natural gas and fracking

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

jaybird88

this isnt really a conspiracy but what are your opinions of fracking and the nat gas boom going on?

i never thought about it till a few years back. the 1st big deal was the water issue. you hear about the tons and tons of water they use at one well. im thinking, what they use goes right back into the ground what the big deal? this is what they want you to think but really they are pumping tons of chemicals in the ground polluting all the water tables. and we really have no idea how long it takes to cycle this garbage out. 100 years if your lucky, maybe 1k years.

another thing that makes no sense, it takes 50 or more sub contractors to bring a well in, even more for a pump station. i dont see how they make money with it costing so much to do it. so who is paying? im guessing gov subsidies.

who uses nat gas? why do we need it. i know few people that use it cause it cost so much.

if you look at an areal shot of the country side where they are working it will make you throw up. they annihilate the country side and thats just the surface, its worse under the ground.

i dont get why we go to so much trouble with this technology when we have tried and proven methods of renewable energy.

J

jaybird88

water desalination
now here is a technology we dont hear about. we have so much barren land and deserts just sitting around doing nothing caause they need water. desalination wont work to irrigate them cause it cost to much. why not research it and make it more cost effective. how hard could it be?

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
I live in an area known only for our Natural Gas...
My father is a Plant Operator at one of the most respected Gas Processing plants in the area.

I have to say, there are TONS of uses for natural gas. Most of it is commercial use, from engines to heating and cooling, producing electricity, and even producing steel and other raw materials...

As far as crude oil goes, natural gas is very simple... The problem we are having in my area, is that legislators made a bill a few years ago making everyone up north capture the natural gas that leaks out of their oil wells...
This flooded the market with product, drove down price, and set my area into a depression for a while. (Right now we are rebounding)

Anyways, natural Gas is very cost effective if you are pumping a stash of it... If you are having to capture it as a by-product it is very costly and that is subsidized by the Govt.

One major problem we have in my area is due to fracking... All the major oil companies came in here: people like BP, Williams, Conoco Philips, Western Refining, Giant, Exon, and many more. Every one of them explained how fracking will not damage our environment and that this type of extraction is VERY safe...

Well, if people here turn on their water faucet, and light a match... My faucet will catch fire. This did not happen till fracking started... Take note: we all live on wells out here.

There are many other shady things that go on as well. But in all, it's not as big of a 'conspiracy' as people believe...
I think lack of knowledge and the way mainstream media portraits the oil industry has changed the public facade of the industry.

[video=youtube;4LBjSXWQRV8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LBjSXWQRV8&ab_channel=GasDrillingAwarenessCoalition[/video]

Last edited:

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
P.s. one really cool side effect of this whole thing... Many of us are putting air tanks into our wells or on the well head and capturing the Gas and heating our homes for free... So that's a thing...

J

jaybird88

the thought that there is so much contamination in the water that its flammable gives me chills. what really bothers me is how big are the water tables underground? if they are fracking 300 miles from me am i safe? and they are fracking everywhere! everyone loves it cause of the jobs, but whats the long term cost? i dont like the idea of pumping toxic synthetic chemicals into any natural Lord made environment. my kids have to grow up in this world, i worry about their future.

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
Actually the toxic chemicals myth is just that... A myth...
They use Water and Sand to fracture with...

But what this is causing, is massive earthquakes: like one in spain that was proven to be from fracking that killed (if memory serves me correctly) 8 people.

B

bowharp

this isnt really a conspiracy but what are your opinions of fracking and the nat gas boom going on?

i never thought about it till a few years back. the 1st big deal was the water issue. you hear about the tons and tons of water they use at one well. im thinking, what they use goes right back into the ground what the big deal? this is what they want you to think but really they are pumping tons of chemicals in the ground polluting all the water tables. and we really have no idea how long it takes to cycle this garbage out. 100 years if your lucky, maybe 1k years.

another thing that makes no sense, it takes 50 or more sub contractors to bring a well in, even more for a pump station. i dont see how they make money with it costing so much to do it. so who is paying? im guessing gov subsidies.

who uses nat gas? why do we need it. i know few people that use it cause it cost so much.

if you look at an areal shot of the country side where they are working it will make you throw up. they annihilate the country side and thats just the surface, its worse under the ground.

i dont get why we go to so much trouble with this technology when we have tried and proven methods of renewable energy.
Yeah, I'm all for renewable energy. However, we sadly use a heck a lot of plastics, rubber, paints, etc.. which all contains some element of hydrocarbon.

J

jaybird88

Actually the toxic chemicals myth is just that... A myth...
They use Water and Sand to fracture with...

But what this is causing, is massive earthquakes: like one in spain that was proven to be from fracking that killed (if memory serves me correctly) 8 people.
so what do they do with all the chemicals? they are drilling everywhere here and a 3td of the contractors are chemical companies. hard to believe none of it goes in the ground. im no expert, just an observation.

J

jaybird88

Yeah, I'm all for renewable energy. However, we sadly use a heck a lot of plastics, rubber, paints, etc.. which all contains some element of hydrocarbon.
if you read into plastics you will never want to eat out of a plastic container again.

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
so what do they do with all the chemicals? they are drilling everywhere here and a 3td of the contractors are chemical companies. hard to believe none of it goes in the ground. im no expert, just an observation.
Can you cite the companies, and any sources saying they are using chemicals?

B

bowharp

One major problem we have in my area is due to fracking... All the major oil companies came in here: people like BP, Williams, Conoco Philips, Western Refining, Giant, Exon, and many more. Every one of them explained how fracking will not damage our environment and that this type of extraction is VERY safe...

O&G companies would just write in their Safety Case document that they have conducted safety & risks "as low as reasonably practicable", ALARP. You know, to protect them for getting sue for not adhering to Legislation & Regulations..

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bowharp

ALARP, favorite acronym for lawyers in Oil and Gas companies.

J

jaybird88

I don't have proof. Like I said I'm just going by what I seen, lots of chem companies