Need help. Not sure if this is the right area to post my thread.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

TUss

Hello everyone,
My name is Tim. I am 22 and I live in Tennessee.

I've been trying to find ways to better my life and strengthen my relationship with the Lord.
But, as some "Die-Hard Christian" types would describe me, I'm not a Christian. Because I do not go to church every sunday.
I would love to, but I have a fear of unfamiliar places.

I would really love to connect with someone that could help me possibly overcome that fear?
Or someone that could help me with ways to strengthen my relationship with God.

Thanks!
:)

J

Jordache

Hmmm... Tim. I do feel for you. Fear is a difficult thing, but fear is a wall you can only overcome by climbing it. You have to face it. My suggestion: find a friend that will go to church with you. Tell them your fear and ask them to help you conquer it by committing to be by your side in your endeavor.
Find a church and stick to it. If you keep allowing your fear to move you, everything will always be unfamiliar. If you all God to root you in a church He will give you a family and you will grow last the unfamiliarity.

Dec 21, 2012
Well, I would say that by looking to our Good Shepherd, Jesus Christ, by placing confidence in Him, He will finish His work in you and thus will be helping you to follow Him and even being a witness for Him out of love for others which He will also supply you with.

John 8:[SUP]31 [/SUP]Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; [SUP]32 [/SUP]And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.......[SUP]36 [/SUP]If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Do rely Him to help you understand the King James Bible as it keeping to the message in His words.

Philippians 1:[SUP]6 [/SUP]Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:.....[SUP]9 [/SUP]And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; [SUP]10 [/SUP]That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ. [SUP]11 [/SUP]Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

1 John 4:[SUP]16 [/SUP]And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him. [SUP]17 [/SUP]Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world. [SUP]18 [/SUP]There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. [SUP]19 [/SUP]We love him, because he first loved us. [SUP]20 [/SUP]If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? [SUP]21 [/SUP]And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

Since He is within you and is with you always, that is one connection that will transcend all others!!!

Colossians 1:[SUP]27 [/SUP]To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: [SUP]28 [/SUP]Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

Colossians 2:[SUP]5 [/SUP]For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ. [SUP]6 [/SUP]As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: [SUP]7 [/SUP]Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.

Sometimes love requires us to withdraw from a unrepentant brother or an unrepentant church.

2 Thessalonians 3:[SUP]5 [/SUP]And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ. [SUP]6 [/SUP]Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us. [SUP]7 [/SUP]For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you;....[SUP]12 [/SUP]Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread. [SUP]13 [/SUP]But ye, brethren, be not weary in well doing. [SUP]14 [/SUP]And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed. [SUP]15 [/SUP]Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother. [SUP]16 [/SUP]Now the Lord of peace himself give you peace always by all means. The Lord be with you all.

Trust Jesus in being your Good Shepherd in leading you in the way you ought to go.

S

sunnygurl

Hi Tim, Firstly being a Christian is accepting Christ as your Saviour and repenting, which makes one a Christian. Going to church definitely helps in one's Christian walk but it is our daily relationship and communciation with God that truly establishes us as His children. I feel for you in this dilemma fear can be overwhelming but God can break through ANY fear we have. I agree with what Jordache said if you have a friend to attend with this will reduce the fear factor for you. Pray that you will find a church that meets your needs, welcomes you like a brother and that it feels like home. I hope you enjoy your time of fellowship at CC. God bless you Tim :D

Nov 26, 2012
Hey Tim, welcome to CC. I don't get to church as often as I should but I'm sure I'm a Christian. What if you got familiar with a church when everybody else isn't there? Maybe inching your way in, meeting a few people at a time so it's not altogether overwhelming. There may be an opportunity for small groups and thousands of sermons on line. I found CC is a great place for Spiritual food and fellowship. Good luck.

Dec 25, 2012
Hi Tuss

You've come to the right place. I joined not too long ago trying to find people who would help me in my walk with God. Also to open up with ppl who I didn't have to worry about seeing face to face or care about judgement. I've met really good people here who are open and direct when they need to be. Make this your place to come and learn about God and search for people who will help you and encourage you. Glad you are here.

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
Going to church doesn't make a person a Christian but Christians are told to not avoid fellow-shipping together...so I guess that means we should (and need to) seek out other Christians for support and encouragement. There are several good suggestions above for conquering your fear of unfamiliar places. I think most people dread new environments so you're not alone in that.

If you desire a smaller group, many churches have small groups that meet in people's homes. That may be a good place to start.

Praying for you...guidance and strength :).

H

hattiebod

Hi Tim & welcome to CC, I am quite new here too and I find its a really good way to spend some time with fellow believers, learn, be challenged and just read posts and soak in the word. I can see many get a lot of support & encouragement. I know many Christians who do not attend church for multiple reasons but I would have to stick with scripture :) and say finding a fellowship you could be comfortable in would be such a blessing for you. Anxiety is a challenge (i actually work in this field) i do appreciate its hard for you to go somewhere new but perhaps look into going to a small church, even an evening or mid week service that may be less crowded. Arrive just as service starts on the first visit, so you do not have to run the gauntlet of welcoming brothers & sisters :) Asking someone to go with you is a great idea, already mentioned and maybe visiting the church when there is no service on at all, so you can check it out, see the seating etc and then it will not be so unfamiliar. If you do go to a church you will then be able to get involved with others, at a level to begin with that you are comfortable with. It is best to attend a church, for many reasons. Many do not because they think they can be 'Christians' out with a church and of course you can but Gods Word tells us we are to fellowship within a church. It is so we can meet to pray, worship, give thanks, be taught, teach, give the Word to others, to encourage, to support & build but, it is also so we can develop our 'Fruits of the Spirit'. We can be challenged by others and learn to be humble, patient, kind, learn self control etc. It is so easy to love and be kind to those we like but it is a learning curve to be loving and kind to those we do not feel a connection with. These are some of the many things we can learn, through His Grace, in a church. As for strengthening your relationship with God? you ought to give of your daily time to the Lord, read your Bible, pray and study your Bible. It is good to meet with other Bible believing brothers & sisters ( you can do that here, but in person is also good) Ask for wisdom & discernment...as you will need both! God Bless you, God knows the desires of your heart, step out in Faith, believe he will reveal His Truths to you, believe you can be freed from the anxieties you carry, they are not want He wants for you. Believing & doing are not the same as we know, its easy to say, hard to do! but you can be released from your fear. Take a first step. Even a climb up Everest starts with a step out the front door! Step out in faith, confident as a loved & cherished child of God (how awesome is that!! :) & God will Bless you , <><