new american standard bible

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 16, 2011
does anyone read the new american standard bible? does anyone know anything about it?

Jan 14, 2010
i've read some of it.
I think it's a pretty good translation, but when I read, i tend to stay with the NKJV or KJV, but that's just me.

anyways, it is a very literal translation. A friend of mine uses it when she has devotions and study. From an eschatology point of view, it favors the premillennial view in it's translation of Revelation 20:4-6. If you want to read it, I would say go ahead. it isn't that bad of a translation. like I said before, i dont mind it. i dont use it as much anymore personally, but that's just a personal preference

S

Shwagga

does anyone read the new american standard bible? does anyone know anything about it?
It's a great translation. I highly recommend it.

Here is a brief summary on the NASB from the BibleGateway website. http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/New-American-Standard-Bible-NASB/

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
I have that bible and I think it comes from the same sort of thinking as the NKJV.. like the KJV put into American English. When I read the NKJV and the NASB then doesn't seem to be alot of difference..

BUT

something that put me off the NASB is that it had in it's margin commenting on the leviathan.. as a 'crocodile'

First from the langauge of scripture.. the thing is very very big. Second it can breathe smoke or fire. And the way the tail is described doesn't seem like a crocs.

I for one could only accept crocodile possibly if they meant the ancient kind of crocodiles.. which were huge and all.. but still.. it wouldn't fit the whole picture.

Anyhoo..

It just stinks to me of trying to fit something that they can't quite explain into a animal that is recognisable today. So I see this.. and I think.. well what else have they tried to 'modernise'?

Or else I think.. are they trying to fit evolutionary biology into the bible?

And in the end I think they should have left their own interpretation out of it!

M

MaggieMye

I've heard that it is the most correct translation, maybe even more correct than the KJV. It's my favorite!
Maggie