Need Marital Advice

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jo26

I got married in 2008 and due to very unfortunate circumstances my husband and I got a divorce. In 2012 we reconciled but have yet to re-marry or renew our vows to each other. We do live together and act as a married couple. Is this fornicating in Gods eyes? even if its with the same man I once married?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

J

B

BarlyGurl

well... I cannot speak for God... but in the public eye and your own... you are not married to this man so despite the fact that you once WHERE married to him... at this point it is merely shacking up. It is not a very good testimony for bible believing Christians and and I think that matters more than whether your previous divorce was biblical or not. I would recommend separating until you both decide that re-marriage or permanent parting is the solution and follow through.

D

danschance

Hard to say and the answer might be complicated.

1) The easy answer (though it may not be 100% correct in your circumstance) is that if you are not married, it is adultry/fornication.

2) However, if you divorce was not on biblical grounds, then God may not recognize it and may see you both as being married together. (Mathew 5:32)

3) If you conscience is saying it is wrong and you do it anyway, then it might be wrong. (Romans 14:23)

Maybe you should talk it over with a local pastor?

T

tenderhearted

I am sorry that you guys are divorced. To answer your question, when you divorced you broke the covenant that you made in front of God. Therefore living together is fornication because you are no longer married. I get the feeling that the reason your asking is because God has convicted you. The LORD convicts those he loves. It sounds like you and your ex-husband still love each other. Our God is a forgiving God. You should talk to your ex-husband about remarrying. Trust God and his perfect will for marriage. Pray about it.

sandtigeress

Apr 29, 2013
what does yout heart say, do you feel married at the moment ?
God looks into our hearts.

do you refer to your partner as your husband in your mind ?
How did you feel after the devorce, did it feel like the end of your relationship ?
God looks into our hearts and he is a loving god.

But you might remarry soon, so you don't question yourself and your partner anymore.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I think you're going to get a lot of different answers about this.

You're obviously concerned about it... this would probably be a good time to have some counseling sessions with your pastor.

I

intercessorginger

Wow, this is kind of complicated Jo. Jesus always did things "decently", such as being baptized by John because it was right and fitting. It is right and fitting that a couple living as a married, actually be married. Make sure it's what you really want. Marriage is forever.

Jeshuvan

Pastor
Staff member
Apr 15, 2012
Hi,the answer 2 this question is easy,it is yes.

AAAPlus

Aug 2, 2011
God's Word says that you must not get divorced, but if you do get divorced, to remain single or be reconciled to your husband. You are being reconciled to your husband, so you are not fornicating and you are not sinning in God's eyes.

You should get married again though! It would be a great example to the world and those you know.

J

jinx

I got married in 2008 and due to very unfortunate circumstances my husband and I got a divorce. In 2012 we reconciled but have yet to re-marry or renew our vows to each other. We do live together and act as a married couple. Is this fornicating in Gods eyes? even if its with the same man I once married?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

J
just get married again...LOL

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
Yes, you need to repeat your vows to each other again in front of God and witnesses. The act of recommitting to a covenant relationship is very important. It works like glue to get you through the tough times. So happy to hear that you have reconciled :).

Z

zaoman32

That's a good question. Obviously a lot of people on here believe in speaking the vows and going through the whole marriage ceremony and making everything official. Honestly from my perspective, at this point I don't see why you don't. You were married before, it seems pretty obvious your reconnecting, why not go through it and have a clean conscious rather then be worried about whether or not you're living in sin?