Natural "Shampoo"

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
Hi, it's going well. I've been able to have some really nice visits. Probably be going home in a week or two.

Yes I have read the ingredients of shampoo but I actually don't know what a lot of them are. I have heard that sodium laurel sulfate is really bad.

I'm glad you found your woolite, that's great!
I'm happy you got to visit your family and all is well.

So you are a label reader too? I took a lot of chemistry classes and don't have any idea what many of them are either. 😄
My current shampoo has aloe vera and almost all natural ingredients, but usually less is better. I'll be trying your recipe as soon as I run out. If I come across a good DIY conditioner, I'll post it for you. Your oil treatment sounds like it works. I heard good things about it. My Dad and his brothers and sisters used to use olive oil too. I was thinking about using some conditioner for the wool as some recommend for Mom's new Alpaca clothes.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
@HopeinHim4ever

I was going to share personal miracles with you. If you give me a chance, I'll tell you about my Dad and the blessings our Lord did while I was on the mountain. My Dad had just left this world to go to be with the Lord. I was distraught and had to go to spend time alone with God....... He spoke to me on this mountain in so many ways. That's why it's a long story.

He heard me call out to him for help. He answered with this so many answers to prayer and this song when I arrived back safely. There's a lot more, but it looks like you are gone. 😔

MessengerofTruth

Dec 21, 2022
I have found a new recipe for shampoo.

It is 1/4 castile soap, 1/4 Aloe Vera, 1/2 distilled water.

I added Rosemary essential oil.

Zandar

May 16, 2023
Probably wood and leaf ashes from a fire is the oldest shampoo. Very strong base I think.

karine

Jun 6, 2023
I have oily hair and it was difficult to find shampoo that works for me, so I decided to try DIY recipes.
I like this one:

25 drops lemon essential oil
20 drops rosemary essential oil
1/2 cup castile soap
about 1 cup filtered water

1. Pour soap into a 16 ounce bottle with a squirt or pump-lid.
2. Add in essential oils and fill the bottle the remainder of the way with water.
3. Shake gently before using to mix essential oils into the shampoo. Use as you would a ‘normal’ shampoo.

I store it in the shower.

FredVB

Feb 26, 2022
I'm one who prefers to stay away from a lot of chemicals, especially on my body, so I was glad when a friend told me about this natural hair wash.

•Bring a gallon of water to a boil; remove from heat.
•Add one cup of borax and stir till dissolved.
•Cool and store in gallon jug. You can also add a few drops of rosemary and/or peppermint oil. It stimulates the scalp and of course smells really good!
When you wash your hair, wet your hair, pour some of the solution onto your scalp and work it in thoroughly. Rinse.
For a rinse I use diluted Apple cider vinegar, maybe 1:3 vinegar/water ratio.

I've been using this instead of shampoo and conditioner for nearly a year and am very happy with the results. You can keep small containers of each accessible so you don't have to always handle large jugs. Also I only wash my hair about once every 1 or 2 weeks. It's much better for your hair as frequent washing strips the natural oils, then causes your scalp to produce excess oils. Historically I think women would be more likely to only wash their hair once a month.

Anyway, hope this helps someone like it did me.:)
Thanks for sharing this. I am glad for growing awareness to start avoiding having much of any chemicals in things. Shampoo on the market is certainly such. And there should be awareness to avoid having processed foods. They are not as good for us as whole foods. I found Forks Over Knives, www.forksoverknives.com, which is a way that works doing that.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Thanks for sharing this. I am glad for growing awareness to start avoiding having much of any chemicals in things. Shampoo on the market is certainly such. And there should be awareness to avoid having processed foods. They are not as good for us as whole foods. I found Forks Over Knives, www.forksoverknives.com, which is a way that works doing that.
Yeah FredVB,

They have dozens of chemicals.
Much of what is on the skin absorbs into the blood stream. I also think it's it's safer to go with a home made healthy recipe over corporate toxins.

Are you an Adventist?

FredVB

Feb 26, 2022
Yeah FredVB,

They have dozens of chemicals.
Much of what is on the skin absorbs into the blood stream. I also think it's it's safer to go with a home made healthy recipe over corporate toxins.

