Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Chester

May 23, 2016
John 10:26-28 (HCSB)
26 But you don’t believe because you are not My sheep.
27 My sheep hear My voice, I know them, and they follow Me.
28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish—ever!
No one will snatch them out of My hand.

2 John 1:2 (HCSB)
2 because of the truth that remains in us and will be with us forever.

1 John 2:19 (HCSB)
19 They went out from us, but they did not belong to us; for if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us. However, they went out so that it might be made clear that none of them belongs to us.

Ephesians 2:4-5 (HCSB)
4 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love that He had for us,
5 made us alive with the Messiah even though we were dead in trespasses.
You are saved by grace!

Ephesians 2:8-9 (HCSB)
8 For you are saved by grace through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God’s gift
9 not from works, so that no one can boast.

Philippians 1:5-6 (HCSB)
5 because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now.
6 I am sure of this, that He who started a good work in you
will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

1 Peter 1:3-5 (HCSB)
3 Praise the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. According to His great mercy, He has given us a new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead
4 and into an inheritance that is imperishable, uncorrupted, and unfading, kept in heaven for you.
5 You are being protected by God’s power through faith for a salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.
These promises apply to those who are believing in Christ, not those who at one point in time believed.

May 20, 2018
Ohio
spreading false doctrine when you have no assurance you speak sound truth is a very damaging thing. This can be very detrimental to newcomers and babes in Christ.
Legalism has already damaged the truth in the core doctrines of Christianity that many, oh soooo many are repulsed by the improper handling of the word and worldly judgement in self proclaimed Christians that it is evident that it wil play a major role leading to the last days.
There is evil lurking in these pages whether it is applied with humility and suttle approach. It is lies from the enemy, and i pray for those fooled by the lies of the master of lies.
Let's pray for all who wake daily to try and conquer h lol and high water to obtain salvation. Let us pray they receive the love of God through the truth and the fact that God has loved them so very much that he saved them as they were scum, filth, outcasts, and pure wicked beings according to his righteousness, and that it is God that justifies because we will always be sin ridden and impure to be connected to God in any form. But by his grace and gift tof the spirit he has made us pure for him. Out of LOVE for HIS glory we benefit.
Remember while we are quoting John, he says that God IS love. To me that means that love is not a mere attribute of Gods, the the very essence of his being in which ALL that proceeds from him comes. His creation, will, attributes, grace, etc., comes from a love we can not even begin to begin to imagine to imagine.
Please understand God did not leave your eternal destination into a perfect and holy existence we can not fathom in the hands of a changing, wavering, sin ridden, filthy sinful being like ourselves.
Get the truth on why it is the GOOD NEWS.
Dear lord please reveal your truth the lost souls fooled by the deceit of the devil. In Jesus name...amen.

E

eternally-gratefull

OK, so you say that Jesus met all the conditions because I could not meet even one condition, so Jesus did it all.

So let's explore that concept.

There is one condition that all must meet, and that is we must at least believe in Jesus as the Son of God.
But you say that this is a condition that was met by God Himself. Apparently we do not even have the capacity to meet this condition, and so it was taken care of by God.
You can believe all you want, if not for the work of christ on th cross, of the HS leading and drawing you, and the price of redemption, you would still be condemned.

Jesus is offering you eternal life, you eithe take it in humility or reject it in unbelief, thats not a condition, god is not offering you conditional life. He is offering you eternal life, now you want to mock him and force conditions that you can do t earn eternal life and think he will save you? Good luck with that.

If God meets the condition of belief, then God also is the One that does not meet the condition for those that do not believe. IOW, God decides from the very beginning who will have EL and who will have Eternal Hell. Wow, geesh, wow, is that how it works Mr. Calvin.
You got calvin stuck on your brain, and it is obvious you have no idea what i am saying or believe, or you would not have made this comment, i never said or insinuated any of the above!

Does God decide who goes to Hell, to suffer unbelievable tortures for all eternity? Is that really how you get around the first condition of believing?
well yeah actually he does. And is not not concerned whether you like it or not.

Now lets take a look at the condition of love.

After you believe and are saved by a mysterious random selection, God now automatically imputes faith and love into your brain. This action by God, guarentees that you will be there until the time of judgement. God does this imputing to those He has selected to believe so that they will meet the condition of charity/love. Love for God becomes a condition, because if you do not it, you will not have EL.

