of full of a lot of people that lock themselves in their rooms and study a lot more than they socialize or meet in clubs or whatever. I would say a great deal of them study 89% of the time and do other things the 11% like meet up with friends and more so doing it at the dining hall. My average social life was 99.99% non-socializing. UMBC isn't thought of as a party school. I know I did that kind of thing. By the way, UMBC is known to have had a rigorous sex crazed, multiple sex partnered white guy that was a rigorous biochemistry major. He killed his girlfriend.

I studied full-time Calculus I, Computer Science I, and Chemistry I. They weren't easy at all at the time. They were very extremely rigorous and stressful. They were just like AP classes in many ways. Two of them were lecture halls in huge lecture halls with up to 400 people.

I definitely enjoyed my experiences there because they were very new it and I liked the novelty of it. It is was unique. I wanted to do something advanced and it was the beginning of my academic career. I wanted to do my best and keep up good grades. It was part of growing up for me. It was a big school environment compared to community college or high school. It seemed very professional, mature, and adult. The buildings were big, very expensive looking, and grand.

University life was definitely very different compared to a community college at the time.

When I started school, I shared a room with freshmen guys my age. One was Italian, one was white, another was Hispanic, and another was black. They were socializing types and played a lot like the Wii and some girls from the other rooms came over sometimes. I got tired of them because I didn't want distraction from what was more important, my academic studies which I took seriously, plus I didn't really mix well with them in the same room.

I simply left for a private single room where I was all by myself. It was really like a jail cell. I mean, there were insects and the walls were concrete. It was a very old, plain, and small room that was like 1965ish or whenever the school was first built It was actually more expensive to live in this room and I had to go through tedious process meeting with a University official and waiting and moving my junk. I still hear people playing their music or talking out loud. I was alone all the time in my room and I was mostly in the room the whole time I wasn't in class. I got annoyed when the guy on the other side of wall, whom I shared the mediocre bathroom, locked the bathroom door that leads to my side of the room. He did it not once, but multiple times. I also think I heard him having sex once with his girlfriend.

I had some test anxiety, maybe a little too much. The stuff was intimidating. The professors always would throw this stuff out at me and I didn't know anything. They expect so much and gave me independence to do it on my own. They won't sit down with you and walk it through with me. They just give me a test and don't care whether I pass or not. It's all my responsibility. There is not too much real personal relationship.

The professors were probably really nice and realized that I was just a newbie kind of student. I know the math professor gave me a curve. I would have failed normally. It was harder because I had to get up out of my bed and walk to class every single day. It is not very exciting sometimes and I didn't as feel motivated too much. Class was going way too fast in pace and I was struggling to juggle all of them all at once. I felt like it would be better to rest in my bed and maybe study alone in my dorm room.

I used to buy expensive food a lot or spent very excessively and freely. I always had this habit of buying the same thing over and over. I bought filtered water from vending machines, snacks like vending machine candy bars, odwalla bars, acai juice, and fruit smoothies.

I always took back large amounts of oranges from the dining hall for free. I wanted my money's worth and I get hungry. This school was expensive. Sometimes if I didn't eat them too fast, they would rot with fungus.

I used the gym. I ran around the track field a lot at night to get some crazy serious heavy sweat exercise and not to get fat. It was routine. I usually did it after math class discussion. I got a high out of it.

At first, I went to the dining hall with my roommates. I just didn't feel like I fit well with them. Later, after I moved out, I always ate at the dining completely alone. The food was great at the time. Among the my most favorite were salads, lobster, and catfish. They're not really greasy. I enjoyed reading the school newspaper while I ate.
I left for my home some days on the weekends, because I just can't stand it! I'm alone all the time in such a cramped space. I want to be my family and cat. I think I might have wanted to be back in my own familiar house more than family though.

My sister was trying to get me into clubs, which I didn't find useful for academics. I didn't like the way she was trying to force me to do it. I really don't care about unnecessary stuff. I tried to do track and field like I did in high school for three years, but I was too late to sign up. I didn't really have time anyway. She threatened me to do a club, or else she would do something like put me into a mental hospital. Also, relating to the mental hospital, I was seeing a psychiatrist at school. She told me she was going to put me in the hospital if I didn't go.

