New Testament References to Old Testament Scriptures

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 5, 2015
I noticed today that almost every book in the New Testament contains quotations from the Old Testament – only the small books of Titus, Philemon, 1[SUP]st[/SUP], 2[SUP]nd[/SUP], and 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] John, and Jude don’t quote the Old Testament that I saw. What I am wondering is why so many professing Christians refuse to have anything to do with the Old Testament except for the dramatic stories like the ones about Noah and Moses. It seems to me that the fact that the Old is quoted so much in the New that it is simply one more confirmation that the Bible is one fascinating story from Genesis through Revelation, all of which is necessary for us to understand God’s amazing plan so we can have the relationship with Him restored to the state God originally designed.

I thought it would be interesting to see if people would like to contribute their thoughts and compare scriptures they have noticed where the New Testament quotes the Old Testament, and share a little commentary of personal thoughts on it.

For instance, Paul obviously thought this was important because he wrote it to both the Romans and the Galatians:
Romans 10:5 (NAS)
For Moses writes that the man who practices the righteousness which is based on law shall live by that righteousness.
Galatians 3:12 (NAS)
However, the Law is not of faith; on the contrary, "HE WHO PRACTICES THEM SHALL LIVE BY THEM."
And it is found in the Old Testament at:
Habakkuk 2:4 (NAS)
Behold, as for the proud one, His soul is not right within him; But the righteous will live by his faith.

From it we can see that we will live what is in our hearts whether it be righteousness and faith or something else.

Dec 12, 2013
I love the O.T. and have said more times than I can count on my fingers and toes that in order to understand the N.T. fully one needs a good solid foundation in the O.T...Jesus said to search the scriptures for they are they which testify of me<----when stated the N.T. had not even been written yet...The O.T. is full of pictures, paintings, types and shadows that are fulfilled in the N.T.........

A

atwhatcost

I am lazy, by nature, and this is my Sabbath Day rest (plus dinner is coming soon), so feeling particularly unmotivated. But I do remember seeing four verses in the first chapter of Hebrews that are quotes from OT.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I believe Jude quotes from the Book of Enosh. That doesn't make Enosh Scripture, just that it was quoted from accurately.

As for not reading or believing the OT, who said that? I don't know anyone who doesn't read the OT.

I read 4 chapters from the OT every day, and only one from the NT. Because the OT is so much longer, and because I love the Psalms so much.

Now if you mean keeping the Levitical laws or celebrating the feasts, well, not so much! Those things have passed away, when Christ rose from the dead, fulfilling the law, and make us new in him.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come." 2 Cor. 5:17

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
He
(Jesus) said to them, "This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms." Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. He told them, "This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem."

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction,
that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

(Romans 15:4)

this

P

psalm6819

The beautiful love story of Ruth foreshadows redemption and shows Jesus as our Kinsman and Redeemer. I love searching for Jesus in the Old Testament.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.
(John 4:14)

For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink.
(John 6:55)

compare:

My people have committed two sins:
They have forsaken me, the spring of living water,
and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water.

(Jeremiah 2:13)

Then he brought me back to the door of the temple, and behold, water was issuing from below the threshold of the temple toward the east (for the temple faced east). The water was flowing down from below the south end of the threshold of the temple, south of the altar.
Then he brought me out by way of the north gate and led me around on the outside to the outer gate that faces toward the east; and behold, the water was trickling out on the south side.

(Ezekiel 47:1-2)​

alas and alack! ! and mankind rejects this?

He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him.
(John 1:10)

Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.
(John 4:10)

The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let the one who hears say, "Come!" Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life.
(Revelation 22:17)​

this is also foretold:
Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.
(Isaiah 55:1)​

and this is fulfilled in Him --

On the last and greatest day of the festival, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink.Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.
(John 7:37-38)​

which was foretold:

In that day you will say:

“I will praise you, Lord.
Although you were angry with me,
your anger has turned away
and you have comforted me.
Surely God is my salvation;
I will trust and not be afraid.
The Lord, the Lord himself,
is my strength and my defense;
he has become my salvation.”

With joy you will draw water
from the wells of salvation.

(Isaiah 12:1-3)

this is also showing that Jesus is Lord, because in Jeremiah 2 (quoted above), Yah calls Himself the fountain of living water.

you can follow this Water all through the scripture;

You care for the land and water it; you enrich it abundantly. The streams of God are filled with water to provide the people with grain, for so you have ordained it.
(Psalm 65:9)​

this is more than just good harvest -- but spiritual life

He turned the desert into pools of water and the parched ground into flowing springs
(Psalm 107:35)​

this is more than caring for Israel in the wilderness, but for us, Christ. more than physical life - eternal!

Jesus answered, "Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit."
(John 3:5)​

if you think this is just H[SUB]2[/SUB]O baptism, you're missing a wealth of spiritual understanding. you're only seeing the surface.

Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’
Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.
(John 7:38-39)

Christ has become for us, Wisdom:

The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life,
turning a person from the snares of death.