Are you an Adventist?
As it happens I am not an Adventist, though my thinking overlaps with things they hold, including healthy ways that I pursue yet further than most among them, as in ways we choose to eat. I have visited some Adventist churches for joining in the service. But it is with having read about this healthy way that can stop cancers, heart attacks and strokes from clogging arteries, high blood pressure, diabetes type two, rheumatoid arthritis, and many more problems, and this was a motivation to me for seeing if I could change to this way. And I do this with meals I really like having and it was not long for me to stop missing what I was not having anymore which was not as healthy, with little tricks I had for that. Anyone can change to this with finding the meals they really like for it, and the site, https://www.forksoverknives.com, should really be looked through for good help with that.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
As it happens I am not an Adventist, though my thinking overlaps with things they hold, including healthy ways that I pursue yet further than most among them, as in ways we choose to eat. I have visited some Adventist churches for joining in the service. But it is with having read about this healthy way that can stop cancers, heart attacks and strokes from clogging arteries, high blood pressure, diabetes type two, rheumatoid arthritis, and many more problems, and this was a motivation to me for seeing if I could change to this way. And I do this with meals I really like having and it was not long for me to stop missing what I was not having anymore which was not as healthy, with little tricks I had for that. Anyone can change to this with finding the meals they really like for it, and the site, https://www.forksoverknives.com, should really be looked through for good help with that.
I was told by one 7th Day Adventist friend to read their book of that title is why I asked.

I'll agree on the healthy eating. I've been doing some heavy lifting without help or the proper equipment. I ate a big salad of my fresh greens, nuts and goose berries to help My sore back. When I got back home from work, I had more to do but that worked by the grace of God.. Surprised to be able to work late and get up early. I remembered the proper equipment today. God's food is better than man's chemistry.

presidente

May 29, 2013
I'm one who prefers to stay away from a lot of chemicals, especially on my body, so I was glad when a friend told me about this natural hair wash.

•Bring a gallon of water to a boil; remove from heat.
•Add one cup of borax and stir till dissolved.
•Cool and store in gallon jug. You can also add a few drops of rosemary and/or peppermint oil. It stimulates the scalp and of course smells really good!
When you wash your hair, wet your hair, pour some of the solution onto your scalp and work it in thoroughly. Rinse.
For a rinse I use diluted Apple cider vinegar, maybe 1:3 vinegar/water ratio.

I've been using this instead of shampoo and conditioner for nearly a year and am very happy with the results. You can keep small containers of each accessible so you don't have to always handle large jugs. Also I only wash my hair about once every 1 or 2 weeks. It's much better for your hair as frequent washing strips the natural oils, then causes your scalp to produce excess oils. Historically I think women would be more likely to only wash their hair once a month.

Anyway, hope this helps someone like it did me.:)
I watched a YouTube video from a guy who said he hadn't used shampoo in five years. He used to get itchy scalp from it, which stopped after he stopped using shampoo. He said that people before the 1930's didn't generally use shampoo. Then the big soap companies advertised and convinced us that our hair was dirty if we didn't. So people washed off the natural oils on their scalps and in their hair. Then the big soap companies started selling conditioner-- an artificial replacement for the natural oils they talked us into washing away. They make even more money. Is the animal protein gunk people put in their hair for conditioner any dirtier than the natural oils?

He said he hadn't washed his hair in years. It didn't look like that. My guess is he washed it with water. He had normal-looking hair, I thought.

I suppose one could make a similar case for soap, also. Maybe scrubbing with water is enough. But I want people to wash their hands, and if I don't smell them, I don't care if they use soap or shampoo.

FredVB

Feb 26, 2022
I was told by one 7th Day Adventist friend to read their book of that title is why I asked.

I'll agree on the healthy eating. I've been doing some heavy lifting without help or the proper equipment. I ate a big salad of my fresh greens, nuts and goose berries to help My sore back. When I got back home from work, I had more to do but that worked by the grace of God.. Surprised to be able to work late and get up early. I remembered the proper equipment today. God's food is better than man's chemistry.
God's food is better for us than man's chemistry... indeed! There is understanding in things made by any men, but not all things are seen with that, and none of that understanding is equal to God's understanding. And what God said to start with was in the perfection that comes from God. "Behold, I have given you every herb yielding seed, which is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree, which bears fruit yielding seed. It will be your food. To every animal of the earth, and to every bird of the sky, and to everything that creeps on the earth, in which there is life, I have given every green herb for food." Genesis 1:29-30. And God saw this being very good. That means perfect. Where else does God call anything else very good? Nowhere else.