It got cold at the school during the winter and it snowed heavily. It was very bitterly cold and I didn't wear enough good clothes outside. I definitely remember how I walked in the middle of the night to the computer lab to get some work done that needed linux operating system, which I didn't have at the time. I was frustrated trying to get it on my computer. I wasn't getting any work done, and I didn't feel like walking back and forth, back and forth. I get lazy of that. I was so desperate because the assignment wasn't getting done and deadline was coming. I spent so much time wasting time trying to install linux. Anyway, I walked over all by myself in the dead of night to the lab and there was nobody but me in the entire school walking paths. I got there. I bought some poptarts out of the vending machine. I went to the lab. I worked the entire night staring into a computer screen doing a major programming project that I couldn't completely finish. I think it was project 4. I got frustrated. I felt satisfaction and good when I got progress. It was too hard. I worked on that until day time. I started around 12 or 1 am then got off at 7 am with my sister coming in looking for me.

I decided to look for help to help me. I was desperate. I really honestly didn't know at all they had a help lab for this course. I always tried to do things alone and by myself. They really did give me good, significant help that helped me pass and helped me understand and finish things.

I never completely finished project 4 in that semester, but I did actually finish completely finish it a year later the following summer or so.

I got a D in math, a D in computer science, but failed Chemistry. I never want to ever, EVER want to be in a dorm room again at any University! I don't like the University life enough to repeat it like that. Also, I'm still kind of the type who withdraws from social life at a University, college, academic setting. I keep that stuff in church. I don't make friends over the internet because that would make me look like a loser who doesn't know reality from virtuality. I keep that real stuff at church. I want to discuss University life, share my experiences that I remember and that stand out, and talk about how it was for me.

I've only been there one semester at UMBC, University of Maryland Baltimore County. The school kind of recognizes itself as an Honors University. It's very different from the party school.

They won the national chess tournament once or so. They like to think they're science and tech oriented and tending towards.

I attended a full semester there for freshman year for fall 2007 when I was early 18 in a dorm because I didn't feel like driving to school such a far distance, plus I didn't drive a car. The school is kind of full of a lot of people that lock themselves in their rooms and study a lot more than they socialize or meet in clubs or whatever. I would say a great deal of them study 89% of the time and do other things the 11% like meet up with friends and more so doing it at the dining hall. UMBC isn't thought of as a party school. I know I did that kind of thing. By the way, UMBC is known to have had a rigorous sex crazed, multiple sex partnered white guy that was a rigorous biochemistry major. He killed his girlfriend.

I studied full-time Calculus I, Computer Science I, and Chemistry I. They weren't easy at all at the time. They were very extremely rigorous and stressful. They were just like AP classes in many ways. Two of them were lecture halls in huge lecture halls with up to 400 people.

I definitely enjoyed my experiences there because they were very new it and I liked the novelty of it. It is was unique. I wanted to do something advanced and it was the beginning of my academic career. I wanted to do my best and keep up good grades. It was part of growing up for me. It was a big school environment compared to community college or high school. It seemed very professional, mature, and adult. The buildings were big, very expensive looking, and grand.

University life was definitely very different compared to a community college at the time.

When I started school, I shared a room with freshmen guys my age. One was Italian, one was white, another was Hispanic, and another was black. They were socializing types and played a lot like the Wii and some girls from the other rooms came over sometimes. I got tired of them because I didn't want distraction from what was more important, my academic studies which I took seriously, plus I didn't really mix well with them in the same room.

I simply left for a private single room where I was all by myself. It was really like a jail cell. I mean, there were insects and the walls were concrete. It was not a very old, plain, and small room that was like 1965ish or whenever the school was first built It was actually more expensive to live in this room and I had to go through tedious process meeting with a University official and waiting and moving my junk. I still hear people playing their music or talking out loud. I was alone all the time in my room and I was mostly in the room the whole time I wasn't in class. I got annoyed when the guy on the other side of wall, whom I shared the mediocre bathroom, locked the bathroom door that leads to my side of the room. He did it not once, but multiple times. I also think I heard him having sex once with his girlfriend.

I had some test anxiety, maybe a little too much. The stuff was intimidating. The professors always would throw this stuff out at me and I didn't know anything. They expect so much and gave me independence to do it on my own. They won't sit down with you and walk it through with me. They just give me a test and don't care whether I pass or not. It's all my responsibility. There is not too much real personal relationship.

The professors were probably really nice and realized that I was just a newbie kind of student. I know the math professor gave me a curve. I would have failed normally. It was harder because I had to get up out of my bed and walk to class every single day. It is not very exciting sometimes and I didn't as feel motivated too much. Class was going way too fast in pace and I was struggling to juggle all of them all at once. I felt like it would be better to rest in my bed and maybe study alone in my dorm room.

I used to buy expensive food a lot or spent very excessively and freely. I always had this habit of buying the same thing over and over. I bought filtered water from vending machines, snacks like vending machine candy bars, odwalla bars, acai juice, and fruit smoothies.

