Natural topical pain relief

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Anni

Sep 27, 2023
Anyone know how to ease osteoarthritis shoulder pain, like a poultice or something.
Maybe a mixture to rub in?

selahsays

May 31, 2023
Anyone know how to ease osteoarthritis shoulder pain, like a poultice or something.
Maybe a mixture to rub in?
Shoulder pain is no fun at all. Anni, is this for you? Have x-rays been taken that actually diagnose the osteoarthritis?

Anni

Sep 27, 2023
Yes it's for me & I've had a couple of x-rays over the last year that confirmed OA.
I've seen a physio, too last year. He gave me exercises to do which helped a bit but the pain is excruciating now.
My sleep pattern is terrible.
My doc says an MRI scan is next, that might be a while - time of year, waiting lists etc.
I don't want to take prescription painkillers as they're so addictive. I take paracetamol at night which numbs it for a couple of hours.
That's why I'm looking for a natural option. Today I've bought some of those heat pads that work for 24 hours so I'm going to give one of those a try tonight.

selahsays

May 31, 2023
Yes it's for me & I've had a couple of x-rays over the last year that confirmed OA.
I've seen a physio, too last year. He gave me exercises to do which helped a bit but the pain is excruciating now.
My sleep pattern is terrible.
My doc says an MRI scan is next, that might be a while - time of year, waiting lists etc.
I don't want to take prescription painkillers as they're so addictive. I take paracetamol at night which numbs it for a couple of hours.
That's why I'm looking for a natural option. Today I've bought some of those heat pads that work for 24 hours so I'm going to give one of those a try tonight.
I was going to suggest strengthening the muscles around the shoulder, but I don’t know if that’s advisable with osteoarthritis. I struggle with shoulder pain at times, too but am still able to do my workouts pretty good. I haven’t had it x-rayed yet. I hope someone here can advise you and help you. It’s a pain, no doubt. Praying for you.

selahsays

May 31, 2023
Have you tried a cortisone injection? IMG_6217.gif

selahsays

May 31, 2023
Massage therapy? I had a friend who had great success with that.

Anni

Sep 27, 2023
Not yet, I'd need a general anaesthetic for that... oh, the thought of it :eek:
As a last resort, yes, but they don't last long (my sister-in-law had one).
Besides, OA is starting in my lower back, thumb & a couple of fingers & back of my neck.
I've had one flare up in my left thumb and have a small bump there now. I would never have thought such pain could come from such a small patch.
The future isn't a nice prospect but the Lord will give me the strength to cope.
In the meantime I'm trying to be a mobile & functional as possible.
It's quite funny learning to use my left hand for doing things like cooking & cleaning.
I suppose one blessing is that it's been fun shopping for gadgets to make life easier lol

Yes I've had massage, so relaxing. I bought a massager that does like shiatsu and has an optional heat treatment.
It works really well but is very heavy so I only use it a couple times a week. The effects last for an hour or so. Maybe a smaller one would be better.
Professional massage is really expensive, not sure if I could get it on the NHS.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
I believe that the topical relief should include getting to the solution of what the root of the pain is from.
I have yet to hear a rheumatologist offer a low risk solution.

I can empathize with you and the pain you are going through. I asked if you had PM privileges but the question was deleted.
There are certain forum members who are not very friendly to any information shared that does not include dangerous drugs and amputations. Since I'm not for those options, I simply am too busy to take time debating those drama queens. I will speak freely if you have PM.

Anni

Sep 27, 2023
Your question would've been deleted for a reason, the mods act in wisdom.
No pm.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
Not yet, I'd need a general anaesthetic for that... oh, the thought of it :eek:
As a last resort, yes, but they don't last long (my sister-in-law had one).
Besides, OA is starting in my lower back, thumb & a couple of fingers & back of my neck.
I've had one flare up in my left thumb and have a small bump there now. I would never have thought such pain could come from such a small patch.
The future isn't a nice prospect but the Lord will give me the strength to cope.
In the meantime I'm trying to be a mobile & functional as possible.
It's quite funny learning to use my left hand for doing things like cooking & cleaning.
I suppose one blessing is that it's been fun shopping for gadgets to make life easier lol

Yes I've had massage, so relaxing. I bought a massager that does like shiatsu and has an optional heat treatment.
It works really well but is very heavy so I only use it a couple times a week. The effects last for an hour or so. Maybe a smaller one would be better.
Professional massage is really expensive, not sure if I could get it on the NHS.
My GDIL is a LMT. She has several patients who swear by massage therapy. She uses a variety of oils. She said that regular treatment is required.

OkieLady

Apr 20, 2024
Do you take magnesium and collagen? They don't work like pain relievers, but my pain issues are better when I take them regularly.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
Do you take magnesium and collagen? They don't work like pain relievers, but my pain issues are better when I take them regularly.
Magnesium is involved with many metabolic processes including relaxation. Muscles can relax when there are proper amounts and ratio of Mg:Ca.

Collagen is throughout the connective tissues. Whether you experience joint or muscle pain, our bodies require plenty of collagen as a building material for replenishment. Glad you are sharing this testimony. The chemicals people use to relieve pain only interfere with pain receptors and actually can and do lead to break down of connective tissue.

Isn't it amazing how God's ingredients are superior to big pharmas?

NightTwister

Jul 5, 2023
Colorado, USA
I've had two stem cell treatments on my shoulder. I've regained almost full range-of-motion, and the pain is mostly gone.