Forks Over Knives, the documentary movie, has doctors behind it. The Forks Over Knives Plan, the book, which doctors among those involved in the movie being made saw needed and afterward wrote, is what I found first. I do not know the doctors were 7th Day Adventist, nothing is said about faith in that or in of anything indicating Christian faith, they wrote professionally from their position as doctors, and it is still very helpful. I was Christian already a lot longer, and I had given up meat before this seeing it could be healthier without still having meat, as I had read about, and more recently given up other products from animals with learning about big and serious issues. But finding this book and seeing then the documentary movie was most revolutionary in my life, where I believe I changed most, and age in a much better way after that. I do try being more natural, as in what was modeled for us from God's design. There is overlap in that with approaches of the 7th Day Adventist church, which I notice. Still I don't involve myself with them for real reasons.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
God's food is better for us than man's chemistry... indeed! There is understanding in things made by any men, but not all things are seen with that, and none of that understanding is equal to God's understanding. And what God said to start with was in the perfection that comes from God. "Behold, I have given you every herb yielding seed, which is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree, which bears fruit yielding seed. It will be your food. To every animal of the earth, and to every bird of the sky, and to everything that creeps on the earth, in which there is life, I have given every green herb for food." Genesis 1:29-30. And God saw this being very good. That means perfect. Where else does God call anything else very good? Nowhere else.

Forks Over Knives, the documentary movie, has doctors behind it. The Forks Over Knives Plan, the book, which doctors among those involved in the movie being made saw needed and afterward wrote, is what I found first. I do not know the doctors were 7th Day Adventist, nothing is said about faith in that or in of anything indicating Christian faith, they wrote professionally from their position as doctors, and it is still very helpful. I was Christian already a lot longer, and I had given up meat before this seeing it could be healthier without still having meat, as I had read about, and more recently given up other products from animals with learning about big and serious issues. But finding this book and seeing then the documentary movie was most revolutionary in my life, where I believe I changed most, and age in a much better way after that. I do try being more natural, as in what was modeled for us from God's design. There is overlap in that with approaches of the 7th Day Adventist church, which I notice. Still I don't involve myself with them for real reasons.

I noticed that people sometimes have an easier time detoxing, giving the liver a break when they go on certain healthy vegetarian periods. Observation and reports show me that it's more of a cycle where they benefit most. Everyone is different though. I can give pro/ cons. I wrote a research paper on the subject as a veterinary science major. I'm reminded of that as I'm going through my old notes, papers and projects that I was saving for a time when I might get married and have children. It's going into the incinerator out back as I read them again.

Some get a boost in energy, while others it's long term effects are harmful.
I've seen friends who have been vegetarian long term. One was obese and had accelerated aging, the other very slender and chronic fatigue. He ate a lot of cooked starches, while the other a variety and very little processed. Another had stopped eating meat before we dated and had a list of serious health issues at 19. She was vegan and ate a lot of raw fruits. All this shows me is that it's not a simple vegetarian vs omnivore issue. There are too many variables and people are complex. What might be good now, might need to be modified later. Some meats are much healthier than others as is the case for fruits, veggies and starches. Example, I fortunately became wheat and gluten sensitive. Even though I have always been athletic, I couldn't lose the ab fat until I got rid of that carb.

The same Person Who said His creation was very good didn't just refer to the plants did He? I think He later commanded the priesthood to eat the sacrifices and later partook of the Passover lambs, shared fish and suppers with a variety of people. He was still perfect in everything He did, including eating.

I won't try to talk you into eating meat.
Whatever works for you is great. I hope you continue to thrive.

Have a great day!

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
PS:. Forks over knives was written by a follower of the prophetess Ellen G. White whose writings are considered inspired by God by her religion. The author made his circuit, promoting that book throughout that denomination. Many 7th Day Adventists become vegetarian for that reason. I believe you, but thought you'd like to know the religious roots of the documentary and book upon which it was based.

FredVB

Feb 26, 2022
I noticed that people sometimes have an easier time detoxing, giving the liver a break when they go on certain healthy vegetarian periods. Observation and reports show me that it's more of a cycle where they benefit most. Everyone is different though. I can give pro/ cons. I wrote a research paper on the subject as a veterinary science major. I'm reminded of that as I'm going through my old notes, papers and projects that I was saving for a time when I might get married and have children. It's going into the incinerator out back as I read them again.