And finally, no murderer has EL abiding in him. 1 John 3:15.
This makes utterly no sense at all, god does not mysteriusly randomly select, nor does he impute faith and or love to your brain, i think again your suffering from calvinitis. [/quote]

E

eternally-gratefull

I understand your point. Just looking for that place of being together where I can feel comfortable and believe I'm with like-minded people.
No problem with that at all, thas what a home church should be.

Dec 12, 2013
d......,
I and a SS class are doing a study on this very point, concerning several new age religion re-interpretations of scriptures;

No baptism necessary ( for several reasons!!!)
No repentance necessary
No church attendance necesarry.
No righteous living necessary.
Faith only is needed for eternal salvation
OSAS
Saved. here on earth....... preempting/precluding/superseding G-d's judgement.

All of which could directly impact our receiving eternal salvation.

So far it appears these new age interpretations have come into view and perpetuated since the 1960's when the moral and civil revolution began.

We shall see in a few months.
Well, no one I know that teaches eternal security believes and or teaches the things you listed above...and I know preachers who pastor churches in like 15 states and at least half a dozen countries.

benhur

Feb 8, 2018
I understand your point. Just looking for that place of being together where I can feel comfortable and believe I'm with like-minded people.
The only place where people will be like-minded is going to be in heaven. Until then, we must know they will err, but we will be ready and willing to forgive 70 X 70 often. As you can see on this forum there are very many beliefs floating around and we have to take that situation and learn and live. So wake up one morning and tell youself your going to church and then go with happiness and worship the Lord. Let us know how it all went. We are praying for you.

May 20, 2018
Ohio
Also no back biters, thieves, and many other things that are sinful and can be used to label a person can enter into the kingdom of heaven. Now, God does not change, I'm sure we all agree to that. So why did he chose a mrderer to become the most important (in human standards) prophet in the Old Testament? Was not Moses a murderer?
Let's look at the parts in the Old Testament where God command Israel to conquer a city, including kill the women and children and pillage the remains. Let's look at the part where Christ says it would of been better for Judas to have never been born than betray Christ. And we can't forget the blessing of Mother Mary chosen to birth Christ.
So we have God who does not change, and a God who chooses to bestow grace upon who he chooses, and damnation (if it be his will) on whom he so chooses.
Luckily for myself and all other true children of God, we are not, nor will we never be any of those things mentioned on the list that keeps one out of the kingdom of heaven because we were made pure through Christ, and it is how God sees us that matters. IT IS GOD WHO JUSTIFIES. Not you, me, our love, our obedience, our picking our noses....GOD.
Soooooooo, here is this awesome God who does everything for his glory. Everything, including saving our souls. I'm pretty sure God is not going to put the condition of receiving glory in our hands. I can't see it.
See, now the random part we agree on that you mentioned. I believe Christ compares it to figuring out which way the wind blows. That is how random the choosing is.
Now see, you can throw a name to a doctrinal belief that can drag a negative view of it, but it is a sure truth in my soul that God is not bound by time nor space. Somewhere in eternity God, in his almighty awesomeness drew the blueprint for existence, and all therein and throughout. He is creator of all that is seen and not seen. He IS the Faith that assures his children of the truth, and is the solid evidence of reinforcement that is beyond Faith but is just how it is. I hope for nothing, yet am blessed with confirment.
God has literally has given everything and anything seen and unseen....., oooohhhh the unfashionable wisdom of God.
The book of life (the oldest book mentioned in the Bible I believe) is a subject we can look at singled out. Here we have a book written by God somewhere in eternity that contains all the names of those that will be celebrating eternity in the presence of God. Now from what I understand, is that book was written and there will be no added names, nor erase or scratch-off marks, and is presently sealed until the lamb of God (the only one who can open the book). Now how you fathom the way in which you acquire eternal life then cool, just as long as it is the truth, and that is that everything you need to make it to heaven has already been granted to you before the foundation of the world in Christ.
That the awesomeness of God is all around awesomeness, filling any any all holes, not just the ones we reject or accept for whatever reason. That we (true Christians 🙀) know we love God first because we know how precious and sacred his extended and daily grace in our lives and relationship....because he loves our filthy selves and is merciful with our daily disobedience because he first knows we try out of love, and when we slack we still love him first because he is forgiving.
I would not be able to accomplish anything without God first granting it. Nothing physical, let alone spiritually alive.
Call it what you want, but don't call the will and word of God weak by spreading lies with the truth.
We know who we are who love and are loved and blessed by God. Heck, if you read this far down with my gibberish, please comment.

benhur

Feb 8, 2018
and what are those commands? believe in the name of the Son and love one another.

same man, same letter.
We believe in Jesus, that is not the problem. The problem is defining what 'love one another' looks like. Like justpassinthrough says, love is the sum total of his commandments. I will say it another way. The commandments Jesus gives us is the sum total of his love. For these commandments help us to know what we would do if we truly love God and love our fellow men.

