Not sure if this is health related...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
N

ngmoody

Fasting: Whats your opinon on it?
From restricting calories, to 24 hours with out eating, to staying away from electronics....just for examples (aka all fasts)

Dec 19, 2009
From restricting calories, to 24 hours with out eating, to staying away from electronics....just for examples (aka all fasts)
Fasting can be dangerous for people with blood sugar problems. I get very sick when I don't get enough to eat.

K

kenisyes

A lot depends on your age, and your diet and lifestyle. A normal 30 year old can easily go a day without eating, or a week on just liquids. But that assumes that you do not eat refined foods much, and have had regular exercise. These days, there are even 10 year olds so damaged, they could not handle that kind of fast. Staying away from electronics can only help (due to the emitted radiation) but the effect is so small as to be negligible for most people.

At my age, the only thing I get when I don't eat is hungry, and then I usually only notice it if I'm not busy, but as Resurrection pointed out, I am the exception, due to my diet and lifestyle.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jordache

Ken is right. It really depends. Another thing to consider is your own relationship with food when doing a food fast. Sometimes your fast becomes an idol. I could go without food for a month and be "fine". But that's because I was anorexic. My brain says some weird things when I don't eat.

Things I've fasted
1. Make-up
2. Internet
3. Facebook
4. Christian Char
5. Sweets

A

AllAlongTheOnesWatchTower

Anything you fast should be able to give time to the lord or the poor is my rule of thumb.

D

DragonSlayer

For healthy people, intermittent fasting is a must...but if you have any health problem, you should get rid of it first and see with your doctor if you are healthy enough to fast.

M

Married_Richenbrachen

I reckon if Jesus said his disciples were going to do it, and you're one of his disciples, its not going to hurt.

I do think its healthy, also, but I've read stories about people dying from fasting from the wrong thing (e.g. some new age crazies were trying to fast from everything except pure air - as the story went, that didn't end well. Myself, I find it hard to believe that people could be so dumb, but I did hear the story on the radio, so it could've been one of those lies mass media is famous for, just to keep listener interest piqued).

S

ServantStrike

I can't fast from food for more than about 12 hours without getting really weak or really cranky (or both).

I have been known to go on a "techno fast" on occasion (come to think of it's been a while). I'll just stay away from electronics. Or if I feel like I should have done better as a Christian about something, I'll delay doing an activity that was previously planned (unless it means cancelling with a friend, not fair to them to do that).

I find denying something that you do on a daily basis, whether it be a hobby, or your computer, or food, or whatever else you feel like you can't live without can really strengthen your faith.

May 15, 2013
Your body can go without food for a while. It live off the nutrients it has stored away but once it's depleted from its nutrients then it should be restored of its nutrients. But a person shouldn't keep on fasting more than once a week, or the body will not function properly. But fasting is to build up self-control by not letting yourself give into temptation. When you fast from certain things that you believe that you can't live without, you will learn how less important these items are. You should never put anything before God.

O

overcomer2

Such an encouraging topic. I always know when its a fast I've called for myself vs. a fast called by God. I have fasted and decided I wouldn't eat meat, well 5 hours later I would be sitting in front of steak that I was eating and realize I broke my fast. When God calls me on a fast which can be a variety of fasts for ex. only water but any type of food. No coffee, chocolate or bread or even no meals for the weekend, I always keep them. My spiritual man(woman) is always strengthened and renewed when I fast. I have seen mountains moved because of a fast.

N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

I'm hypoglycemic so i don't fast food.

I do however fast other things. T.v. Computer, sweets.

sanglina

Jul 28, 2012
Contrary to popular beliefs, I have observed a lot of folks (older men and women in their 40's, 50's & even 60's including my own parents) do fasting (24 hrs without food and ceasing from other normal activity) every now and then without landing in hospital.

That being said, Personally I am all for fasting (24 hr fast from food and other normal activity, only meditating on His word and communicating with Him through prayer) as it brings me into deeper relationship with Him.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Im a diabetic, so fasting is not possible for me.
As to staying away from elctronics?
Some people are sensitive to elctronics and the em fields they sometimes have.
My daughter is very sensitive, in fact it can cause her migraines.
If you are sensitive then try to avoid anything that has high em fields, there are testers for this to mesure the fields.

God blesspi
ckles

lydever91

Aug 5, 2011
My opinion? The Lord will nourish those who fast. It could be someone with blood sugar issues (hypo- or hyper-), eating disorders, anything. I even think he will nourish breastmilk for moms who nurse their child.

Maybe fasting and praying about one of the issues above will get rid of the problem (no more diabetes, etc.)

I don't think electronic fasts, smoothie fasts, etc. really count. A fast is staying away from what you need, not what you want