Some get a boost in energy, while others it's long term effects are harmful.
I've seen friends who have been vegetarian long term. One was obese and had accelerated aging, the other very slender and chronic fatigue. He ate a lot of cooked starches, while the other a variety and very little processed. Another had stopped eating meat before we dated and had a list of serious health issues at 19. She was vegan and ate a lot of raw fruits. All this shows me is that it's not a simple vegetarian vs omnivore issue. There are too many variables and people are complex. What might be good now, might need to be modified later. Some meats are much healthier than others as is the case for fruits, veggies and starches. Example, I fortunately became wheat and gluten sensitive. Even though I have always been athletic, I couldn't lose the ab fat until I got rid of that carb.

The same Person Who said His creation was very good didn't just refer to the plants did He? I think He later commanded the priesthood to eat the sacrifices and later partook of the Passover lambs, shared fish and suppers with a variety of people. He was still perfect in everything He did, including eating.

I won't try to talk you into eating meat.
Whatever works for you is great. I hope you continue to thrive.
I came to having whole food from plants and was generally avoiding processed foods, since I found this Forks Over Knives way over seven years ago now. I would say from my experience it is working and I probably am in better shape than I would have been, though I have issues. There are different ways people might avoid meat but this way really has benefits and avoids many certain health issues which are common. And I can go on to give many reasons for why to choose this way, and doubt there is any such good reason to not do so, but I do not say things to get you to do something either, while I can share the information. I had meat before. I know completely what I do not get anymore, my memory is not gone. But, I got over it. It is like remembering what alcoholic drinks are all like, completely, and not not having them anymore when getting over them. It is better when past the addictions that were not as good.

The same God who gave some permission, not exactly what almost all understand it was, without having any blood, gave such to those of the fall whose imaginations of the heart were desperately wicked and selfish, as God had just stated. Love which is godly casts out fear, but in this cursed circumstance fear and dread of humans fell on the animal creatures given into man's hand, just as Job was given into Satan's hand, the same God told us to start with, before anything, "See, I have given you every herb that yields seed that is on the face of the earth, and every tree with fruit that yields seed, to you it will be for food." In all the whole Bible this was the only time God saw it was all very good. Nothing else was called very good.

God did not make a mistake that God had to change. God didn't change and doesn't ever change.

You, any who read these posts, certainly can make all your own choices. But information can be shared for how good this way is, and all this was just a little for that, so I don't go on and on.

PS:. Forks over knives was written by a follower of the prophetess Ellen G. White whose writings are considered inspired by God by her religion. The author made his circuit, promoting that book throughout that denomination. Many 7th Day Adventists become vegetarian for that reason. I believe you, but thought you'd like to know the religious roots of the documentary and book upon which it was based.
I did not know that, it does not surprise me, yet. Nothing in the book that I was reading from or the documentary movie I looked at later had any 7th Day Adventist teaching or support of anything from them mentioned, there was nothing in those to connect them to that church. They were entirely about studies, evidences, and results. It is conclusive this is the healthy way, and cancers, heart attacks and strokes, high blood pressure, diabetes type 2, rheumatoid arthritis, and many other things can be prevented, and in some cases even reversed, with it. I commend looking at the book, and the website itself makes the documentary movie available now free, it really should be seen!

https://www.forksoverknives.com/the-film/

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
I came to having whole food from plants and was generally avoiding processed foods, since I found this Forks Over Knives way over seven years ago now. I would say from my experience it is working and I probably am in better shape than I would have been, though I have issues. There are different ways people might avoid meat but this way really has benefits and avoids many certain health issues which are common. And I can go on to give many reasons for why to choose this way, and doubt there is any such good reason to not do so, but I do not say things to get you to do something either, while I can share the information. I had meat before. I know completely what I do not get anymore, my memory is not gone. But, I got over it. It is like remembering what alcoholic drinks are all like, completely, and not not having them anymore when getting over them. It is better when past the addictions that were not as good.

The same God who gave some permission, not exactly what almost all understand it was, without having any blood, gave such to those of the fall whose imaginations of the heart were desperately wicked and selfish, as God had just stated. Love which is godly casts out fear, but in this cursed circumstance fear and dread of humans fell on the animal creatures given into man's hand, just as Job was given into Satan's hand, the same God told us to start with, before anything, "See, I have given you every herb that yields seed that is on the face of the earth, and every tree with fruit that yields seed, to you it will be for food." In all the whole Bible this was the only time God saw it was all very good. Nothing else was called very good.