So you are right and justpassingthrough is right too. 1 John 2 & 3 should satisfy both of you.

We are afraid that you are too focused on the belief side of the equation.

Dec 12, 2013
let's take this from the top. you quoted 1st John 2 for command keeping. I pointed out that in the same letter, chapter 3, John stated that the commands are believe in the name of the Son and love one another.

so, you as you did here, attach all this meaning to what John said , which he did not say.

John's words - believe in the name of the Son and love one another.

all other stuff you said is NOT THERE. John did NOT say these things.

so, by you adding all this meanings , that is deceit.
Exactly why I do not address him....twists, embellishes, misrepresents, adds to, changes, rejects words, phrases and context to push his loseble, heretical I keep my self saved drivel....

Dec 12, 2013
These promises apply to those who are believing in Christ, not those who at one point in time believed.
Your Jesus must be a weak inept liar....

Mine...

Saves to the uttermost
Gives the IRREVOCABLE gift of ETERNAL life NOT temporal
Mine Initiates, Finishes and Completes the work of faith he BEGINS
Mine leaves the 99 to find the "SHEEP" that wanders away <--not goat
Mine seals me UNTO the day of redemption
MINE KEEPS me by HIS power through FAITH "SEE above INITIATED FAITH"
MINE states NOTHING can separate me FROM his LOVE
MINE Has GRACE that OUTBOUNDS my sins and preemptively covers me
MINE said that when he sees the BLOOD he will pass over me
MINE has taken ALL my sin and imputed HIS righteouness by faith "SEE above INITIATED FAITH"
MINE justifies me by HIS FAITH
MINE said that even if we believe NOT after belief HE abides FAITHFUL because he cannot deny himself
MINE has me in HIS hand and in the HEAVENLY FATHER's HAND and NO man can yank me from that position
MINE Justifies e eternally
MINE Sanctifies me ETERNALLY

What a weak, ineffectual god you serve.........and ALL who devalue his promises and power WILL PAY THE PRICE.......

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Yo.. here's the skinny.. GOD IS NOT A LIAR.. He keeps His promises, to all who believe, and even to those who "at one time" believed. A Christian CANNOT stop believing in God. They may lose their way for awhile, and I'm sure several here have. But they never truly stop believing.

Don't y'all just love how I come out of nowhere and post? :p Yes you do, admit it now. Y'all miss me when I ain't around.. lol

T

theanointedsinner

Your Jesus must be a weak inept liar....

Mine...

Saves to the uttermost
Gives the IRREVOCABLE gift of ETERNAL life NOT temporal
Mine Initiates, Finishes and Completes the work of faith he BEGINS
Mine leaves the 99 to find the "SHEEP" that wanders away <--not goat
Mine seals me UNTO the day of redemption
MINE KEEPS me by HIS power through FAITH "SEE above INITIATED FAITH"
MINE states NOTHING can separate me FROM his LOVE
MINE Has GRACE that OUTBOUNDS my sins and preemptively covers me
MINE said that when he sees the BLOOD he will pass over me
MINE has taken ALL my sin and imputed HIS righteouness by faith "SEE above INITIATED FAITH"
MINE justifies me by HIS FAITH
MINE said that even if we believe NOT after belief HE abides FAITHFUL because he cannot deny himself
MINE has me in HIS hand and in the HEAVENLY FATHER's HAND and NO man can yank me from that position
MINE Justifies e eternally
MINE Sanctifies me ETERNALLY

What a weak, ineffectual god you serve.........and ALL who devalue his promises and power WILL PAY THE PRICE.......
Lord, I thank you that you prompt me ... long story short, thank you that I don't have to pay the price
regardless of the conditions of our heart, may we trust in God's most IRREVOCABLE most UTMOST love that he can possibly provide, and protect us from the ways of false doctrines, no matter how discouraging our christian walk can be sometimes.

