New to church (sort of)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Seeker24

So today I am attending my first christian church since I was 8 years old. Parents are not religious, only person in my family who is is my grandma and nobody likes her.

So its a little nerve wracking but i feel like its something i must do.. My boyfriend is going with me because hes in my same situation.
Neither of us have ever read more then a few pages of the bible. The only thing I know about GOD or JESUS is what I've heard on TV, and only small bits from when I was a teeny kid in bible school.

So, here goes!!

K

kate0558

Just remember one thing... not all churches are the same. So if something turns you off... just try a new church. There are a good deal of scary churches out there. I've been to churches before that I know if I didn't already believe in God... I wouldn't want to after going to that church.

B

bonnie2

The Bible is where we really learn about God. There's always the possibility that what we hear at church could just be the preacher's opinion.
Reading a few pages of the Bible is a great place to start. I would suggest that you read more, and see if what the preacher says matches up with what you're reading. It's not about if it "turns you off" because it's not about you! It's about God. Will you be hearing His word, or someone else's?
If you would like some advice about reading the Bible, I would suggest that you start in the gospels. That's where you'll learn about Jesus Christ. The gospel of John is my favorite, but I've been listening to an audio CD of Mark recently, and it's really good too. (Of course, they're all good- haha.)

B

bonnie2

Kate, after reading a few of your posts like this, I'm seeing that you think God should be the way you want Him to be. He is the way He is. He is much bigger than you, and He has the right to tell you the way you should be, not the other way around.