God did not make a mistake that God had to change. God didn't change and doesn't ever change.

You, any who read these posts, certainly can make all your own choices. But information can be shared for how good this way is, and all this was just a little for that, so I don't go on and on.

I did not know that, it does not surprise me, yet. Nothing in the book that I was reading from or the documentary movie I looked at later had any 7th Day Adventist teaching or support of anything from them mentioned, there was nothing in those to connect them to that church. They were entirely about studies, evidences, and results. It is conclusive this is the healthy way, and cancers, heart attacks and strokes, high blood pressure, diabetes type 2, rheumatoid arthritis, and many other things can be prevented, and in some cases even reversed, with it. I commend looking at the book, and the website itself makes the documentary movie available now free, it really should be seen!

https://www.forksoverknives.com/the-film/
I don't understand your comparison of God's good creation and that of Satan tempting Job.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
[QUOTE="FredVB, post: 5129276, I came to having whole food from plants and was generally avoiding processed foods, since I found this Forks Over Knives way over seven years ago now. I would say from my experience it is working and I probably am in better shape than I would have been, though I have issues. There are different ways people might avoid meat but this way really has benefits and avoids many certain health issues which are common. And I can go on to give many reasons for why to choose this way, and doubt there is any such good reason to not do so, but I do not say things to get you to do something either, while I can share the information. I had meat before. I know completely what I do not get anymore, my memory is not gone. But, I got over it. It is like remembering what alcoholic drinks are all like, completely, and not not having them anymore when getting over them. It is better when past the addictions that were not as good.

God's creation had no curse of sin upon it until the fall. It was very good until Adam and Eve sinned.
God slayed the first animal and accepted Able's sacrifice.
To Moses' people, God commanded that animals be consumed as food by His priests . What do you do about that?

“Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.”
Hebrews 13:8
God does not change.

However, He often changes His mind.
He was the first to repent. Genesis 6.
Repent does Not mean to turn from sins as false prophets today teach in order to deceive others into accepting a works based "salvation," contrary to God's will.
God never sinned.
He changed His mind.

Jesus is certainly God and He ate fish. He ate lamb. He commented on eating and never stated that it was sinful or outside His perfect will to eat meat.

After God established His laws concerning unclean meats, He told Peter to kill and eat previously unclean animals.

“Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not?”
Jonah 3:9

The thing that He wants us to change our minds about is from the works based salvation of false religion and to that of His way . John 3

He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Bible Way to Heaven

My friend started this thread on the subject of Home made natural shampoo.
I think it would have been best to post the Adventist video on veganism in a separate thread.

FredVB

Feb 26, 2022
My friend started this thread on the subject of Home made natural shampoo.
I think it would have been best to post the Adventist video on veganism in a separate thread.
I am aware and you would surely recognize I at first was affirming the natural approaches that include that, and mentioned along with that the healthy way there is with eating in the natural way that was in the original design from God for us. Posts afterward were responses to questions about it that seemed friendly then. I did not have an agenda to change a thread topic, so it is not that I should be told to only post a linked video on another thread, it was just for what came up. I am not Adventist, and nothing on it is shown at all to be Adventist, it seems dismissive. I think it better to not continue any discussion as it looks like it might not go as friendly though it was to be supportive to the choice of this thread topic, which is for natural ways good for us without processed stuff.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
I am aware and you would surely recognize I at first was affirming the natural approaches that include that, and mentioned along with that the healthy way there is with eating in the natural way that was in the original design from God for us. Posts afterward were responses to questions about it that seemed friendly then. I did not have an agenda to change a thread topic, so it is not that I should be told to only post a linked video on another thread, it was just for what came up. I am not Adventist, and nothing on it is shown at all to be Adventist, it seems dismissive. I think it better to not continue any discussion as it looks like it might not go as friendly though it was to be supportive to the choice of this thread topic, which is for natural ways good for us without processed stuff.
No worries.
The whole forum is about Natural Health.
I just don't want us to hijack the thread.
This one is on homemade hair products.
I think there are other threads on vegetarianism too.

FredVB

Feb 26, 2022
Understood. I still won't be going to a vegetarianism thread.