Need advice/ideas please?!?!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

Terralynn121

So I am taking over the youth group at my church because the current leaders are about to have a baby and obviously need the time off!so I started observing them about two weeks ago! The kids in this youth groups they are great dont get me wrong but they are the most apathetic group of kids i have seen they are not excited about anything. And i was hoping that maybe i could get some suggestions or ideas and advice is always welcomed from all of you my CC family!!! we are getting stuff ready to go to aquire the fire and some are excited but others are like yea yea thats cool??? i am so excited to go and hope God works through me and the other leaders..but Suggestions, advice, ideas..would be greatly appreciated..Thank you!!!!!

B

barukhmalachi

Try the rice project to show power of words. Put rice half full in two jars with a little water and close the lid. Have to kids write negative comments and put under one jar. Things like I hate you rice or your stupid rice. Under the other write good words like I love you rice or you are truly blessed rice. Put them close to each other so they are under same lighting, same conditions. Have them speak outloud what they wrote to the rice every class. The cursed rice will mold and look a lot worse than blessed rice. With this project teach the power of ife and death are in the tongue. How words they say to others affect them. Also faith and the where jesus cursed the fig tree and it withered. It will involve and teach them.

T

Terralynn121

i like that a lot thank you so much!!!

Feb 9, 2012
Hiya, I'm currently doing teacher training to become a religious studies teacher so I know what it's like to work with demotivated kids! One thing that I found that worked really well in a few of my lessons which I thought might be transferable for a youth group and it is linked to the power of words so could be linked to Barukhmalachi's idea. If you can get a bank of magazines or old newspapers (maybe ask for donations at church) and some big sheets of paper, you could split the kids up into groups and give them a title each like 'words which describe the love of God' or 'words that describe Christian actions' etc (or whatever point you want to get at) and let them spell it out and stick it on the paper from the letters they cut up from the newspapers. I was really surprised with what they came up with, words I would never have thought of, and they had to explain the words in a presentation to the rest of their class. It's just an idea and I know I didn't do this with a youth group but thought it might be of use to you - the kids all loved it and wanted to be part of it and I ended up with some fantastic display posters too! Good luck and God bless.

mystdancer50

Feb 26, 2012
Only a real, genuine, powerful encounter with Jesus Christ can remove the apathetic attitude and mindset of all of us. This attitude is not just teens, it's a large portion of Christians. For me, when I'm excited about what God is doing and I let Holy Spirit have free reign, then I notice that they respond. No program will bring fire to the soul, only a relationship with Jesus Christ. My advice: stay close to Jesus, walk with Him daily, know Him, be in love with Him, put Him first (which I've no doubt you're doing already) and then introduce the teens to Him, who He really is, because He is absolutely amazing! Rules and programs and such never brought me anything but guilt. Being in love with Jesus broke the chains of bondage around my soul and truly set me free. :)

Last edited:
K

Kyouken

What got me excited about having a personal relationship with God was finding out exactly how much God loves me. I dunno if that will work for everyone, but it was very eye-opening for me! Perhaps you could find a way to show the kids how much God loves them?

J

Jullianna

Let God's love and Word shine through you. Programs work well at first, but soon fizzle out. The power of God never does. Many kids don't get much love and attention at home. They are starving for it.

One thing I've found that helps is the setting. Is it a fun, comfortable space? Kids love making it that way if it isn't. Play awesome praise music while you work together.

Ask the kids for project suggestions. Needs THEY see in the community and how they can reach out together as a group to show Jesus.

Ask THEM in what ways the family of God is letting them down and ask how best to change that. You might be surprised at their suggestions. :)

Feb 18, 2012
Christian concerts are a great way to pump up kids for God.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Read straight from the Bible, and ask if anyone would like an explanation of anything you read.

Have them take turns in reading out etc.... You can only offer the truth, you don't need to turn into a entertainer, they have enough of that in life as it is...

E

EcarG

Music always works with youth, having a one on one relationship with Jesus and learning how to worship through song and dance is something they can have for a lifetime. Also teaching them how to view themselves, how God feels about us. Most children are in the throws of adolence the awkward stage of "who am I" and being tempted by pretty much everything in life! Lol you have a much bigger role to play for these kids than u prolly expected. It can also be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life. Ask for God to show you how to reach His children, I am positive He will guide you. :) Good Luck and God Bless

S

shekaniah

Our youth loves to play pictionary, usiing words or characters from the Bible.
Or fill in the blank... write verse on the board with missing words and have them fill in the blanks.
Charades...acting out stories from scripture.
Best wishes and have fun, I'll pray for you!

T

Terralynn121

Thank you all so much!!! I love the encouragement and love you are sending my way. the guy i do youth with and myself we are so pumped to continue our journey with the kids and keeping us in your prayers would be appreciated!! Thank you again!! Love you all!

J

Jordache

Check out cardboard testimonies...and pray for the power of God to fall and inspire. The most boring leader can still lead a great group through anointing. PRAY because you can do nothing apart from God.