(Proverbs 14:27)​

and Hope, and Salvation! the Living Water that we are born in:

LORD, you are the hope of Israel; all who forsake you will be put to shame. Those who turn away from you will be written in the dust because they have forsaken the LORD, the spring of living water.
(Jeremiah 17:13)​

He is the Living Water. He is Life.
we are made into His temple, and indwelt by His Spirit, so that this Water flows out of us.

Going on eastward with a measuring line in his hand, the man measured a thousand cubits,[a] and then led me through the water, and it was ankle-deep.
Again he measured a thousand, and led me through the water, and it was knee-deep. Again he measured a thousand, and led me through the water, and it was waist-deep.
Again he measured a thousand, and it was a river that I could not pass through, for the water had risen. It was deep enough to swim in, a river that could not be passed through.
And he said to me, “Son of man,have you seen this?

(Ezekiel 47:3-6)

man, you could just go on and on and on! this Water grows deeper and deeper and deeper, and every kind of good fruit grows from the trees that are fed by it, and every kind of creature drinks :)

Last edited:

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
As for not reading or believing the OT, who said that? I don't know anyone who doesn't read the OT.
when i met my wife, she was almost completely unfamiliar with the OT.

she grew up Epicopal -- dunno if that's the norm for them, but she says it was never taught. that's changed now :)

Aug 5, 2015
Now if you mean keeping the Levitical laws or celebrating the feasts, well, not so much! Those things have passed away, when Christ rose from the dead, fulfilling the law, and make us new in him.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation.The old has passed away; behold, the new has come." 2 Cor. 5:17
I take it that according to 1 Corinthians 5:8, the feasts were still celebrated after the Messiah was crucified, which is New Testament.
1 Corinthians 5:8 (NAS) Therefore let us celebrate the feast, not with old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
1 Corinthians 5:8 (Geneva Bible) Therefore let us keep the [a]feast, not with old leaven, neither in the leaven of maliciousness and wickedness: but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
1 Corinthians 5:8 (CJB) So let us celebrate the Seder not with leftover hametz, the hametz of wickedness and evil, but with the matzah of purity and truth.

It is obvious that Paul was also speaking of the spiritual attributes, which makes total sense to me. The Old was physical so we would understand the spiritual when we would become the temple (I Corinthians 3:16 and 6:19) I remember well the “aha! moment” when I finally understood how it works.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I know of Jacob's Well, (Jn 4) does that count :p

Aug 5, 2015
Romans 14:11 (NAS) For it is written, "AS I LIVE, SAYS THE LORD, EVERY KNEE SHALL BOW TO ME, AND EVERY TONGUE SHALL GIVE PRAISE TO GOD."

Isaiah 45:23 (NAS) "I have sworn by Myself, The word has gone forth from My mouth in righteousness And will not turn back, That to Me every knee will bow, every tongue will swear allegiance.”

I would expound on the message contained in these verses, but I think it is sufficiently obvious!

Mar 4, 2013
Romans 14:11 (NAS) For it is written, "AS I LIVE, SAYS THE LORD, EVERY KNEE SHALL BOW TO ME, AND EVERY TONGUE SHALL GIVE PRAISE TO GOD."

Isaiah 45:23 (NAS) "I have sworn by Myself, The word has gone forth from My mouth in righteousness And will not turn back, That to Me every knee will bow, every tongue will swear allegiance.”

I would expound on the message contained in these verses, but I think it is sufficiently obvious!
The day is coming, and Jesus called it the night (darkness).
"I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work." (John 9:4)

"For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch." (Malachi 4:1)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Jesus frequently referred to Himself in the flesh as the Son of Man -- this refers to Daniel,

I saw in the night visions,
and behold, with the clouds of heaven
there came one like a son of man,
and he came to the Ancient of Days
and was presented before him.
And to him was given dominion
and glory and a kingdom,
that all peoples, nations, and languages
should serve him;
his dominion is an everlasting dominion,
which shall not pass away,
and his kingdom one
that shall not be destroyed.

(Daniel 7:13-14)

this is with Daniels visions of the four beasts - which troubled him a great deal, and he asked about them, and the angel, explaining about the beasts also said

But the saints of the Most High shall receive the kingdom and possess the kingdom forever, forever and ever.
(Daniel 7:18)

and then further explaining about the fourth beast in particular, the angel tells that this beast's power and dominion will be taken away, and specifically

But the court shall sit in judgment,
and his dominion shall be taken away,
to be consumed and destroyed to the end.
And the kingdom and the dominion
and the greatness of the kingdoms under the whole heaven
shall be given to the people of the saints of the Most High;
his kingdom shall be an everlasting kingdom,
and all dominions shall serve and obey him.

(Daniel 7:26-27)

see how that this dominion and kingdom are spoken of as being given both (singular) to the Son of Man, and also (plural) to the Saints of the Most High?
this is congruous with how Paul talks about us being found in Him -- and how that we are become His body & temple. we do not yet know what we will be, when His salvation for us is come to full maturity on that day, but we will be one with Him !! :)

how great is our God? how great this gift!!