Needed for Spiritual Growth part 5

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
5. Consecration (Romans 12:1, Romans 6:13)

Consecration has at least two aspects. First, it means to separate from things that are unclean or for purposes unrelated to the Spiritual realm. You would not expect a surgeon to operate on the cafeteria's workbench, for example. The operating table is set apart for medical use. God seeks those who will turn away from what is unclean and worldly. We are not able to escape the world, but we do not have to go along with its ways either.

The second aspect is the positive dedication of the individual to God's service. Romans 12:1 tells us, "Therefore I urge you, brothers, on account of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God, which is your spiritual service of worship." I note the following:
1. It's a choiced that believers must make. Paul urges the Roman Christians to consecrate themselves, but he cannot compel them
2. We are not saved by consecrating ourselves.
3. It is a response to God's mercy. When we see just how much God has forgiven us, consecration is easy.
4. It is practical. We are called to offer our bodies, not some kind of mental, mystical or philosophical assent to God's calling
5. Consecration is for the living in Christ. Those who have yet to know that they are new creations in Christ are of little value in God's service.
6. Much is made of worship in the modern church. However, hand waving, banal songs of dubious spiritual worth, hyped up emotion, jumping around and such are not worship. I've turned the volume down and watched some of these so called worship meetings. There is very little difference between them and a secular rock concert. I like to sing and I am musical. I play guitar, not very well. We sing at home and we have the presence of the Lord. My wife likes to dance before the Lord, just by herself. It could not be more different from the hyped up atmosphere of so-called worship meetings.

Forgive me for a bit of a rant. I believe it is justified. Some years ago, I attended a church where a well known Christian band was based. The band was performing elsewhere in the afternoon and was supposed to be at the evening meeting. They were late. The pastor seemed not to know what to do. The people just waited and chatted among themselves. Finally, the band showed up. The show could begin! And that was exactly what it was like.

Juan Carlos Ortiz also witnessed this kind of thing. He said what i thought at the time. The church did not miss the presence of the Lord. They missed the presence of the band!

Jesus said to His followers, "Why do you call me Lord yet do not obey me?" (Paraphrase). My wife and I love to sing to the Lord, but we also know that it is of little value if we have nothing to do with Him the rest of the time.

Romans 6:13 is saying the same thing a little differently: "Do not present the parts of your body to sin as instruments of wickedness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and present the parts of your body to Him as instruments of righteousness."

Some of what I say is included in previous posts. The same truths can be applied in other aspects of the Christian life also. God is creating a wonderful tapestry of life, weaving together truth, experiences, good works, even failures and defeats. All for our good and His glory. Don't be afraid of consecrating yourself. There is no higher calling than to serve the Risen saviour who served God so faithfully, and gave Himself for us also.