I always took back large amounts of oranges from the dining hall for free. I wanted my money's worth and I get hungry. This school was expensive. Sometimes if I didn't eat them too fast, they would rot with fungus.

I used the gym. I ran around the track field a lot at night to get some crazy serious heavy sweat exercise and not to get fat. It was routine. I usually did it after math class discussion. I got a high out of it.

At first, I went to the dining hall with my roommates. I just didn't feel like I fit well with them. Later, after I moved out, I always ate at the dining completely alone. The food was great at the time. Among the my most favorite were salads, lobster, and catfish. They're not really greasy. I enjoyed reading the school newspaper while I ate.
I left for my home some days on the weekends, because I just can't stand it! I'm alone all the time in such a cramped space. I want to be my family and cat. I think I might have wanted to be back in my own familiar house more than family though.

My sister was trying to get me into clubs, which I didn't find useful for academics. I didn't like the way she was trying to force me to do it. I really don't care about unnecessary stuff. I tried to do track and field like I did in high school for three years, but I was too late to sign up. I didn't really have time anyway. She threatened me to do a club, or else she would do something like put me into a mental hospital. Also, relating to the mental hospital, I was seeing a psychiatrist at school. She told me she was going to put me in the hospital if I didn't go.

It got cold at the school during the winter and it snowed heavily. It was very bitterly cold and I didn't wear enough good clothes outside. I definitely remember how I walked in the middle of the night to the computer lab to get some work done that needed linux operating system, which I didn't have at the time. I was frustrated trying to get it on my computer. I wasn't getting any work done, and I didn't feel like walking back and forth, back and forth. I get lazy of that. I was so desperate because the assignment wasn't getting done and deadline was coming. I spent so much time wasting time trying to install linux. Anyway, I walked over all by myself in the dead of night to the lab and there was nobody but me in the entire school walking paths. I got there. I bought some poptarts out of the vending machine. I went to the lab. I worked the entire night staring into a computer screen doing a major programming project that I couldn't completely finish. I think it was project 4. I got frustrated. I felt satisfaction and good when I got progress. It was too hard. I worked on that until day time. I started around 12 or 1 am then got off at 7 am with my sister coming in looking for me.

I decided to look for help to help me. I was desperate. I really honestly didn't know at all they had a help lab for this course. I always tried to do things alone and by myself. They really did give me good, significant help that helped me pass and helped me understand and finish things.

I never completely finished project 4 in that semester, but I did actually finish completely finish it a year later the following summer or so.

I got a D in math, a D in computer science, but failed Chemistry. I never want to ever, EVER want to be in a dorm room again at any University! I don't like the University life enough to repeat it like that. Also, I'm still kind of the type who withdraws from social life at a University, college, academic setting. I keep that stuff in church. I don't make friends over the internet because that would make me look like a loser who doesn't know reality from virtuality. I keep that real stuff at church.

Last edited:
M

MirageLeaf

I tried typing all this at once, and I mistakenly pasted the whole thing over again so it looks twice as long.

L

lil-rush

So, what are you looking for in response to this thread? Are we supposed to comment on your college experience?

R

Ricke

(Just kidding) I think the Novel "War and Peace" was 100 pages shorter then your Testimony! ! WOW!!

N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

[/QUOTE]I always took back large amounts of oranges from the dining hall for free. I wanted my money's worth and I get hungry. This school was expensive. Sometimes if I didn't eat them too fast, they would rot with fungus.

This is hysterical... .. Is that even healthy to eat LARGE amounts of oranges

Jul 8, 2010
This is hysterical... .. Is that even healthy to eat LARGE amounts of oranges
Probably, I take like 4 apples a day from the dining hall to feed my late-night/breakfast cravings

eugenius

Jul 17, 2009
Hmmm interesting. So what I got from your post is you are not very happy. Don't have many friends. Don't have a clear direction in life. May I ask what your plans for the future are? What is your major? What are your hobbies. It sounds like you spend a lot of time studying, you hate it, and you get bad grades.

I know University life is pretty lonely unless you are into drinking yourself to death and having orgies all night, anyone who is even the slightest bit more intelligent than your average college partier ends up having no friends. I feel ya brother. And yea it definitely beats the pants off high school. High school is just hell on earth, at least in college you have the freedom to do what you want, and more importantly not do what you don't want.

I love what you said here,

Yea dude unless you go to a club, do ecstacy, get yourself drunk, go have an orgy with 10 girls and 20 guys you are mentally insane. Welcome to the logic of the 21st century. Its this logic that I fight with my very existence,