T

theanointedsinner

utmost (Hebrews 7:25) <-- if the world see us celebrating, or "bowing
down at the spiritual feet of Jesus" just because we see a txt message
like that, the world will thing that we are crazy because it's
spiritually discerned

utmost (Hebrews 7:25) <-- lots of meaning, in as few words as possible!

Seohce

Jul 15, 2016
Isaiah 5 : 20-24
20 Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.
21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes and clever in their own sight.
22 Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks,
23 who acquit the guilty for a bribe, but deny justice to the innocent.
24 Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the LORD Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel.

T

theanointedsinner

if allowing God's love fill the heart of Christians to the point where the sensitivity of God's love make Christians love others, wouldn't this be far better than obey grudgingly?

you don't have to do this grudgingly, release your burdens to God and let the weight be lifted off your shoulders

Seohce

Jul 15, 2016
Jude 1:5-19 Though you already know all this, I want to remind you that the Lord delivered his people out of Egypt, but later destroyed those who did not believe. And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their own home—these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day. In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. THEY SERVE AS AN EXAMPLE OF THOSE WHO SUFFER THE PUNISHMENT OF ETERNAL FIRE. In the very same way, these dreamers pollute their own bodies, reject authority and slander celestial beings. But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not dare to bring a slanderous accusation against him, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!” Yet these men speak abusively against whatever they do not understand; and what things they do understand by instinct, like unreasoning animals—these are the very things that destroy them. Woe to them! They have taken the way of Cain; they have rushed for profit into Balaam’s error; they have been destroyed in Korah’s rebellion. These men are blemishes at your love feasts, eating with you without the slightest qualm—shepherds who feed only themselves. They are clouds without rain, blown along by the wind; autumn trees, without fruit and uprooted—twice dead. They are wild waves of the sea, foaming up their shame; wandering stars, for whom blackest darkness has been reserved forever. Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men: “See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones to judge everyone, and to convict all the ungodly of all the ungodly acts they have done in the ungodly way, and of all the harsh words ungodly sinners have spoken against him.” These men are grumblers and faultfinders; they follow their own evil desires; they boast about themselves and flatter others for their own advantage. But, dear friends, remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ foretold. They said to you, "IN THE LAST TIMES there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires.” THESE ARE THE MEN WHO DIVIDE YOU, who follow mere natural instincts and DO NOT HAVE THE SPIRIT.

James 2 : 26
26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

Matthew 24:10-13 AT THAT TIME MANY WILL TURN AWAY FROM THE FAITH and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, BUT HE WHO STANDS FIRM TO THE END WILL BE SAVED.

Ephesians 5:6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things GOD'S WRATH COMES ON THOSE WHO ARE DISOBEDIENT.

Romans 2:13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.
Romans 15:4 FOR EVERYTHING THAT WAS WRITTEN IN THE PAST WAS WRITTEN TO TEACH US, so that through endurance and the of the Scriptures WE MIGHT HAVE HOPE.

Romans 8:22-24 We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. WHO HOPES FOR WHAT HE ALREADY HAS?

T

theanointedsinner

so tell me Seohce, how trustworthy is your heart?
and, did you ever experience once like ever that your heart is not trustworthy?
and how did you reconcile with that before letting such disappointment discourage you toward the worst?

Dec 12, 2013
John was clear...these things are written that YOU MAY KNOW......those who teach a losable salvation do NOT KNOW.....there is no assurance in a losable salvation that must be maintained by men, works and or religious hoops to jump through....

The eternal gift of life is IRREVOCABLE <---this word right here flat denounces a losable salvation....irrevocable means exactly that...regardless of the naysayers that reject the truth in favor of religious hoop jumping...

Dec 12, 2013
so tell me Seohce, how trustworthy is your heart?
and, did you ever experience once like ever that your heart is not trustworthy?
and how did you reconcile with that before letting such disappointment discourage you toward the worst?
So glad I no longer see his same bottomless bucket argument..he cannot even accept the fact that Paul was clear about JESUS becoming a curse for us temporarily <---Galatians.....

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
So glad I no longer see his same bottomless bucket argument..he cannot even accept the fact that Paul was clear about JESUS becoming a curse for us temporarily <---Galatians.....
I honestly can't under the 'woks' doctrine, who is so arrogant they think their works are ever enough, or good enough? kinda reminds me of a puppy chasing it's tail.:confused: